Would you take a shot of alcohol before an important interview?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 5, 2018.

1. because I just did that, had one shot of vodka 30 mins before a scholarship interview. This was advice from a friend who I look up to, he said ‘everyone I know does it’. But afterwards I searched the internet for other opinions and everyone said it’s a terrible idea lol, because if the interviewers smell booze in your breath that’d be bad. I drank water and had a mint after, so I don’t think they noticed, and I certainly think I did well in the interview (was relaxed, open, friendly, fluent and genuine), but maybe I shouldn’t have taken my friends advice so readily lol. Not to mention it wouldn’t be good to develop a habit of popping a shot before every important interview in my career.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Yo that's not a bad idea though. I have done that. I do that when I gotta do in class presentations (a.k.a in 2 days) - - - except it's a business professional presentation so idk.

But yeah it makes you more open and less anxiety. The key here is to not get drunk, but a shit is good. But make sure they can't smell it, you should've been fine w a mint

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. If you are that anxious about these things, I would suggest looking into a prescription for something to help you to relax. Beta-blockers are supposedly really good for interviews and speeches. Save the alcohol for a more appropriate setting.

4. Intelli Gent

Intelli Gent Fapstronaut

Quick answer : F$%k yes!!!!!!

5. simplest answer: uhuh!

p.s hope you get the job : )

6. Okedoke I was unsuccessful, big double thumbs down. There will be many other opportunities though

7. I guess...

8. My advice would be to not do it. It just reinstates the fact that you are nervous or worse, in a situation you couldn't deal with otherwise. I'm not saying that's the case, but I think it emphasizes a problem you should deal with in another way. Although you are in the majority with that problem. Try meditating, it's way more effective for me:

Try the link, see if you feel different. I'm way more relaxed and responsive when I do it.

And congratulations on two weeks!

u376 likes this.
  9. TheBarbarian

TheBarbarian Fapstronaut

I take chamomile before interviews

10. Bad idea.
    I have a sensitive sense of smell and I can smell alcohol on people if they've drank. Same with tobacco and worst of all marijuana (it literally smells like shit) .
    secondly that's a terrible way to deal with stress, breathing and other techniques mentioned here are much better.

Deleted Account and u376 like this.
  11. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

It's like curing one problem
    And inviting another

ivanhoe likes this.
  12. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

That was a terrible decision! First, you need to find a more mature role model. :rolleyes: Secondly, imbibing alcohol is not a way to cope with anything. :oops: On the other hand, at least you haven't wanked your Wallaby for two weeks, hahaha! :D :D :D

13. Good thing it isn't me hiring folks, because I can smell alcohol on someone no matter how they try to mask it. Alcohol is secreted from your pores even in tiny amounts, so you better hope you don't get someone that has a good sense of smell.

Besides, instead of relying on booze to get you through something especially as serious as getting a job, why not try other more appropriate methods?

14. Why are you drinking before an interview ? that's the biggest question I got are you trying to be something your not are you nervous? your potential employer already assumes that you want the job or you wouldn't have shown up . The best thing I ever did was be brutly honest with an employer and not give the common answers to there questions when they are hiring me there going to get ME RAW AND HONEST. like I say I would rather be honest than liked

Deleted Account, ivanhoe and u376 like this.
  15. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

yes......we have to be honest
    because ultimately our true personality will be out if we start working with them

16. Fair enough answers, I guess I didn’t think it through very much. Amazing how some of you claim to be able to detect alcohol in tiny amounts.

17. I would NEVER do that. Drugs just fuck up your mind and you need your mind when you are in a stressful situation like a job interview. It can only be bad. If you want to calm down, don't use drugs for it. Use meditation techniques instead. Focus. Drugs only distract.

18. Why not? It gets pushed out by your pores especially through perspiration and some folks are better at smelling than others, it's not that far a claim.

19. Yeah I believe you, I just didn’t know some people could smell it so well.

20. I know you can smell the alcohol from a drunk persons sweat, just didn’t think the effect would be the same in a person that has had one drink, almost an hour beforehand