1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To you, is love a choice or a feeling?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Only a psychopath would believe that! :D:p
    Point proved. :cool:

2. zoeneverdies

zoeneverdies Fapstronaut

It is a feeling, whether it be towards looks or virtue.

3. Feeling. I've been with my wife for a long time. I've had the opportunity to stray, been tempted by it, but haven't taken it. That was a choice I guess. But really, what we have wouldn't be the same for me if I did stray, even if she never found out.

So although it has been a choice at times, it's been a no brainer. Much like myself.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Cool story bro.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I know, sis.

6. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Zzz

7. AutumnPeace

AutumnPeace Fapstronaut

To me it's the hormones.

8. TaronEger

TaronEger Fapstronaut

For me, I would say it depends on the kind of love. If you are initially attracted to a person, then it will become feeling. If you are happy being with her, then it is still a feeling. But when things do not go as expected whether it be right or wrong, or when things become more complicated, it now turns into a choice. A choice to continue to being with someone, accepting for he/she is, even if it you are no longer happy like you were initially before. Feelings are the just the initial triggers, but in the end, it is our own freewill. It is up to us to choose to love unconditionally, or love because of the good or even the bad feelings. It is our power of choice to sacrifice for the good of other people especially those close to us to live meaningful lives. :emoji_angel:

9. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Is love a choice or a feeling?

Hmmm, guys ever heard that saying 'Falling in love', 'Love is blind' raise of hands anybody if you think that is a conscious decision / choice? Come on don't be shy.

I think elevate put it nicely, I'm paraphrasing, but when two people who are emotionally broken come together it is like fixing together two circles halves. No matter how hard you try they will never fit perfectly and both will be looking at one another to fix themselves and become one.

True love is like when two full circles overlap one another, both parties KNOW they are emotionally happy in themselves but together they enrich each other's lives.

Clearly those who think love is a choice, haven't really been in love or have known what it is like to feel a pain or intense happiness when that other person is close or about to leave. To paraphase a line from my favourite movie -'Good Will Hunting'

. . .they are describing what the ceiling of Sistine Chapel looks like because of what they've read/seen in a magasine yet they have NOT stood there in awe staring at the wonder of what is painted above them. Nor have they experienced the light breaking through the windows illuminating the masterpiece.

Guys rethink what it is you KNOW if you consider Love a choice.

10. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

I believe love is both a choice and a feeling.

I believe “real love” is about genuinely wanting the other person to thrive, with or without you. You want the best for said person because you want to see them happy. Not because you want them to make you happy. It's about giving without expecting or demanding reciprocation.

I also think love can be an action. You may have the feeling but you choose what to do with it. You can love people who bring you down, but then you have to make a choice to leave, because it's the best for the both of you in the long run. Sometimes letting the other go is the greatest and most selfless act of love you can do. That is an action of love towards the other and yourself.

If both of you give freely to each other in a healthy manner, then that's just great. Keep at it.

I don't believe true love is about sacrificing everything you have for the other, if it harms you. Self love (and self respect) would not allow that. Because giving of yourself should never feel like a sacrifice or a burden or a drain. If it does feel like a sacrifice, it is not an action of love, imo. If you give freely and happily of yourself, then it's not a sacrifice.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  11. Choice all the way. Most people fail to differentiate between love and lust, attraction, and codependency.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  12. What type of love are we talking about? The four loves are:
    • Agape (supernatural love)
    • Storge (natural affection or liking)
    • Eros (natural sexual desire)
    • Philia (natural human friendship)
    With Agape it is never a feeling because it is God. With the natural loves (storge, eros, and philia) those are both a feeling and choice.