Your top 5 books

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by A Conqueror, Jul 1, 2022.

1. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

Please recommend your favorite books, I'm trying to broaden my scope of interests to learn from anything and know and enjoy about everything.

Sometimes when I explore and search for what to read, I limit myself by choosing and selecting only through this filter of what I think I like, or what I think it's good, useful or enjoyable for me; or cuttingly discard X type of books for, say, being "femenine", like poetry.

Books could be anything you think has changed your life somehow, or have deeply enjoyed, like:
    • Self-help
    • Entertainment literature like novels
    • Essays
    • Health, etc.
    And if you could mention why they are among your favorite books, thanks.

lahcim, DutchGuy_ and WilliamJ.F. like this.
  2. 1. Psycho-Cybernetics. I place this first because it really helped wake me from my depression after my internship. I also used the tenets in this book towards NoFap just to demonstrate that the system works.
    2. Crime and Punishment. Probably my most favorite Dostoyevsky work, because it puts the incessant rambling of one's mind into prose, which I find very interesting to observe, especially after one has committed a violation of another human's soul.
    3. The Mists of Avalon. I put this here because it's the biggest book I've read so far in a foreign language (German,) and it is a very spicy take on the Arthurian legend.
    4. The Practicing Stoic. Ward Farnsworth collected a bunch of quotes by the Stoics and summarized/commented on them. Very thematic overview of the school of philosophy.
    5. Lifespan. This is probably my favorite book on health and aging. I always keep the core tenets in mind when thinking about what I'm going to eat or how I'll exercise in the future.

I honestly should read more, and I can imagine that this list would be different five years down the road. Hope this helps!

3. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely be adding some if not all of these titles to my list, definitely #4

Servo_Operator likes this.
  4. 1. How I found freedom in an unfree world
    2. The book of Pook
    3. Mastery (author Robert Greene)
    4. The book of Pook and the mill (2nd book of Pook)
    5. Stop working for Uncle Sam

These are the best books I have ever read. All of them speak about self improvement, financial freedom, fulfilling your dreams, etc. and written by people that really made it in life. Way deeper than anything you'll ever read on the internet in my opinion, these will literally blow your favorite self improvement youtuber out of the water

5. Yo, I read Mastery in high school, and I just enjoyed Greene's writing. I didn't find it at all helpful in trying to "find my passion/calling," but looking at references to history is something enjoyably refreshing.

DevilMayFry and DutchGuy_ like this.
  6. DevilMayFry

DevilMayFry Fapstronaut

Same. I really enjoyed reading that book, and some of his other work, despite not applying it purposely.

7. keyfekeder

keyfekeder Fapstronaut

Mine favorite would be A Clockwork Orange

A Conqueror likes this.
  8. Tenma

Tenma Fapstronaut

I've never found a self help book to be any good unless the author is from the past, think The Book of Five Rings from Musashi, basically books from people who walked the talk and aren't part of a modern capitalist society.

9. Queenie%Bee

Queenie%Bee Fapstronaut

The Compound Affect !! :)

10. Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell Fapstronaut

The Goldfinch by Donna Tart and the Adventures of Kavelier and Clay by Michael Chabon, two of the greatest works of fiction big-time readers have ever been blessed by, absolutely epic stories of very average individuals that take the call to action and find fascinating lives for themselves.

For self-focused, introspective work, I can't recommend enough The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, wherein through a wide variety of myths the world round, he demonstrates the main motif of the individual, wandering from his little ego into a defining purpose bigger than him/herself.

Uno mas! Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins on audible is fascinating just for the story alone of this kid who grew up in hell to become a navy seal and inspiration for a generation of lost souls out there, but also the chapters are mediated by podcast-like interviews with Goggins and real-world applications to the lessons and inspiration found in the telling of David's life. Great shtuff!

11. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

12. InvincibleWarrior417

InvincibleWarrior417 Fapstronaut

Power of Subconscious Mind
    Think and Grow Rich
    The Secret
    How to win friends and influence people

Learning Law of Attraction is good for self improvement. Self help books will be a great companion. If you have read these, ignore.

13. SDJR

SDJR Fapstronaut

Psycho cybernetics is great!
    It's great for weight training. Used it to hit targets in pull ups and bench press

The rational male by rollo tomassi
    Is a must read for all men. I've known guys who embodied that book without knowing it.
    I read it for free online but then ordered it because I wanted to make sure the author got paid for his work

Dangerous liaisons by de laclos
    Essentially an 18th century version of sliding into someone's DMS. Reminds you of how the more things change the more they stay the same. I'm so sad I don't read french well. I'd love to read it in its native language

The fountainhead by rand
    A reminder that shitty people will try and hold you down. Just do you.

14. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

1. Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions

Why it's my favorite:
    Helped me realize that even a supercomputer can't perfectly solve everyday problems within the time people expect.

How it changed my life:
    Became more vocal & honest at work, especially with my boss.
    That he'd assign me too much work, and keeps re-prioritizing tasks, so it seems I never get anything done (process starvation).
    What did he do? Hired someone else to do my job, and elevated my position as the decision-making authority over my last job.

2. The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload

Why it's my favorite:
    Similar to book #1. These two books fill in the gaps in each other.

How it changed my life:

Liked how it explained dopamine addiction with an experiment with a rat.
    If we had a button we could press to give us a dopamine rush, we'd press it all day until we die.
    Helped me with understand the neuroscience behind dopamine & NoFap.

3. Games People Play: The Basic Handbook of Transactional Analysis

Why it's my favorite:
    Helped me understand the mind games people play.

How it changed my life:
    Together with book #1, the Parent-Adult-Child (PAC) Model helped me relate with my boss as adult-adult instead of parent-child.
    No longer believe the lie to look for a wife who can "mother" me. That would be regression to a parent-child relationship.
    Helped me deal with all the bullshit at work. Some people are just fucked in the head. I can choose not to play their mind games.

4. Visual CBT: Using pictures to help you apply Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to change your life

Why it's my favorite:

Helped me realize that, sometimes, I'm also fucked in the head.

How it changed my life:
    Became more understanding & compassionate towards people.
    We all have our cognitive biases, and distorted thinking.
    I can choose to change my thoughts & behavior.

5. The Complete Calvin & Hobbes (Comic Books)

Why it's my favorite:

Very profound & philosophical, loosely based on John Calvin & Thomas Hobbes.

How it changed my life:
    Helped understand American thought & philosophy.
    Expanded my vocabulary and usage of American idioms.
    Helped me rediscover what life was like as an innocent little kid, before all this PMO.

15. I’m not a computer or IT person, but a lot of this looks really transferable to other parts of life!

koolpal likes this.
  16. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

1. Thus Spoke Zarathustra

You don't need any self-help books. You just need this. Take control of your own life and always strive to climb the next mountain.

2. Brave New World

A prediction to our modern world of hedonism and degenerate comforts.

3. Clockwork Orange

Another prediction to our current dystopian realities. With juvenile crime on the rise.

4. Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon

Reveals the psyops of the 60s and funny connections between popular artists and military intelligence

5. Esoteric Hollywood

Symbological analysis of Hollywood films

17. I’d like to read Also Sprach Zarathustra in German at some point!

FirefromAbove likes this.
  18. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

I forgot to add

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The best book I ever read. It really helped me careless and thinkless. I'm a big overthinker and this book helped me with the confidence of just doing instead of thinking.