What's up with incoherent posts in "new to nofap" section?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Septimus, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

No doubt you've noticed them. Every now and then someone will post a comment that just reads like gibberish. I've noticed they sometimes come in twos and threes.

Yes, of course it's some sort of scam -- but what? How does someone benefit from this?

RobbyGo36 likes this.
  2. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Some of them have links. When I see a bot like that I report it.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  3. I just figured they were pushing their product, but now that I think about it, none of them really make sense.

4. Technically in a sense they are. As usually a spam bot in this case posts hyperlinks and tags in hopes of increasing search engine visibility, and to generate more traffic for those commercial sites. It's all to do with the competitive market.

5. I don't know why, but I'm afraid of those spam bots. They are like ghosts.

6. At least they don't message the members here, at least now yet anyways, that would be terrible. lol

RobbyGo36 likes this.
  7. I know right? I'd go hide in the closet or under the bed!

8. At least spam bots are harmless, except for all the work moderators have to do.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Yes, but the ones I mentioned provide no link. They mention no product. So when that happens, exactly how are they promoting anything? I'm not trying to be difficult; sometimes I need things explained to me like I'm eight years old.

10. I've often wondered that same thing myself. If it's spam, what are they selling? If it's not, what are they trying to say? What kind of business model expects to succeed with those kinds of tactics? I just laugh and delete them.

11. Well, they like to also be discrete. Did you notice tags on that thread post? Because even tags (which are harder to spot) boost their visibility on Google's search engine.

Because I've seen ones with products in the tag, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  12. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Lately we’ve been experiencing strange spambots; some not even advertising a product. Mods/MA’s try to get rid of it as soon as possible, but not all of us are online at the same moment. If you see something spammy or fishy, then just report it and the mods can look at it.

13. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Ah, that's probably it then. I hadn't looked that closely.

Thanks for clearing this up. Now I can sleep tonight!

Deleted Account likes this.