1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice for “just looking”

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Ineeedhelpplss, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Ineeedhelpplss

Ineeedhelpplss Fapstronaut

I need some advice I have a hard time where I’ll see something when scrolling on my phone and I won’t do anything but get really turned on and just look and my brain will try to convince me it’s not bad because im “just looking” and sometimes when I’m “ just looking” I might touch myself a little or to where I’m close to cummign and than tell myself it’s not relapse or not bad and feel horrible after because I know I shoudnt be doing it but I’ll either see something or get random extreme urges and sometimes don’t even think and will look stuff up and stop myself half way. Just need some advice having a hard time here and there been better with it though but still can use advice incase the one time I don’t know what to do or think I’m going to relapse

2. This is walking a thin line situation. I would recommend not going down this road of "just looking" because it can pull you back in.

Warfman and Macoy like this.
  3. Shadowheart

Shadowheart Fapstronaut

You should delete any apps/social media that is sexually triggering to you.

Macoy likes this.
  4. SandwichMonkey

SandwichMonkey Fapstronaut

Identify replacement activities man. You gotta have an "out" when the screen is trying to trap you. Build up a series of other things you can do or like to do. Go out for a walk, leave the house, call someone. Not good to just sit there and fight the screen. The screen has an advantage in that fight. Have other stuff that you can do.

Warfman likes this.
  5. Warfman

Warfman Fapstronaut

The great @knowbie has said, "it's not his to play with anymore." This type of mentality is really probably the only real effective one.

There are definitely stages to a relapse, it can start with an image, then usually it's looking for a while longer, then fantasy, touching, edging etc. I think the most effective and easiest way to deal with that is to catch the cycle at the beginning. Don't let yourself convince yourself just looking is ok. Don't think you can touch it just for a minute and be ok. PMO is a compulsive addiction, giving in to them is asking for trouble.

6. Damo_c1

Damo_c1 Fapstronaut

This is good man, some people do enjoy social media without the triggers as they have other reasons for it such as family and friends so it can be pretty daunting for some people deleting everything.

what I’ve found is making new accounts can be a good way to reset your social media. Deleting current accounts that are full of triggers and starting new ones gives you a fresh slate to work with, make the algorithm about things what you want it to be about. It’s personally helped me by making sure I have nothing on my phone, holding myself accountable for how good or bad my social media is, and made something of it that my girlfriend can look at and be proud of.

I’m not having a dig at you at all for suggesting deleting everything and it definitely works for some people. I’ve found in relationships that proving to your partner that you can in fact have social media without triggers can be really reassuring to them as well as your own motivation to keep it the way it is without triggers.

hope this helps man best of luck

7. Ineeedhelpplss

Ineeedhelpplss Fapstronaut

Yeah you’re right I’m starting to notice the pattern of when she leaves my house I get bad urges or thoughts and best for me to stay off my phone or social media for a while I deleted most of the apps with triggers although here and there I might see something but I’ve been training myself to just scroll and ignore it and hit “do not recommend” if I can. Main thing is not giving into those urges where I think I’m “just going to look” I know I’m not going to just look and will eventually relapse and my brain don’t tries to prove me otherwise. My girlfriend just left and my urges were pretty high and I came to here and read all of your guys reply’s and it helped motivate me a little and get my head out of those thoughts thanks guys

Damo_c1 likes this.