Living with parents - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Bingles, May 9, 2024.

1. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I plan on living with my parents into adulthood. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, and I am in college education and can get a part-time job for some extra income. I plan on going to university locally too (if I get that far). No intention of moving out. The rent costs in my city have skyrocketed and I have learning difficulties which make it hard to function in day-to-day life. I would not cope living on my own. My parent's home is large and I have lived here for most of my youth. I would much rather stay here than struggle in some dead-end flat hand-to-mouth. I could live comfortably here for the rest of my life. Is living at home as an adult any different? Is there anything I should know to keep things stable?

LostSon41 and zilean like this.
  2. Oddly enough multigenerational households were a very normal thing in the past. Where I’m from, United States, they started dropping off after WWII, but I think with the cost of living, they’re starting to make a comeback.

Personally, I think the setup makes sense. Parents have kids, those kids grow up and take care of the parents, and the cycle repeats itself. Obviously this can get a little trickier with siblings involved since questions of “who gets what” can tend to divide a family, but that doesn’t sound like your case.

As for in today’s western culture, there is a negative stigma towards men who live with their parents, so be prepared for that. Also living comfortably isn’t always conducive to one’s growth, so make sure you’re doing this for the right reasons and that your parents are truly okay with it.

3. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

A lot of Middle Eastern Muslim and East Asian families stick together as a family unit and help support each other, meaning there is more wealth put into the family. Individual wealth doesn't go very far nowadays and the same applied back then. Moving out at 18 has zero benefits, it would be at the cost of my financial stability and mental health. I wouldn't last a month on my own.

4. Psalm27:1my light

Psalm27:1my light Fapstronaut

I lived with my parents until I was 23. I did it because I could save a ton of money while also paying for my college. Then when I graduated I couldn’t get a job in my career field. So I started my own business ( less than $3500 to start it up) first year I made $40k and I was only working about 4 hours a day 5 days a week. This was in 1992. I could not have done all that if I had to pay rent,utilities, insurance and food. I told my kids (25,24,21) they can live with me as long as they like but, they have to either work full time and save some money or go to school full time. Two moved out last year after getting college degrees and full time jobs, one says they are going to live at home forever , lol . She’s autistic and I think moving out overwhelms her. But she’s getting ready to start her own business ( she’s 21)

SquidCook and Heypleasehelpme like this.
  5. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

My brother has around 15k of personal wealth, and he is only 20. That's after a year of living in Aberdeen for university. He has a stable income with two part-time while living at home. My plan is to get a part-time job, maybe two if I can cope with the hours, and get around £25k of savings before my 21st birthday. Perfectly do-able. + I get a young carers grant and my 18th birthday bursary, which will tally to around £1500. So I have a fresh start. I am not ready to move out yet. I struggle to tie my shoes or look after myself. I still sleep with a teddy bear to keep me comforted. The idea of moving out seems pointless and scary. Why would I leave my family, the one people I know and interact with, to live on my own in a rough city?

I like where I live, I don't want to leave. My parents don't mind if I stay either as long as I pay some board money with whatever income I get in. Moving a few miles down the road for so-called "independence" is meaningless. I think most people do it so they can go out partying and get drunk without consequences from parents, and I do none of those. Your daughter has the right idea imo. It's too much to cope with. Mid-20s maybe, it's up to them, but I see zero reason why a person should move out at 18. I don't know if I'll ever go to university, I'm not smart enough and I don't cope with stress.

6. SirQwerty

SirQwerty Fapstronaut

I'm doing the same thing. I help out around the house (I do a lot of landscapingprojects and home improvement/maintenance), work, and go to college. It would be a waste for me to go out and live in an apartment and blow $500+ on rent just to say I live on my own. It's a wise idea to stay with your parents when your young, as long as you're actively saving and working towards something

Psalm27:1my light likes this.
  7. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Living with your parents is an awesome way to save money, and your parents probably appreciate your company. I moved 3000 miles away after college, but came back home 2-years later. The only reason I moved out of my parents home the second time was because they would not let me have sex with girls in their house. When my monthly hotel bills became more than what I would have spent on rent, I moved into an apartment. I was 24-years old when I moved out.

8. ricardohector

ricardohector Fapstronaut

1. Communicate openly with your parents.
    2. Contribute to household chores.
    3. Offer financial support if possible.
    4. Respect personal space and boundaries.
    5. Focus on your education and part-time job.
    6. Maintain a social life outside the home.
    7. Plan for your future.
    8. Show appreciation for your parents' support.

Meshuga and SirQwerty like this.
  9. Heypleasehelpme

Heypleasehelpme Fapstronaut

Best of luck for the future.