1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Life was peak in the Middle Ages

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Itsuki, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Itsuki

Itsuki Temporarily Suspended

I don't have to be critical to appreciate an era when masculinity was valued. Also, I don't think you can say that the microwave was a response to a serious problem, etc. To completely appreciate the present would also mean to immediately forgo certain things that characterize the present.

2. Itsuki

Warfare in the medieval age had rules too.

3. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

among nobles anyways, for instance after the battle of agincourt william executed all of his prisoners sparing only the nobility and most of medieval warfare usually consisted of skirmish/raids to weaken the enemy or in some instance to try and force battle, like the "chevauchée" during the 100 years war or william's harrying of the north in england.

Meshuga and Itsuki like this.
  4. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

That sounds plausible. Wikipedia has this to say about life expectancy during the "dark ages":

My point was that old age wasn't unheard of. Not that that's a good thing. Even these days, most people are finished by 50, the remaining years being mere survival. Not growing too old is usually a good thing.

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

If you are living in a cage then being "finished by 50" is a welcome relief, isn't it? But what if there are worlds outside that cage?

6. I remember joking with a friend that content which begins with "hear me out" will usually wind up being entertaining and so far, that hypothesis has been accurate.

I lot of the pros of the middle ages are attainable today. If you want a good, honest, hard labor job, then go into the trades. Most don't work on a Sundays unless they're services positions. I know some friends who went this route, accumulated their hours for their journeyman's license, and then started their own one-man business where they take on jobs whenever they want. Some even choose not to work on feast days. None of them are hurting for money, since there is plenty of work to be had. Sadly, a lot of the younger generation either aren't interested in this kind of work or aren't aware of it. I think a lot of the youth are brainwashed into thinking everyone should be in college and have a degree. I've also always found it ironic that the same companies that were founded by men who never went to college demanded that their employees have college degrees. Personally, I think they wanted this not because they thought the degree made the person better but because they knew that person was in debt so they could be more easily controlled vs. someone who had the smarts but didn't have the debt, but I digress.

As for the getting married young, well, I think since the average life expectancy was lower back then, people had to have their shit together by a much earlier age. Even today nothing is stopping you from getting married young, but since most people aren't pressed to grow up fast, there is a lot of wasted youth that happens before people finally mature. If they mature, that is. Depending on where you live, sometimes immaturity is incentivised as well as sloth.

Sadly, prostitution was still a very big issue back then as it is now; There is a reason it's called the oldest profession.

LostSon267 likes this.
  7. Itsuki

Are you saying the cage is modernity or the rigid social structure of the dark ages?

8. Itsuki

Everything you say here is correct but a selective perspective. There is a difference between electing to do things yourself and doing things the way the society in which you live expects. What made that time so admirable is the fact that all those things were status quo. Today, like you said, the status quo is taking loans and superficial education. As far as the trades, those industries have evolved so much technologically and structurally that a simple comparison I do not believe is completely plausible.

For example, in today's society we all expect teenagers to be rotten nasty little rebellious creatures. No one seems to care to ask the question of what makes this age group so universally insufferable. In eras when people were getting married in their teens and starting families young, I guarantee you that this age group was far less suicidal, homicidal, and depressed.

9. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

I'm saying neither. The "cage" I was talking about is the self-created mental prison which nearly all of us live in.

10. Itsuki

Shall I burn my social security and move to Paraguay?

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

No need to do that. Why not go to work on yourself? Then you will have the key to open the cage door and walk out.

12. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I was thinking that.

Here's a video of a historian reviewing the historical accuracy of some movies set in the Middle Ages.

A word of warning it contains brief nudity from the film A Knight Tale. According to the historian back then they weren't so bothered by nudity since there wasn't much privacy.

Meshuga likes this.
  13. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Isn’t it just Paul Bettany’s pasty butt, though? Very medieval, and not triggering at all. There is a suggestion of sweaty snuggling, but it happens off screen, I think.

And when I say it’s important to consume media critically, I do not mean we need to be negative and nasty about everything. What I mean is, it is better to be mindful of what we are consuming, and consider whether it is true, and in what sense, and which ideas from it we will accept or reject, rather than let everything we watch or read have equal influence over how we think and relate to the world.

onceaking likes this.
  14. Itsuki

That's a cool video. Nice lady. Hot booty cheeks.

Funny you mention the nudity thing. They show a drawing with a naked men and women together, so I wonder if it was a gendered thing like in the movie (and plenty of places today that is normal) or if it was a coed thing?

If I see some value in the Medieval Era it must be because I watch movies uncritically. Likewise if I see value in the modern era I am emotionally attached to the internet and hold innovation itself as an ethos.

onceaking likes this.
  15. HealingBodyandMind

HealingBodyandMind Fapstronaut

I think some people in the Middle Ages had better lives overall than some people in modern times, and also some people in modern times had better lives than some people in the Middle Ages.

A really healthy body/mind in the Middle Ages is better off than a really sick person in modern times.. and the other way around as well

16. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

With the exception of the sword wielding knight, you could do all the other things that you mentioned right now. I would replace the sword-wielding knight with getting strong in a gym and learning martial arts, this way you would be a badass wherever you went.
    The difference is that hygiene is way better so the women don't stink, you would have all your teeth, and you would be able to extend your lifespan by about 3 times. I'll take the modern era on my terms and not let the soft BS out there keep me from enjoying myself while I try to be a badass.

Meshuga and Itsuki like this.
  17. Itsuki

Alright, respect.

nomo and Meshuga like this.
  18. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I don't think one period of history was better than the other. There are good and bad things from every time period. Positive aspects of the Middle Ages would be stronger communities and families. It was during the Industrial Revolution where there was a breakdown because many people left their community and families to find work in the cities. But strong communities and families isn't just a feature of the Middle Ages, it carried on into the Renaissance and the Reformation. Another thing that was better was little allergies - today there are more allergies than any point in history.

As negative aspects, I would say no running water is a big thing. A few months ago, my water company turned off our water for about a week because there was a risk of contamination. You don't realise how important running water is until you don't have it. If I wanted a drink, I had to use bottled water. It wasn't just drinking water that I went without. I had no showers and couldn't even flush the toilet. Back then they had none of that.

From my understanding, there was no freedom of speech. You couldn't openly criticise the government (the King or Queen) and if you were a peasant your movements were controlled by the nobility. People didn't marry for love. It was a business transaction among the nobility and peasants didn't bother with it.

I could mention diseases and a lack of modern medicine, but that's already come up.

Movies can be a good starting point, as long as you read or listen to historians. The purpose of a movie is to entertain and tell a good story, historians purpose is finding out the facts (which isn't as easy as it sounds).

She's done some documentaries on the medieval times. Here's two below:

19. Itsuki

Dude, you hit the nail on the head. Those are reasons why I admire that era. My dad moved to a new city so growing up I had no cousins to hang out with, making us like the "other cousins" of the family. I also had bad allergies as a kid which was made worse when we got two dogs, I was sick all the time.

Plumbing is a BIG deal, yeah. We can take that for granted sometimes. When your plumbing doesn't work something that was once simple like taking a dump becomes a chore. We honestly live like gods today with the level of ease we have with plumbing.

As far as your point with free speech, I feel the same way, at least the modernist half of me does. This is one point that historians can be really biased in their interpretations of history as well because the modern democratic spirit cannot understand the appeals of monarchy, authority, and rigid hierarchy. The masses would pray for their king, that his heart be pure and that he rule in the best interest of his people, trusting that his education, lineage, and resources best equip him for ruling rather than the combined intelligence of the masses. Today, we don't route for our leaders like that, we want to see them fail so we can say "I told you so."

I'm happy to see that the nice lady isn't 6ft5in tall, lol. Its cool to see her on location.

One example of this bias, though, is in that first video where there seems to be some odd motivation to focalize on the peasant revolt and squash the middle ages into a Marxist frame where the peasants are viewed as the proletariats and the nobility and church are viewed in the worst faith possible as the exploitative bourgeoisie. I can tell you, that simply was not the domineering sentiment throughout the entire Middle Ages. Is this perspective all part of the complot to represent the West as a historically oppressive and evil civilization? Idk, but a peasant memorial to be erected in 2015 of all years, its odd to me.

20. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

Like, I know you admire the middle ages my guy, but trust me I think you would get tired of living in it after a few weeks, at the latest. Sure the world is far from perfect now, but I think there's at least some point in modern history that you would think it is better than the Middle Ages. Like the 80s? 90s? 00s?