1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with anxiety, depression, sadness, self-criticism, boredom etc.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Dying Light, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

I found this article on a book related to how we can deal with anxiety, depression, sadness, self-criticism, boredom etc. This is a theory of ironic rebound effect. It shows that forcing to avoid any thought leads to self destructive behaviours. Some people who are trying to recover from pmo addiction may get some help after reading this. It maybe helpful for some people dealing with other issues also.

ACCEPT THOSE FEELINGS —JUST DON’T ACT ON THEM

When an upsetting thought comes to mind, instead of instantly trying to distract yourself from it, let yourself notice the thought. Oftentimes, our most disturbing thoughts are familiar—the same worry, the same self-criticism, the same memory. “What if something goes wrong?” “I can’t believe I did that. I’m so stupid.” “If only that hadn’t happened. What could I have done differently?” These thoughts pop up like a song that gets stuck in our heads, seemingly out of nowhere, but then is impossible to get rid of. Let yourself notice whether the upsetting thought is an old, familiar tune—that’s your first clue that it is not critically important information you need to believe. Then shift your attention to what you are feeling in your body. Notice if there is any tension present, or changes to your heart rate or breathing. Notice if you feel it in your gut, your chest, your throat, or anywhere else in your body.

Once you’ve observed the thought and feelings, shift your attention to your breathing. Notice how it feels to breathe in and breathe out. Sometimes the upsetting thought and feelings naturally dissipate when you do this. Other times, they will keep interrupting your attention to your breath.

If this happens, imagine the thought and feelings like clouds passing through your mind and body. Keep breathing, and imagine the clouds dissolving or floating by. Imagine your breath as a wind that dissolves and moves the clouds effortlessly. You don’t need to make the thought go away; just stay with the feeling of your breath.

Notice that this technique is not the same thing as believing or ruminating over a thought. The opposite of thought suppression is accepting the presence of the thought—not believing it.

You’re accepting that thoughts come and go, and that you can’t always control what thoughts come to mind. You don’t have to automatically accept the content of the thought. In other words, you might say to yourself, “Oh well, there’s that thought again—worries happen. That’s just the way the mind works, and it doesn’t necessarily mean anything.” You’re not saying to yourself, “Oh well, I guess it’s true. I am a terrible person and terrible things are going to happen to me, and I guess I need to accept it.”

This same practice can be used for any distracting thought or upsetting emotion, including anger, jealousy, anxiety, or shame.

After trying this technique a few times, compare it with the results you get from trying to push away upsetting thoughts and emotions. Which is more effective at giving you peace of mind? Trying to avoid unwanted feelings often leads to self-destructive behavior, whether it’s a procrastinator trying to avoid anxiety, or a drinker trying to avoid feeling alone.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Ridingthewave, Sychar, Mara43 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

FEEL WHAT YOU FEEL, BUT DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

Most bad habits are an attempt to meet a need. You can get the focus off of prohibiting your bad habit by replacing it with a new (hopefully, healthier) habit. Sometimes the very same behavior can be thought of in two different ways. If you focus on what you want to do, instead of what you don’t want to do, you sidestep the dangers of ironic rebound.

1. Notice that you are thinking about your temptation or feeling a craving.
    2. Accept the thought or feeling without trying to immediately distract yourself or argue with it.
    3. Step back by realizing that thoughts and feelings aren’t always under your control, but you can choose whether to act on them.
    4. Remember your goal. Remind yourself of whatever your commitment is.

Mara43 and Don80 like this.
  3. Don80

Don80 Fapstronaut

I do that when I feel my body is tense or anxious.
    Great allegory.

A short-term emergency technque from Huberman: double inhale, slow exhale. It gave an instant temporary relief. And it can be done anywhere. No tools required.

Mara43 and Mr. Cooler like this.
  4. Homo sapien.

Homo sapien. Fapstronaut

I used to worry a lot, but it was only when I believed that saying no to a thought would make it go away. If I didn't want to think about it, I thought it wouldn't appear. However, I still experienced depression and anxiety. The answer I found is that there are other important things I had postponed or forgotten. As these tasks weren't being addressed - things I had acknowledged as important to complete before - they were causing my mind to worry. When I say no, the mind lets go of that thought (I'm developing belief in it); the remaining feelings stem from other aspects that need attention.

Mr. Cooler likes this.