The Big List of Sexual Health Terminology
The following is a list of terminology related to sexual health and the “rebooting” process. Some of these words existed before the founding of our organization. But many of them were devised by either the NoFap® team or the community.
- Accountability Partners: Accountability partners are pairs who hold each other responsible for their sexual habits
- Blue Petal: Female equivalent of blue balls.
- Chaser Effect: The super-charged desire to masturbate that sometimes hits 1-3 days after sexual acts. Especially powerful early on in a reboot
- DE: Delayed ejaculation
- Death Grip: The tight-fisted grip on the penis many men develop by masturbating. Because it is much more constricted than the grip of an actual vagina, the death grip overstimulates the penis, reduces pleasure in the long run, and can make it difficult or impossible to orgasm with a woman.
- Death Schlick: Women have their own version of the death grip, the Death Schlick — stimulating the clitoris very rapidly and energetically — which can have the same effects.
- DE: Delayed ejaculation – can include inability to orgasm during intercourse (if severe enough)
- ED: Erectile dysfunction – inability to maintain an erection during intercourse
- Edging: Masturbation without orgasm.
- Fapstronaut: A NoFap® user
- Femstronaut: A female NoFap® user
- Flatlining: Many NoFap® users report one or more periods of zero libido during their streak, especially in the 2-6 week period. Transitioning from an overexcited, always-eager libido to none at all can be disconcerting and even scary for the experienced masturbator, but many Fapstronauts report that it is only a phase in the reboot and will pass.
- Hard Mode: Rebooting without any sexual release (even via a partner)
- NoFap: A comprehensive porn addiction recovery and sexual health platform. NoFap® offers a suite of products and services designed to help its users reach their sexual health goals. For more information, see the About page.
- NSFL: Not safe for life. This is reserved for disgusting stuff.
- NSFW: Not safe for work. This label is affixed to potentially-triggering content and should be viewed with caution (may cause some Fapstronauts distress)
- PE: Premature ejaculation
- PIED: Porn-induced erectile dysfunction. Through years of using porn, male users might discover that they are unable to achieve or maintain an erection without the use of porn or porn fantasy. This is very detrimental to real-world sexual encounters and could strain relationships. The cure to PIED is rebooting.
- PIV: Penis in vagina (sexual intercourse)
- PMO: Porn/Masturbation/Orgasm. They come together like a Happy Meal and the toy.
- PSUB: Also known as P-SUBs, or porn substitutes, are considered undesirable replacements to using pornography. Examples might include excessive use of dating websites, looking at clothed images of models, or even cruising social media websites for pictures. The intention is what matters the most. Using these things are great in many contexts, but many of our users prefer to avoid the “pornification” of seemingly non-pornographic material.
- PVO: Porn / Vibrator / Orgasm
- Reboot: Also called “rebooting.” The process of restoring your brain to “factory defaults.” Verb meaning abstinence from sexual behaviors, namely the use of porn, but often also masturbation and sex. Said to take 90 days or longer, by anecdotal reports.
- Relapse: For addicts, the act of returning to bad habits after a period of improvement. This is a serious word. Examples would include masturbating to porn (for a porn addict), significantly disrupting your life due to excessive masturbation (going on a 20x binge and skipping work), risky masturbation (masturbating in public), and other similarly life-disrupting activities due to an addiction.
- Reset: Failing one of our programs/challenge. This stemmed from the act of resetting your day counter badge back to day one. If your masturbate during your challenge, this would be called a reset.
- Schlicking: Internet slang for female masturbation.
- SO: Significant other. Could refer to a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, or wife.
- The Surge: The period 5-14 days after the start of a streak that often features a physically recognizable surge in energy and sexual drive, which seems to potentially be associated with the rebooting-induced testosterone “surge.” This doesn’t occur in all reboots.
- YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary. Good words to remember, because no two reboots are exactly alike.
Can I link to this glossary?
Feel free to link to our glossary on your forum post, website, blog, or from anywhere. If you quote a segment of our writing on another website not owned by NoFap®, please be sure to provide attribution via a link back to this page.