almost 39 years old. Want to start working out.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Observe, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Observe

Observe Fapstronaut

I relapsed badly. Wanted to wait until i might reached 30 days NoFap to have more energy but i dont make it 30 days. I want to start going to a gym and start right away.
    I am not 20 anymore. What is good to start with? one says cardio is good. another says cardio is bad.

I would like to get a strong body. Some muscle growth and posture would be nice to feel better about mysefl in particular. How should i start? Just pushups at home somebody said. Or start a workout routine in the gym? Keep in mind i am turning into a oldtimer soon :) 40 next year somewhat.

2. VictoriousMindset

VictoriousMindset Fapstronaut

It's okay to relapse once or twice just to get that experience under your belt. It help identify the trigger points, how your body and mind reacts post relapse and helps you to formulate a strategy on how to avoid/side step potential triggers.

How quickly you take your mind off of relapse and focus on the positives will be beneficial.

I don't exercise. I just go out for 20-30 minutes walks (brisk walking) every alternate day. Its been a more than a month now. I just focus on eating and sleeping right. and Avoiding any mental, physical or digital stimulations that could trigger any urges.

Good Luck.

3. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

Observe likes this.
  4. I_Am_Strong_54

I_Am_Strong_54 Fapstronaut

First, before starting any workouts you should consult with your doctor.

Ideally you'll want a mix of weight training and cardio. As someone approaching 40, you'll definitely want some strength training in your program. Don't kill yourself the first week in the gym. Take your time and work into it. You didn't get out of shape in a day, so you won't get into shape in a day. I'd probably go with the following split:

Day 1 - Upper - chest, back, shoulders, and arms
    Day 2 - Lower - legs
    Day 3 - cardio and core. use equipment like a stationary bike, treadmill, elipitical, or go out for a walk or bike ride.
    Day 4 - Upper
    Day 5 - Lower
    Day 6 - cardio and core
    Day 7 - Rest, stretch or very light cardio.

If you are just joining a gym, ask about personal training. Most gyms will give you at least one if not a couple of free sessions with a trainer in hopes you will sign up for personal training. If you don't sign up, at least you can get an idea and try to pick the trainer's brain a little bit.

5. Observe

Observe Fapstronaut

Thanks i will look into this. i think i start coming Saturday! That will be my day 4 of this nofap. And a great day because i have free all weekend.

i already found some workouts build around the upper // lower.

also i have seen a push pull legs upper lower but thats 5 days a week.
    I will follow you advice and begin slow and see if i can keep going. upper lower rest.

Thanks again Strong54!

6. LifeSaviour

LifeSaviour Fapstronaut

Well, you don't need to reach x days of NoFap to start working out. You can start today, just search for a good gym and a good nutritionist.

Exercising should be obligatory for every human being, it's already prooved that improves your physical and mental health. Also, exercises is essential to prevent diseases and complications, especially because you're entering in a age range that people start experiencing health problems. If you want to increase your longevity and well-being, it's a good reason to start NOW.

I would recommend you to start watching videos of professional bodybuilders and their coaches working out and giving tips for the public. Why do I recommend this? Even tho they use steroids and other substances (I don't recommend you to use), they have been knowing a lot better than health professionals about muscle hypertrophy and fat loss. Learn how to do the movements in proper form, how to set up your workouts, etc. A few recommendations of good guys of the scenario to watch: Chris Bumstead, Hany Rambod, Nick Walker, Wesley Vissers, Derek Lunsford, etc.

USER_ERROR likes this.
  7. ricardohector

ricardohector Fapstronaut

It's never too late to begin, and you're taking an important step in the right direction.

For someone looking to build strength, muscle, and improve posture, a well-rounded workout routine that includes both resistance training and cardio can be beneficial. Here's a general guide to help you get started:

1. Consult with a Professional: Before starting any new exercise program, especially if you have health concerns or are new to fitness, it's a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a certified personal trainer. They can provide personalized guidance and ensure you're starting safely.

2. Focus on Resistance Training: Incorporating resistance training, such as weightlifting or bodyweight exercises, will help build muscle mass, increase strength, and improve overall body composition. You can start with basic exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, and rows, gradually increasing the intensity and weight as you progress.

3. Include Cardiovascular Exercise: While some may argue against cardio for muscle growth, moderate cardio can still have numerous health benefits, including improving cardiovascular health and aiding in fat loss. You don't have to overdo it; aim for 20-30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio a few times a week, such as brisk walking, cycling, or swimming.

4. Prioritize Proper Form and Technique: Especially as you're starting out, focus on learning proper form and technique for each exercise to prevent injury and maximize results. Quality over quantity is key.

5. Gradually Increase Intensity: As your fitness improves, gradually increase the intensity, duration, and weight of your workouts to continue challenging your muscles and progressing towards your goals.

6. Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to how your body responds to exercise and adjust your routine accordingly. Rest days are crucial for recovery, so don't hesitate to take them when needed.

7. Consider Professional Guidance: If you're unsure where to start or want more personalized guidance, consider working with a personal trainer who can create a customized workout plan tailored to your goals and abilities.
    Remember, consistency and patience are key when it comes to fitness progress. Don't be discouraged by setbacks or slow progress; focus on making gradual improvements and celebrate your achievements along the way.

Last edited: May 2, 2024 at 5:29 PM
    USER_ERROR and VictoriousMindset like this.
  8. Observe

Observe Fapstronaut

Thanks for the tips! I did a workout. Found a gym nearby. Using the tips hou gave me. It still feel useless as anything feels. I think this is part of a semi-midlife crisis. I did feel more happy after the workout. And my muscles are sore but infeel stronger already after 1 workout.

USER_ERROR likes this.