Is gaming make it harder?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by inovator.muda, Jul 4, 2015.

1. inovator.muda

inovator.muda Fapstronaut

Hi guys. We have all known that addiction is triggered by some chemical in our brain, it includes PMO and also gaming. Recently, I play a first-person shooting game just to release my stress. It is well timed and not messing my schedule though. How do you think about gaming in no-PMO struggle, does it make it becomes harder? Any comments of yours will be much appreciated. Thanks :D

2. Ajay17

Ajay17 Fapstronaut

I think it could honestly affect your progress and make you pmo in my opinion, but maybe that's because I just get so into the game and I'm not thinking about anything else but that video game. This kind of mentality of being stuck in the game makes us automatic and instead of reality we are sucked into this fantasy game with amazing graphics. Although if you time yourself and have a schedule that you follow, chances are you wont really get triggered. The most important thing I learned is that you need to be aware of your triggers and that chemical release that tells you you're getting "jumpy" or horny, and to always monitor your feelings through a journal. It's much easier to use a technique called "what else" which means what can i do besides beating the meat. Anyways, there's so many techniques that can be used but a therapist who wrote a novel about sex addition recommended this one the most over all the other ones. Good luck.

3. inovator.muda

Yeah, I decided not to gaming everyday and also it's better to make its own schedule. Thanks, I would like to try that method.

4. bottomofthepit

bottomofthepit Fapstronaut

Gaming an hour a day has some proven and substantial benefits in cognitive function. It can be a benefit for children and adults who use it in moderation. Obsessive use takes away from this benefit. There is no problem with gaming unless you make one through obsession and overuse. If you want to game, then by all means - game. Don't blame it for anything else in your life where it has no impact.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201201/the-many-benefits-kids-playing-video-games

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo.../video-game-addiction-does-it-occur-if-so-why

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201502/cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games

And more rigorous papers:

http://public.psych.iastate.edu/caa/abstracts/2010-2014/11bwa.pdf

http://tecfa.unige.ch/perso/mireille/papers/Rebetez_Betrancourt_CognBra.pdf

Have a super day!

5. 21decisionforlife

21decisionforlife Fapstronaut

I'm 66 days in (yeah the evil :'D) and I have to say two things to that. In my experience i can confirm that controlled playing does not harm the progress, but losing the limit here is a fairly easy thing, since it might involve (oh just another game) few decisions and you're losing it again. That's why i decided to put it aside and do not play any more. I didnt have any urges for weeks and now yesterday i was a bit scared that after playing excessively i had some urges again. So decide it for yourself but you are on the safe side when you dont play

6. inovator.muda

Oh I get your point @21decisionforlife. Yeah the streaks is just fine if I eradicate all the distraction, but sometimes I later feel wrong about it because when I ease myself, there is still a possibility that I will lose to this if I accidentally find one, say gaming and not win this battle instead. Yeah, I felt that too when I gamed two days ago; it triggers the urges, maybe. I know that somehow gaming will help our cognitive and relaxation but I do not know what kind of game. I don't think shooting people or killing zombies would help, hahaha :D how about that kind of game @bottomofthepit, what do you think?

7. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

I stopped gaming because I thought it just took away from my general happiness. It seemed that after gaming, my mind was more agitated than before gaming. Of course gaming is a great way to avoid boredom, but there are other ways to deal with boredom that don't take a toll on my emotions. I DO like to watch "Let's Play" videos on Youtube. I can enjoy the beautiful graphics, music, storyline and commentary without getting drained by actually playing the game.

8. Don Frank

Don Frank New Fapstronaut

Depends on your priority.

basically anything can be come addiction, and once they become one and impedes your doings in other areas of your life, it is negative addiction.

addiction is not necessarily bad, for instance, im addicted to play soccer, and i train soccer everything, I am also addicted to solving maths problems.

it's when an addictions that make you forget your priority and what you want in life that makes it bad.

Always keep in mind, keep everything in balance, take good amount of exercise, reading, eating, socializing and others.

I play games a lot of the times, and to compensate that i exercise regularly.

9. Gaming has in no way ever influenced me into PMO in any shape or form.

It remains a harmless hobby for me and shall continue to.

Andrew536, Kenji and cryptifly like this.
  10. cryptifly

cryptifly Fapstronaut

As long as it doesn't turn into a 10-hour a day habit for months down the road, I agree that gaming will not hurt you or your nofap progress. Everything in moderation!

AlltheRageBackHome likes this.
  11. Kenji

Kenji Guest

The only game that has fed my addictions to drinking, smoking ganja and the like, or edging to erotica was WoW.

It wasn't anything about WoW really (well I can blame alot of triggering text in the trade chats hahah but I take full responsibility for becoming a WoW junkie back in college) it was the absurd amount of time I sat at a computer playing it, also I wanted to get utterly absorbed in the game and getting high kind of increased the immersion after the initial magic of the game wore off and revealed what it really was, mindless digital heroin. Edging and drinking wine while raiding kind of eased the stress of the whole experience of getting 20 or so people to work together, half of them immature teenagers.

cryptifly likes this.
  12. cryptifly

cryptifly Fapstronaut

Yep, fellow WoW junkie here, too. Or at least I was six years ago. I've played WoW so much that I just burnt out. I just don't give two shits about that game anymore. The thing about WoW is that it is engineered specifically to get you hooked. Blizzard knew what the hell they were doing when they created WoW and it worked. But at the same time, if you can limit your WoW time like any other game, it won't hurt you. IT'S JUST SO DAMN HARD TO DO!

Kenji likes this.
  13. A.W

A.W Guest

I've been playing for 30-60mins at night lately and haven't noticed any negative effects. I wouldn't consider myself addicted to gaming though and I generally play laid back RPG, right now dragon age inquisition on the PS4.

AlltheRageBackHome likes this.
  14. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

I definitely say that, as a long time gamer and a PMO veteran, that a gaming addiction is very much possible if not organized and handled with care. On the other hand, if you pmoed while gaming then it may be a major trigger for you. I've actually read many users on here quit gaming because of this very reason.

I think you should take it into whatever consideration feels most comfortable to you. If you are playing everyday, most of your time, I would say at least start setting a schedule for yourself. I had really bad problem with a game called Destiny and I cut down on it to only play games online on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It did wonders for me.

@A.W, I'm getting a ps4 tomorrow. Any games you would recommend or that you like to play a lot?

15. Temujin

Temujin Guest

I've found you can often deep down tell when you are gaming for enjoyment and when you are gaming compulsively.

I know that I have played games compulsively in the past, months locked away doing nothing apart from either sleeping and gaming. What I remember was that the time was joyless.

I still game time to time and I’ve discovered that for the first hour or two I’m hugely enjoying myself and its great. Yet when I play further then that or begin to get obsessive (I must achieve that objective or that objective) deep down I know it has become joyless.

It's up to you if you want to give up gaming or not but I would recommend setting a timer to go off every thirty minutes while gaming. Then stop and look inwards for a bit and think 'Am I playing this because I’m enjoying it or am I playing this to play this'. If you are enjoying it continue, but if it has just become something obsessive to sink time into then step back and stop for a bit.

16. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

My problem with gaming, is not the gaming itself, but it fuels my natural inclination to procrastination.

17. I like first person shooters like many others here as well, but I'm also a sucker for Nintendo and have been since I was a 4 year old boy, which was when I first owned the NES. Grew up playing Super Mario World and Mario Kart on the Snes.

My favourite games series of all time is Super Smash Bros, which I play on a competitive level. I get so much joy out of playing it. It really just feels like pure jot for me, and I get giddy when I turn on my Wii U to boot up Smash Bros, the exact same exciting blood rush I got from gaming when I was 4 years old. Just genuine, good ol' fun.

18. A.W

A.W Guest

I only have 2 games: GTA5 and DA:I. I don't have a lot of time for gaming so I don't have many games.

I would probably buy The Witcher 3 if I was after another game. It depends what you like though. I know I will definitely buy Fallout 4 when it comes out, that game will be awesome.

Andre2807 likes this.
  19. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

Do not get the witcher 3. I don't doubt that it's a good game, but it has a excessive amount of nudity in it I hear. Just like in the second one. I mean, it is your choice, but if I was you, I would stay away from it.

I don't support games, TV, or movies with mindless sexual content just to sell more copies.

20. A.W

A.W Guest

Ah ok, good call. I didn't realise it was full of nudity, we don't really need that. I've just heard what a great game it is.