1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Four Agreements

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by GreatScott!, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GreatScott!

GreatScott! Fapstronaut

Has anyone else read this book by Miguel Ruiz? I don't want to give it a review here, but it really speaks to me and I find it interesting. It's quite short and I am reading it for the second time now. Basically, the author explains how we can escape the hell we have created for ourselves here on earth. I want to talk about the first agreement, which is to be impeccable with your word. As he says, this is the most important one, and also the hardest to accomplish. He is so right, as I have been trying to manage this first agreement and it is very, very hard for me. To be impeccable with your word really means to be ultra careful of what you say, sort of what many of us have learned, or at least heard, in childhood: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all! The power of speech is what sets us apart from other life on earth, and it is very powerful. If my speech is ruled by an emotion such as frustration or resentment. I really come off sounding very badly.

To put it to practical use. No matter how angry my wife is with me, no matter how insulting and hurtful she can be with her words, I don't lash back out at her with my own hurtful words. Even if I am frustrated at something she has done, I find the proper words and way to express it. Try it, it's not easy.

And guess what? It works!!

thedaring9 and strugglemode like this.
  2. Alchemis7

Alchemis7 Fapstronaut

I love the four agreements. Implementing those four 100% means living in heaven. I am applying them for years, but forget them very often, so not in heaven yet :)

3. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

Yes it does work! It's like the world starts responding to you differently. Kind of like that idea that in order to change the world, start with yourself. Yep very hard to do in those moments!

Alchemis7 likes this.
  4. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

It's funny, I've been focusing on doing exactly that the past couple of weeks without even knowing the book exists. By not striking back, I don't add heat to the equation and the situation generally calms down much more quickly than it did before.

Alchemis7, GreatScott! and DannyCool like this.
  5. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

I would love to understand and practice that.

6. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

It all starts with mindfulness. The more aware of your own internal weather, the better situated you are to see the space between thought/emotion/impulse and action.

GreatScott! and strugglemode like this.
  7. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

So we can catch the thought
    emotion
    impulse
    to prevent the action

Is that right?

What is the space between?

8. GreatScott!

GreatScott! Fapstronaut

The space between....I like that. I think it means the mindfulness, the reflection you might have between the first thought and the immediate impulsive reaction you might have to it. It's the second thoughts which might better allow yourself to see the future consequences of what your first thought/action might lead to.

Alchemis7, DannyCool and The Eleven like this.
  9. jazzphanatic

jazzphanatic Fapstronaut

This was a very inspiring post as I am constantly embracing new ways and ideas for becoming a better version of myself. This philosophy here seems to be very rewarding. I will expound to this post after I complete the book. Thanks again and good luck to us all!

10. will give a read, thanks for sharing

11. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

I think that's a haiku! Anyway, yes, you've got it, and GreatScott does, as well. If we are mindful -- if we are sufficiently attuned to what we are actually experiencing from moment to moment -- then we see our thought/emotion/impulse arise in our minds and we have an opportunity to look at it just as it is in that moment, before we react to it by taking action (forming an opinion about it, acting on it, speaking about it). That moment of clarity gives us the opportunity to make a better choice about what to do next.

12. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

It is mad the amount of actions I do without being aware of the decision. What is all that about. I should know what I am doing right? I just scratched my shoulder there without deciding to do it. This is crazy.

13. GreatScott!

GreatScott! Fapstronaut

So far we've only been talking about reaction, which is good, for using the word impeccably can make you immune to the emotional poison spread by others. The opinions of others is only based on their point of view, their beliefs, and not necessarily true. The first agreement is based on being able to love yourself, for if you love yourself you will recognize the opinions of others as just that and your mind will not be receptive to negative ideas and you don't react negatively.

However, just as important, if you love yourself you will use that energy to spread love instead of harm and fear. And then, as the theory goes, you will receive in return love and gratitude. But I can tell you that it still upsets me greatly if I'm kind and loving to someone only to receive nastiness, or even indifference, in return. That's very hard for me to deal with, it hurts me and so then I give up.

14. The Eleven

The Eleven Fapstronaut

Well said, although I think you need to take out the concept of "want". The fact is, reality is what it is whether we want it to be or not. Mindfulness (and other meditation schools) teach us that all suffering arises out of one of two things: grasping or resisting. Both of those things boil down to our difficulty in simply accepting what is in this moment without judgment or characterization. We can allow things to be what they are and experience them as they are without labeling them as "good" or "bad", etc. When we expend energy grasping for some other reality or resisting the fact that reality is reality, we suffer.

DannyCool likes this.
  15. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

In the context of interacting with others that is a horribly egotistical view of things. Those other people are not just figments of your imagination and have their own wishes, which not seldom conflict with your own. So the idea can't be true for both.
    In other contexts it may make more sense.

16. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

When people hurt us it is because we are not getting what we want? Is that true?
    Do you give up trying to change them or do you give up loving them or do you give up doing things for them?

17. GreatScott!

GreatScott! Fapstronaut

I suppose that is true. I think that deep down we all desire to be loved and, perhaps selfishly, if we demonstrate love and affection at some point we would like to receive that in return as well. We do expect it, and maybe some people NEED it more than others because they are lacking in self-love. And if you are not getting the love you expect and desire in one quarter you will point your love into another corner in hopes of better results. Maybe giving up is not the right approach. Perhaps the other person is not receptive to your love AT THAT TIME for various reasons, because they are dealing with their own reality which, of course, differs from yours. Perhaps that person has beliefs that you are unaware of which conflict with being receptive to your love. Perhaps the timing is just not right, and at another time you might have better results.

I have enough on my hands trying to change myself without trying to change others :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  18. Alchemis7

Alchemis7 Fapstronaut

All the wisdom is within you... Congrats, man!

19. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

I love that quote from the Eleven

20. thedaring9

thedaring9 Fapstronaut

Going to read this, thanks for sharing!