1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

With NoFap, I feel I can relate with a spider

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by +TenPercent, Feb 10, 2018.

1. That might sound weird, but hear me out.

I have three pet tarantulas. One of them (a blue legged golden baboon tarantula, Harpactira pulchripes for the enthusiasts) is in a terrarium next to my desk.

It's been very active lately and I noticed that it has developed tibial hooks. What this means is that it is definitely a male, it is now sexually mature, it will never molt again and will probably die in a few months. :(

Here's where it gets interesting. Spiders are generally solitary, but now that he is mature, this guy has one mission and only one - find a female and mate before he dies. Sexually mature male tarantulas are very active, they are on a quest to find a female. When they find her they use those tibial hooks to hold her fangs back as he tries to mate with her. If he's lucky, he'll escape with his life. But, most likely, if he doesn't get killed trying to mate with her, he will get killed as soon as the deed is done . . . and she will probably eat him.

Its a sad fate for male spiders. Even sadder for males in captivity as he will most like spend a few weeks desperately trying to get out of the cage to find a female. Eventually he'll get worn out, give up, get depressed and mope around until he dies. :emoji_cry:

A bit sad for me as well as this is a very expensive spider and I was hoping I had a female who would get much bigger and live much, much longer.

But then, as I'm sitting at my desk, trying to focus on my studies, and struggling with my desire for sexual release . . . it occurred to me that I can kind of relate to what this little guy is going through!!

I'll be at my desk a lot over the next few months. In some twisted way, it will be nice to kind of have a companion with me during my NoFap journey.

Just thought I'd share that. Can't really share it anywhere else! :D

2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

3. AtTheEdge

AtTheEdge Fapstronaut

4. pezzer

pezzer Fapstronaut

does your male tarantula get like easily aggravated then, so would you like not be able to pick him up anymore without him biting you??

5. GigglingTrout

GigglingTrout Fapstronaut

So they rape females without trying to get killed?

I know you're coping right now with no pmo, but maybe you could try to find a better animal to relate with...

pezzer likes this.
  6. I'm not sure I'd call it rape at the females usually kill and eat the males . . . but that's certainly something worth pondering rather than whatever fantasy might be rattling around in my head trying to get me to slip.

I imagine that the females might be hardwired to see the males as food. They see a male approaching them and they attack. The male tries to inseminate her without getting killed (or at least before getting killed).

From an evolutionary perspective, that might work. For the female, responding to an approaching meal as food would mean that the weaker, less agile males would never succeed and she would not be passing on their genes.

7. Oh, I wouldn't dare pick this one up. Most of the baboon tarantulas are extremely bitey and venomous. I was not able to find information online as to how venomous this one is, but I don't want to volunteer myself to be the first test subject! :D

What this means for me is that I will have to be much more careful than usual when I feed this one. It will be more likely to attack and more likely to try to escape.

pezzer likes this.