1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why suffering is not a bad thing.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by NoneForMeThanks, Aug 21, 2016.

1. NoneForMeThanks

NoneForMeThanks Fapstronaut

I am a man who has suffered for most of the life. Looking back I wouldn't change one second of that suffering. We gain so many valuable things through suffering:

We learn whats important:
    when I spent so much time in a brain fog, I HATED not being able to connect with others. I learned that this emotional connection is extremely important to me.

We learn who we want to be: Being socially awkward and anxious, and lacking confidence was one of the worst feelings for me. I knew I didn't want to be this man. It was clear though this struggle I knew I wanted to be confident and free.

We learn what happiness is: How do we know when we are happy if we have never been sad? How do we know when we are in the right place if we have never been out of place? This suffering gives us an invaluable perspective on life.

Through Suffering we gain strength: When we are forced to wake up in the morning, and trudge through the depths of hell day after day, we find that each day it becomes a little easier to take one MORE step then we did yesterday. "Ive done this before. Ive got this". When things get bad in the future we can look back and say, "Ive been through worse", and continue to march on.

Through suffering we gain character:
    Having spent so much time suffering in my own life, I can now look at others who are suffering with deep compassion. Having needed a hand out to me so many times, I can lend my hand out to others who need it. I know understand that everyone is just doing the best with where they are at, and am a much better person because I too have suffered.

Through suffering we learn to take control of our lives: Coming in and out of states of suffering time after time, we learn we are in control of our suffering. We (hopefully) learn to reject bad friends, toxic substances, addiction, that put us in states of suffering. And when we are in these states, we learn to accept and embrace the suffering while it lasts.

Through suffering, we gain humility: I know now that my body is fragile. I am not a superhero. I am not above anyone else and I am not above suffering. In fact, no one is above suffering. We are all human, we are all flawed.

I hope this helps someone in the struggle out there. It is all a matter of perspective my brothers. Suffering is not a bad thing.

None

2. kevinkevin19

kevinkevin19 Fapstronaut

Through suffering, we usually become a much stronger person than before we suffered. :D

3. Welcome to the Club @NoneForMeThanks

I can say today I am not afraid of anything, not even a gun to my face or knife to my throat, after having been purged through the most horrific mental and physical torments for years on end.

4. This post has helped me a lot, thanks you sir!