1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I stopped playing video games

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by RealLifeGamer, May 1, 2016.

1. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

depends on the game. Certain games I can play for a while and then go do something else, but if it's anything made by paradox my whole day is gone.

2. iHappy

iHappy Guest

Yea, offline games can be addictive as well.
    Today I have decided to install Torchlight 2 ( after 60 days detox ) and mine goal is to play it for -2 hours each day. We shall see how it goes but I am not optimistic.In the past I couldn't moderate playing and I will probably fail again.If that happens I am done with gaming.

3. You inspired me bro.
    I'm stopping playing video games too.
    "I will not waste my time on being a virtual hero. i will be an overlord in reality." - RealLifeGamer

DjAng0 likes this.
  4. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

Aw. [​IMG] Well, I hope you'll find other things that are as fun and cheap.

5. DjAng0

DjAng0 Fapstronaut

Let me guess you are an AR gamer?

6. Harpsichord

Harpsichord Fapstronaut

I can say I used to be addicted to gaming, or at least I was doing it compulsively. Ever since I first got to experience games, I always wanted more and more. Late last year I successfully stayed away from them for almost two months and I can say I'm mostly free from the compulsion to "just do this one more thing before I quit".

However, nowadays as I spend all day practicing drums and game very sporadically. After practicing for 35 hours this past week alone, I can say it was nice to take my mind off trying to play Buddy Rich solos and just play games (Space Engineers and rFactor) to chill and have some fun. And it was good fun for some time, then I just closed things down and moved on.

Somewhat echoing what JesusGreen said: when you can discern, and act against the compulsion to grind, or be completionist on them, etc., games become just that, they're no burden on you but a pleasant short break from trying to be an overlord of reality.

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  7. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

I play a few games of town of salem everyday, it's fun and it doesn't suck you in, because the ''matches'' are short, I don't see it as a problem tho

8. Yeah but its actually truth like Assassins Creed who brings interest in history in thousands young people.Many started reading books because of games like Wichter or Metro, of course is bad playing 24 per day some shitty mmorpg i agree with this but not every game requires whole day to finish.

9. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

I'll say it again: to anyone that has had bad experiences with gaming, I recommend trying some offline games. Get a Game Boy Advance SP with some games, and have fun. [​IMG]

10. Brah42

Brah42 Fapstronaut

That 's tough

11. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

The sheer volume of responses in this thread, I think anyway, indicates how rampant video game use is. I still play games – but very rarely. As a kid and teen, games were my life, and now I regret the continent sized amounts of time I spent on them. Whole summers. Good grief. I really do think games can be the perfect storm of fake accomplishment and distraction for males (women game but far less frequently). You can feel useful and skilled and heroic, all things men want . . .

I will say though, I still respect video games. Some games have changed the way I look at the world (like Earthbound or Silent Hill) in a good way, a mind expanding way, and others have connected me to my friends. And I won't get into it now, but video games can be real teachers if we let them. It basically comes down to how we use them. They can just swaddle our anxiety in a woolly blanket, or they can be a valid way to make new memories or create things with friends. I play maybe once a month. Anyways, just presenting an alternative perspective.

12. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

I deleted all my games a month ago. It was hard to do but I haven't really looked back. The only game I still play and only with friends is Battlefield one. All the other games I deleted like Fallout, elderscrolls, The sims, I only played them for the sex mods and "adult mods" anyways. So it was a win win for me. There's lots others I deleted too one was Civilization 5 I think I had 5000 hours in that game. What a fucking waste.

13. BonjourEsteban

BonjourEsteban Fapstronaut

I believe in moderation. The relationship with the activity.

I think it can distract and promote this escape artist mentality. As a nearly 30 year old....I spent so much of my life accomplishing fake goals. I rarely play now, but I will say, every couple of weeks I like to drink a beer and play something from my past for an hour or so. Or something new. Its taken me almost a year to beat this JRPG. I rather be working out, or learning something that I can apply in life.

14. I have done this before. Deciding not to play games again.... simply because something in my real life upset me so much that I thought it was my fault...so my solution? Stop playing video games. There were such phases in my life, but in the end I have realised that video games have got me through difficult phases in my life. I see them as a positive source.

I don't play games that require you to put a lot of time in them (eg: MMORPGs, Online Shooters....basically anything close to competitive MLGish gaming). The games I play are the ones that give me good personal experiences, example: Nintendo games, Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Castlevania, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow Of The Colossus, I could go on and on.

What I am trying to say is that video games played in a healthy manner is fine and can be really fun. I mostly restrict myself to finishing one video game per month, along with one book per month.

Don't link it to PMO, guys... one is positive and harmless; the other is just a demonic, deceitful force that ruins your life for real.

15. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

Nice post. [​IMG]

16. BonjourEsteban

BonjourEsteban Fapstronaut

Content is key. There are some pieces of art out there in the video game world. Some amazing music as well. I remember crying at the end of metal gear solid 3.

I think minecraft is an amazing tool for the kids today. If I had children I would want them playing that. In moderation of course :):)

17. CiscoGHG

CiscoGHG New Fapstronaut

I will never stop life isn't just about working and stuff I wanna enjoy it with something that I like to do and I still reach stuff in my life I'm working out 3 times a week and I'm doing very good in school. At the end of the day we are all dead and everything we have done is gone...

18. LethalSlim

LethalSlim Fapstronaut

I was reading through some of the comments because this is a subject that I'm really interested in changing soon. (Leaving the gaming world) And then I thought for a minute and realized something that I thought about the other day. So for me, I'm addicted to gaming and most of the entertainment that I watch is actually just gamers playing games and not actual tv lol. I don't put a crazy amount of time on games anymore but there are days especially on weekends where I might play for 6hrs because I don't have plans and am playing with friends online. Anyways, what I was trying to get to is that just like any addiction, indulging in video games can start to take over your life and crowd out more important things. What I noticed was I was trying to get into a routine of eating healthier and working out more, but when I started spending more time on games I found it harder and harder to pull away from the pc to go do a run or workout. I just didn't have the drive or motivation to do it. It sapped the desire that I had to get up and get moving. So that's just one more negative that I noticed, besides the amount of time that it steals from us.