1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does everybody want to live in either California or New York so badly?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 3, 2018.

Where are you currently live?

1. Pacific (California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon)

2. Mountain (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming)

3. Central (Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Louisiana, Illinois)

4. Eastern (New York, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Massachusetts, So/No Carolina,)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I mean, as a former Californian, why everybody dreaming about California and/or New York so much? I used to live in California in my first 13 years of my life (now I'm 27) until my dad and I moved out of the state because it's overwhelmingly expensive and overpopulated. However, I can say I'm glad I don't live and wouldn't want to live in California. I've never been to New York and that's expensive too, which is ranked second behind California. The cost of living, population, traffic, grocery and restaurant prices, car insurance, gasoline, taxes, and attractions in both states are all ridiculously waste of money and it hurts your saving. If you have 150 thousand dollars in your bank, you wouldn't live in either California or New York more than 3 years.

I get that the weather is nice in California and all but it seems some parts of the state is on fire every year. The traffic in New York feels like taking forever and you may have to wait to get to work and home for about an hour or two, just like the roads in Los Angeles.

Besides, I would rather live in somewhere affordable and cheap like Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and New Hampshire. I don't know about employments but I'm sure the cost of living and population in those states will give you no problems if I'm correctly. If you have a good job and wage, living in the affordable states like Colorado, Arizona, and Oklahoma feels like a lifetime and it's the best bet, in my opinion.

2. California has a lot of negatives. I’d love to move out. But right now I’m not in a position to do so.

3. I love living in California. The weather is beautiful most of the time, there are beaches and lots of stuff to explore. Especially in the LA area, I would imagine most people who want to live there or in New York enjoy the city lifestyle. And those happen to be the two best places to live if that's the kind of life you have. Also, a gone pursuing any kind of career in film or theater doesnt have a lot of options.

4. I live in Arizona and have lived here all of my life. Its significantly cheaper then California but there are downsides. Here in Phoenix we are the 5th largest US city, most people don't realize that. It's LA traffic without beach access or Disneyland. Also the air quality blows. Dust storms, pollution, 113 or higher most days in the summer and the summer is from mid April to Nov. I still love it though the sunsets are amazing and still trip me out daily.

5. I visited Mesa a few times because my mother used to live there and I loved that town. It has been over a decade the last time I visited the state and still want go back visiting there soon. Mesa looked cheap and relaxing than Phoenix if I'm correctly.

6. I'm not a huge fan of Mesa but it's alright. I don't think it's cheaper then Phoenix though, but maybe.

7. he's not kidding, I took this pic in south AZ near Mexico. jaw dropping stuff
    [​IMG]

8. Wow, that's some great photograph! :emoji_blush:

9. risk_taker

risk_taker Fapstronaut

I'm on the east coast currently living in New Jersey about an hour out from NYC. I tend to agree with Castielle that people are wanting that city lifestyle. I feel like there are various advantages and disadvantages. The younger I was, I definitely think I glorified the advantages over the disadvantages. As I grew up, knowing friends that live in NYC and visiting made me aware of some disadvantages crowded, expensive housing, polluted (depending on where in the city). There's a part of me that wants to live that apartment style fast paced city life but there's another part of me which wants to move out to Hawaii or Washington.

ivanhoe and Deleted Account like this.
  10. Blossom

Blossom Fapstronaut

Cause many people want to feel the taste of "The American Dream"

hardowner and Deleted Account like this.
  11. I don't really want to live in California or New York. No offence but I would only move to America if A) I was offered a really, really, really, really, really good job or B) I married a woman who really, really, really, really, really needed/wanted to live there. Many Americans get offended when I share my reason why for not wanting to live there so probably best to not say here. It would be nice to go on holiday but not live there permanently.

12. I am curious and I would not be offended.
    If you don't want to put it publiclly you can pm me. I am always interested to hear things I am not supposed to hear! :)

to the OP-
    Part of it is that is where the jobs are - many people would choose NOT to- because it has gotten so crowded and so expensive. Many people trying to raise families and have an affordable home in a good school district literally have to commute 2 hours to work... California used to be really nice now it's an overcrowded mess for the most part, NYC is just too dense and overpopulated.

I am glad I don't have to live in either, but if the population was say, 50% less, it would e nice to live there.

Deleted Account and Taylor25 like this.
  13. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Hmm, stats show otherwise.

206EF2FD-056D-438F-8266-BD598261533F.jpeg
    57541553-CE3C-44CD-B194-26D6CFB2A7AC.png

14. This.

The idea is people want to live in CA/NY because of the attractions, weather, jobs, etc but the reality is people are fleeing them in droves. I see this all the time here in TX, lot of Cali people moving here recently. They are fleeing the consequences of the disastrous policies they themselves voted for in their home states: high cost of living, extremely high taxes, stifling regulations and intrusive government, high crime, and deteriorating demographics.

15. going> young people to have fun, chase their dreams, check off a box (I lived In Manhattan a year, like a study abroad program)
    leaving>companies going to tax shelters and bringing their employees with them, people trying to form/raise a family, retirees trying to stretch their dollards.

MLMVSS likes this.
  16. I know i don't. I love it in Michigan and it would take a lot to get me to move.

17. I care less about city lifestyle than anything else. From what I've heard online, small or medium cities/towns like Mesa, Aspen, Fort Collins, Park City, and Ogden all inexpensive for living and stuff.

18. @What I Do That Defines Me

I know nothing about Michigan so how is the state? Is it cheap? Does it have things to do?

19. I'm not sure how cheap it is in comparison with other places, but where i'm at there's plenty to do. There's theatres, restaurants, museums, parks, bowling alleys, whatever you want really. The further you go up north the less there is to do.

Taylor25 and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  20. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Now I want to know. If you don't feel comfortable saying in the thread PM me.

Pretty much the same here. There are also some nice paintball places here.