1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do I find self development so complicated? What can I do to fix it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by NakedDisciple, Oct 21, 2017.

1. NakedDisciple

NakedDisciple Fapstronaut

Like I spend hours researching and trying to figure things out.

Like there are so many principles like self mastery and stoicism etc etc .

Like all these habits, routines, reminders and complentating is just making me mad and sad.

2525 likes this.
  2. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Start small. Start with yourself. Read what you are inclined to read. Let that lead on to other things. Let things develop organically, and see how they interconnect. Strive for unity and coherency.

Deleted Account and 2525 like this.
  3. What type of development are you seeking? Physical , mental?

4. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

I am a bit like this.... and often feel overwhelmed by the endless free material out there - Wikipedia for example!

Knowledge is nice but it will not make you happy by itself... You have to try other stuff - like communicating with others (Nofap or real life) actually doing things ( e.g. visiting somewhere new ) instead of sitting down and researching. Keeping fit and healthy...and other good things.

Many don't even bother thinking about 'self-development' - they just do what makes them happy without analyzing why.

5. r8js

r8js Fapstronaut

@NakedDisciple , ur 16yr old, highly appreciate ur efforts ,ur willingness, ur observations .

6. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

One is always developing the self. Perhaps it is only difficult because we have become aware of said development.

7. NakedDisciple

THANK YOU BUZZ LIGHTYEAR!

I realized I have completely been over-complicating shit. I have a great tendency to do that.

Single Palm Change likes this.
  8. NakedDisciple

Good advice.

9. NakedDisciple

All aspects of life.

10. Gotta be specific. What aspects?

11. NakedDisciple

Why would I do self development for just specific aspects of life?

12. Ali97

Ali97 Fapstronaut

You can develop specific aspects only as @Survivalist said because if you developed every aspect you'd be called "Perfect" and there is not a single human on earth who achieved "Perfection".

13. I meant: you have to start somewhere, you gotta be specific and not distracted. Master one skill/habit a time, then move on.

NakedDisciple likes this.
  14. Single Palm Change

Single Palm Change Fapstronaut

I get perfectionist stress as well. It really helps to sit down and try to define exactly my goals. Then I can somewhat sort illusions from reality, it gives some peace of mind as well