1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your ideas for next MCU phases?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 5, 2019.

1. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I am really dating myself for showing this clip but man 80's childhood was the best!

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I went into Black Panther already turned off by the over the top reaction to it, but I figured it couldn't be that bad considering I kinda liked T'challa in Civil War. I found myself bored and wanting to turn it off by the midway point, it just seemed like a mediocre superhero movie that people were elevating because they thought it was "important" or something, despite there being black-led superhero movies in the past (cough, Blade, cough). Add that to a lot of cringey moments (the bit where the M'baku barks at Martin Freemans character was awful), a terrible "woke" villain who's motive didn't make much sense, and a whole lotta race-baiting dialogue (they keep making references to colonisers despite Wakanda being isolated and so therefore not colonised by whites, if anything the Wakandans are the imperialist colonisers, its hypocritical), and we got a movie I just didn't like.

I'll admit I didn't see Captain Marvel. As a DC fan I felt like Marvel were trying too hard to emulate the success of Wonder Woman with the marketing and were somewhat salty that DC got there first. I also strongly dislike Captain Marvel as a character, I heard about how much of a bitch she is in the comics and did my research, and was seriously turned off. Trailers made it seem like Brie Larson had the emoting skills of a plank of wood, and she was actively antagonistic to her own audience.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. yourhomieishere

yourhomieishere Fapstronaut

Honestly, the actress who played Captain Marvel was very bland. She just didn't have a personality that clicked with me like all the other MCU characters

4. While I enjoyed the movie for what it was, I can't disagree with some of these. The movie was extremely overhyped to the point of it getting a little annoying and I fail to see why a movie with an predominately black cast should be something to celebrate when we've gotten those before (Gotta love Friday :p). I'll agree with the villian as well, I still can't remember what the hell his motives were other than, to simplify it, "white people are evil". And race-baiting dialogue is unnecessary, I'll concur there too.

As for Captain Marvel, this seems more rooted in what you "felt" rather than what Marvel was trying to do. Knowing the outline of the movies, it seems to me Captain Marvel was going to show up regardless of what DC did. Can't comment on everything else, though since I don't care about nor do I pay attention to Brie Larson (or any member of the cast for that matter).

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I didn't mean the movie only existed as a reaction to DC, I know it existed as early as 2014, I meant that the marketing to it was at least partially a reaction to it. When Wonder Woman was coming out there was a big "oh look a movie with a woman in it" push that didn't make sense to me, Wonder Woman is part of the trinity for Christs sake, people have always loved her. I saw a lot of people saying that it was odd that DC made a female led superhero movie before Marvel did, despite Marvel having a head start of many years. Then, lo and behold, when the time comes for Captain Marvel to come out, they start using the same marketing tricks, with the "her" turning into "hero" bit in the trailers and them really pushing the whole "strong independent woman angle to the extent I just found it obnoxious. As for how Brie Larson is in real life, I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it still does, just look up any video of her talking about the movie or interacting with the cast members and she seems like this weird stuck up alien who doesnt understand human interaction. This translates into her performance where even in the trailers she barely changes her facial expression, which seems to be the "in" thing for female leads now; make them stoic and emotionless for some reason.

I'm 22, so not old enough to have been alive when these movies first came out, but I grew up watching Terminator, Alien, Star Wars, all these great movies with women as leads or as primary cast members where they were allowed to be passionate, emotional, etc, without it stopping them being awesome characters. Nowadays there seems to be some weird push to make women "strong" by making them act exactly like stoic men, which seems to defeat the point for me. Brie Larson as Captain Marvel is just another example of this.