1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good person? How do you be good? What is good?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BestVersionToday, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Title

Basically, what is a good person. Define it.

I'll get the ball rolling
    • To not harm or upset anyone
    • To respect all people equally

Religious opinions welcomed and invited

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

I think it depends on what kind of standards are being used. By man's standards, what you have to have, in my opinion, is good character. Being humble, caring about the poor & widows and standing up for what is right. By the Bible's standards, no one is good except for Jesus Christ. We're all sinners and we fall short of God's expectations.

Hitto, overclocked and KS1994 like this.
  3. Depends.

Al Capone sincerely thought he was a good person. He thought he was helping society. He was responsible for murders, extortion, brothels, smuggling, and all sorts of other criminal activities.

So speaking from his view point: A person that is self centered, greedy, lascivious, decietful, cruel, and cunning is a great person.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

A good person attempts to reduce unnecessary suffering in others.

5. A Batman

A Batman Fapstronaut

A good person is almost free from guilt. I believe guilt comes when I feel I violated my own principles or did something socially unacceptable.It is hard to get rid off.

6. Religious opinions encouraged

It's been said that nobody sees themselves as "bad", not even an axe murderer, but I don't think that's true. It's the good guys that see themselves as bad and the bad guys that should, don't. However, some people are open about it shamelessly say "I'm a cunt", these people are the narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths who lack empathy.

7. A good person feeds baby deer.

Coffee Candy and Deleted Account like this.
  8. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

Would that include unnecessary suffering to all beings, or just human beings?

9. A good person does not judge who is good or bad... Oops!

10. It´s not so difficult. Watch a Disney movie and you can tell, who are the good and who are the bad ones. Or read a classic fairy tale. Every kid can do that. The good ones help, protect and are kind to the weak, the mistreated, the old, the poor, the young ones and to animals. The bad ones are the abusive, envious, jealous, greedy, powerhungry and merciless, who often appear to be respectable on the surface, if they are not openly evil yet.

Of course does a good person judge and try to stop an evil person. If he wouldn´t try or care at all, that makes him nothing better than a collaborateur.

Themadfapper likes this.
  11. We have wars because people who think they are good try to stop people who they think are bad. In wars, both sides think they are good. Beyond good and evil lies peace.

12. No, peace is good and the better. But that makes war necessary, if evil becomes too strong. Same as you need the police to keep criminals from taking advantage of peaceful or innocent people. Beyond good and evil might be somewhere beyond, but not here on earth.

13. Are you a Kurt Vonnegut fan? Sounds like something he’d say.

He was in WW2 and wrote how at times America didn’t seem like good guys. Sacrilege to the ears of Americans who think the US was incapable of anything wrong against opponents that there were so blantantly evil.

But the US was in fact a fucked up country fighting other countries that were more fucked up.

We can say this of individuals. We are all fucked up in some way but some are more fucked up than others.

So really, is anyone good?

Perhaps life is basically trying to get to what ever ideal is in the head of the individual. That’s going to depend on what that person’s world view is based on. What is the standard used?

15. Mkngitwrk

Mkngitwrk Fapstronaut

A good person does no harm to others. How am I a good person? I try to show empathy and not judge. When I can do good deeds without expecting something in return or recognition. Good is being kind and caring and treating others the way you want to treated. Honest

BestVersionToday likes this.
  16. ClaritySeeker

Would treating others well by reducing harm apply to all beings or just human beings?

17. I personally don't know if anybody is truly 100% good (I've never met them if they exist) as we all seem to have something residing in us, and while we may think we're pure or free from evil I bet most of us do at least something that would be considered bad. I guess really it depends on what you consider a good person is as it's sort of a subjective area, as that perspective is different from person to person.

18. Mkngitwrk

Mkngitwrk Fapstronaut

Everyone and everything.

19. ClaritySeeker

Then you would apply this to animals as well (everyone and everything)? How can we justify killing more than 56 billion farmed animals (that's a ridiculous amount) every year when the current human population is around 7.7 billion? How can we justify it when no being needs to die (we can do very well on a plant based diet)? And before someone makes the ridiculous argument about what would happen to all the animals alive now if we didn't kill them, the only reason there are so many in the first place is because we breed them into existence due to our demand for animal flesh. Do you think we should reduce harm to all beings now? Or would you say most people are hypocrites? The best argument is when someone says we need to eat animals to be healthy, this is exactly the opposite of the truth, animal flesh is responsible for our number killer in the world - heart disease.

Anyways, I try to be a good person by reducing harm as much as possible and hopefully opening some eyes...

20. That may be somewhat true if you're eating an extremely large amount of red meat every single bloody day, but even then I'd take those studies with a grain of salt. If anything eating processed foods would give you a higher chance of heart disease and cancer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.