1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to your brain when you stop listening to music?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 24, 2016.

1. So I've decided to stop listening to music. It has been 48 hours now and my mind has a deafening silence, like a black void is building up in my head. I've also noticed that I can study with a greater focus and fall asleep faster. Of course this could all be placebo.

Anyone else experiment with this? What do you think will happen if you cut listening to music out of your life, like through youtube or ipods or what not. And when I mean cut music out I mean like actively listening to it. It doesn't count if I walk into a mall and hear the background music.

2. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

I like music but i think it woudnt be so hard. Why would you cuf off music? Are you addicted to constant noises everywhere around you?

3. Green_Tea

Green_Tea Fapstronaut

Over the past year or so, I've greatly reduced the amount of time I spend listening to music. Recently I had a period of about 2 weeks where I didn't listen to any music; there did appear to be a subtle state of mental clarity which seemed to manifest. It was as though a hidden silence accompanied me. Although, I still listen to music now, it's not even close to as much as I did before.

4. Yeah, I want that mental clarity.

Deadlihood likes this.
  5. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Over the past years the way I listen to music as changed a lot, along with the genres. My favorite music used to be very atmospheric metal music. Long, drawn-out pieces that take you to places and create moods you haven't felt before. This music is such that you totally immerse yourself in it. Now I can hardly listen to it anymore because I feel like I'm losing contact with the world. It creates a sort of parallel universe you escape into, not unlike video games. I needed this music to give room to the darer reaches of my psyche, but I don't need it anymore. If I listen to it, it's only in very small and rare doses.

Nowadays I listen to music that is more in the here and now. I am starting to like improvised music. This music is not as intense (personally I don't think anything can top the intensity of that otherworldly stuff I listened to for me), but it feels healthier. I also listen to far less music in general.

So... I think it all has a lot to do with the way you listen to music and the type you are listening to!

6. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

someone on here thinks music is a relapse

jdilla97 and Deadlihood like this.
  7. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

TRIGGERED! This post made me listen to 21 Guns by Green Day and FUCKED ME UP! Gotta go post that I relapsed on the NoMusic forums...

Sigh.

ISFPdude and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Honestly, OP brings up a good question. I may try this myself and see if I notice any results. One thing I need to cut down on is the amount of YouTube Let's Plays I listen to (I treat them like podcasts.)

I need to find other things to do with myself...

9. I would die. My brain might quite literally shrivel up and die. Music is my only escape from the shittiness of this world. I write and perform it. I am absolutely and hopelessly addicted to music. I could not go a single day without it. But I don't think it's bad. Even with the UNBELIEVABLE amount of time and attention I dedicate to music, I've been able to be a dedicated father, become an engineer, publish scientific papers in respected journals, present my research at international conferences, and actually got Trace''s manager (the Trace that sings 'Low') to notice my music. There are good things and bad things in life. Just because you would die without air, doesn't mean it's bad for you.

:)

Merlionno, jdilla97 and Deadlihood like this.
  10. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Its a good thing to be addicted to music because you can become a musician so its not so bad

11. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Iggy, what's this I hear about you re-joining Guns N' Roses?

Dziki007 likes this.
  12. tattleen7

tattleen7 Guest

I Cant Quit Listening Music It Is The Only Way I Can Relax And Be At Peace With Myself

Deadlihood likes this.
  13. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

What's your favorite song(s)?

14. tattleen7

tattleen7 Guest

That List Keeps On Changing Currently I Am Addicted To-All We Know by chainsmokers,together-martin garrix,pick yourself up again-boyeceavenue And My Favorite Tera Woh Pyaar (Coke Studio) In Short I Like Songs With Meaning Full Lyrics...

Deadlihood likes this.
  15. jdilla97

jdilla97 Fapstronaut

I make music and I love listening to it too. It's one of the most important things in my life, when I'm started doing it, then instantly I was like: "I will do it through my whole life". Amazing feeling.
    So I can't live without it, one day is too much for me ;)

Deadlihood and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Nothing compares, right?

Deadlihood likes this.
  17. Wait, wasn't it Izzy Stradlin who was part of GN'R?
    Maybe it's Iggy Pop? or God forbid, Iggy Azalea...

:eek:

18. I deleted all the music from my phone and I don't listen to music anymore. Listening to music a lot has actually stressed me out sometimes, so I stopped listening to it and now my mind is clear and I am less stressed.

DonDraper likes this.
  19. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

It was... I realized that moments after I posted about Iggy. Oh well! I get a D for effort.

Isn't Azalea the chick that sings Black Widow Baby (or whatever)?

20. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Thank you!!