1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What foreign language are you studying?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Born_For_War, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Hi everyone!

What foreign language(s) are you studying? What resources do you use? Textbooks, audio, or interactive media? How fluently can you speak it now? How are your comprehension skills? Etc., etc.

Me: Polish language, using the auxiliary textbook 301 Polish Verbs and my main textbook Basic Polish. I have a dictionary too, which naturally comes in very useful. Still at beginner's level conversational Polish, although I can generally understand all questions that are put to me in the language. Each day I record myself speaking the four example sentences that correspond to each verb out of my 301 Polish Verbs, which proves to be a useful bit of pronunciation practice.

2. Inspire360

Inspire360 Fapstronaut

Yak shi mash?

Hello, and I am learning the Spanish language for some time now, I started in sep. 2017 mostly with words using Duolingo.com vocabulary is very important to make sentences. I quickly built a foundation and now I find myself watching Spanish movies :). This is where listening skills come into play. Also just bought a beginners reading book. Which proved to be challenging.

Asgardian36 and Born_For_War like this.
  3. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

I think you mean "jak się masz," to which I would answer: "Dobrze, a ty?"

This is useful information--I have used Duolingo before for Polish and Russian. Good luck with your Spanish study!

Asgardian36 likes this.
  4. HighFlyer

HighFlyer Fapstronaut

Can I ask, what is the purpose of you learning polish? I'm a polish native and can't really imagine where might it be useful. Oh, one think that goes to my mind is picking up our beautiful girls with the use of it. Btw, take into account that for people from outside the slavic countries, polish is horrendously difficult. But despite that, i've seen a lot of asian people talking almost native-like in my mother tone. I could recommend the best english-polish dictionary that i use. It's called Wielki słownik PWN-Oxford and you should easily find it on some torrent sites to download. And the best online one is diki.pl imho. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Asgardian36 and Born_For_War like this.
  5. Single Palm Change

Single Palm Change Fapstronaut

French, German and Spanish on "Duolingo" App. Nowhere near fluent. These languages are just nice to know when you live in Europe.
    Mandarin Chinese on "Hello Chinese" App - this is pretty fun to learn because it is so different. Been doing it for 7 days now. Starting to get pronounciation right.

Born_For_War likes this.
  6. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

mastered ocker stralian..
    (is there a need for any other language?) :)

7. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

The whole idea behind learning Polish is so that I can go to Poland, and make myself understood as well as to understand. I realise that a lot of Poles speak good or excellent English, but I find it satisfying and interesting to study. I've got the Oxford Essential Polish Dictionary, is that the one you mean? The only thing that's really difficult to me about Polish is that one does not often translate things literally to and from English...

And @A41:14A, hahah, I thought our "secret" language was called 'Strine. The perfect lingo for anyone aiming to confuse and disrupt the work of foreign spies!

Asgardian36 and A41:14A like this.
  8. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

You know, everyone seems to react the same way and ask me the same questions regarding my Polish study. "Why are you doing it?" "Isn't it difficult?" etc. etc.

Hey, it's interesting, and speaking of hard--at least it's not Finnish!

Asgardian36 and A41:14A like this.
  9. I study japanese. The books I'm using are called Genki. There is a workbook, lots of Audio, great exercises etc.

Doing it as a minor subject in college and will continue afterwards. It's incredibly fun.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  10. My school offers Arabic as a foreign language, so I thought why not? And here I am in my second year of it. It's coming relatively easy to me, which is great

11. JakeO5

JakeO5 Fapstronaut

Im learning Spanish for a funny reason,,, to watch Nacros one day without subtitles lol hahaha, and i use the "Spanish" app on Android, learning fast

lo estoy haciendo bien

Asgardian36 likes this.
  12. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Very interesting guys, keep those replies coming! :D

13. LCKDLE740

LCKDLE740 New Fapstronaut

Not a “new” language but I am working on improving my Welsh because I’m proud of my country and blessed to be born at a time when our language is experiencing a resurgence in popularity :) also working on Spanish as I want to work in spain or Argentina (I’m a football/Soccer Coach)

Asgardian36 likes this.
  14. Born_For_War

Born_For_War Fapstronaut

Oh, nice! I hear Welsh is quite difficult, how are you finding it?

LCKDLE740 likes this.
  15. vinilzord2.0

vinilzord2.0 Fapstronaut

I'll venture myself in studying either Spanish or Japanese this year. I live in Brazil so speaking Spanish is the easiest way to connect with folks from Latin America. And Japanese because I don't want to feel stupid during my stay in JP for the next Olympics.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  16. GigglingTrout

GigglingTrout Fapstronaut

I used to practice Spanish a bit, but never got fluent in it.

I live in Korea now, so I'm starting Korean. Been kinda busy though, so I haven't been super dedicated to learning it...

Asgardian36 likes this.
  17. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

I am studying Japanese as I will be spending a year there very shortly. I currently use a cd/book series called Living Language which I am very fond of (a lot cheaper than Rosetta Stone, but still very effective if you push yourself to put in the work). I also used a site called "Conversation Exchange" to meet a few people in Japan that I talk with every so often and met a Japanese friend here that I study with.

I am not yet very fluent. I have the Hiragana alphabet down and am currently studying the Katakana alphabet. Focusing at the moment on grammar and sentence structure and intend to be conversational by the time I leave.

18. I am studying english (wich is eazy offcourse) and german. Still in school so. Cant really speak german fluently but Its understandable.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  19. Eric8475

Eric8475 Fapstronaut

Wow, quite a few japanese students here. Currently I study Japanese and Spanish in night school. Why? Because Spanish is the most beautiful language in the world besides french, but french is only beautiful if you speak nicely. I go on vacation to Japan this year and I'm going places where the typical western tourists don't go, so I need a small vocabulary just to be on the safe side.
    Where I live we already speak at least 3 languages by age 10, some 4, depending on their background, and by age 19 we all master at least 4 languages. 5 languages is quite common too. And then there are nutjobs like me that eventually want to speak, or at least be comfortable able to read and understand, 10 languages.
    Next language will be Russian, I just love the Cyrillic alphabet.

vinilzord2.0 and Asgardian36 like this.
  20. GeneralismoKilgore

GeneralismoKilgore Fapstronaut

Learning German if anyone is interested in pairing up, I use duolingo mostly but need to do it more often.
    Also interested in learning basics of Spanish as I will be spending some time there.

DE.HK and Asgardian36 like this.