1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do during depression? (strategies)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by galaxim, Nov 27, 2014.

1. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Hi! I wanted to ask you if you've managed to do something "useful" during those low times. As for me, as I can't concentrate to study a language, read nor exercise (as my muscles don't respond properly), I try to watch a good TV serie or a comedie.

I keep the cold showers, thinking "I might be depressed, but I don't have to be depressed AND dirty". Sometimes I do some small chores around the house, such as washing the dishes.

I was wondering about other ideas, trying to focus into the positive, but when you're with a reduced level of energy and you're having dark thoughts. If you've been depressed before, you know what I'm talking about: that nothing is really worth it, why am I doing "this" (whatever "this" might be), that life has no purpose, etc.

I also try to repeat the same thought over and over again "a mountain is a mountain, a mountain is NOT a mountain", a way of meditation. Or saying to myself "this is my depression talking, this is not me". "My life's exactly the same as it was before; just my brain chemicals have changed for a few days".

Other healthy strategies are welcomed. Not PMO/MO, alcohol, drugs.

Thank you for reading.

Galaxim.

2. I've noticed that usually what works for me is anything that attaches me to materiality, if that makes sense. It usually translates by things related to food, such as cooking shows, having a nice restaurant for once, or simply cooking. Not necessarily eating; it's just to remind me of my basic needs, to prove myself that I'm still alive. Watching stuff that is funny or make me laugh or just relieves me from my emotional capital (watching videos or pregnancy announcements or soldiers homecomings used to be favourite of mine). Video games to, to escape reality.

You probably know this, but if you have enough energy - I know it's usually not the case for me, writing is very relieving too. Even if it's the darkest stuff ever written. It's just about sharing empathy with "something else".

I know it might not sound useful, but I'll be honest: when you're depressed, really depressed, anything that keeps you alive is useful. Basic survival is what it is. It's a disease. Sorry for not being very helpful galaxim, but please believe that I care about you and I know you'll feel better.

If I recall some other elements I'll share them immediately.

3. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Hey Ando! Yes, writing is good. I forgot about that. Actually, writing these lines already makes me feel better.

In the past I used to play videogames in moderation and they helped (RPGs, mostly).
    That's the good thing about having a premade routine: that no matter how do you feel, you have a list of things to do. For example, I've build a list of activities based on my energy level: high (the energy required to study and memorize, for example), medium and low.

I'm also keeping track of my time use with an Excel file, so from the beginning of the day I know what's my energy level and what to expect for that day in particular.

In the end, did you find the stopwatch to be useful? And the Kratos guide (http://www.kratosguide.com/16-habits-you-should-do-every-day/) or something along those lines? (just curiosity)

My Excel file is not to do 16 different things everyday, as I don't tend to procastinate. Is more to get precise information about my ups and downs. That has helped me to find better coping strategies. I'm also changing my medication, so I'll see how that works.

:)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  4. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

It's an interesting idea, that of being connected with life or with the living in some way when you're depressed. I think that's I've been doing some days, when I went out to my jarden and my fountain, just sitting there. Or when I played with my cats. That always makes me smile.

I've never tried gardening, but perhaps that would serve the same purpose, as you would watch for something that requires your attention and that it's alive.

5. I most, most definitely recommend gardening, so much. Actually, when you think about it, a lot of religions include a part of worship or at least respect of Nature, and if you are religious, you tend to turn to religion when you're depressed (I speak for myself of course). So it does not surprise me that turning to Nature, gardening, food, stuff like that when you're depress is healing, or at least calming. Oh I also recall, I browse a huge lot of stuff relating to home decoration when I'm depressed. Again, materiality. Stuff that is real you know, that's tangible, that you can feel and touch and stuff.

To be honest I didn't had much use of the stopwatch recently. I have found that despite what I thought, I'm very spontaneous. Coupled to my level of dedication and commitment, it makes a pretty powerful work tool. I basically spent my entire life working these days, no time for any procrastination. Also, I am totally unable to limit myself, I know know, understand and respect this. I try to prevent situations that would require a stopwatch, y'kna. I'm still very interested in the Kratos article. I've actually built a meditation habit but gave up because I was feeling too "bound" to it? I'm weird.

Thinking of you bro, bon courage!

6. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Any other ideas, from other users? C'mon, I know Ando and me aren't the only depressives around here... :)

7. KrmGrn

KrmGrn Fapstronaut

I suffered from pretty debilitating depression for a long time. Anything that takes your attention off yourself is probably good. Yoga has been maybe the biggest thing for me in recent years. And you don't have to be in great shape to do it. Just find a beginners class or an open level class and go at your own pace. I'm lucky to have a good place near me. If I'm depressed and I go to a yoga class, it'll be difficult, I'll usually cry and get angry during class, but at the end of class I'm new. Instead of holding onto the anger and sadness I've moved it. And I'll usually sleep well and feel much better the next day.

I'm a teacher and when I'm depressed I don't want to teach. But I go anyway and during the class my depression vanishes. I think it must be because my attention is not on myself when I'm teaching. It's on other people.

Also, when you're depressed your brain won't want to do anything. But you can do it anyway (whatever it is) and you'll feel better for it. We're not slaves to our depressed (or addicted brains).

*there are also free yoga videos and apps that are excellent if you can't get to a class. But I highly recommend a class. There's something more powerful about a group class with an experienced and supportive instructor.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  8. Ekhangel

Ekhangel Fapstronaut

I wish I had one. I just went through a couple of depressive days and am back on my feet again, even though absolutely nothing in my "external" life changed. It is irritating not to be able to control your states of mind properly - or not even knowing ways of tackling the problem. I have been trying to develop a sort of internal mental balance that is there regardless of external factors, to equalize my energy and mood levels, but I guess hardships are the shit that actually give our lives any taste. After all, we'd never be happy if we didn't know the life's gloomy side. Besides, I'mz sure interactions with worthy humans would help me a lot - sadly enough, I hardly have any friends. Certainly none that I can visit or call anytime.

9. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Yes, yoga is great. I used to do it in the past. I actually stopped because I couldn't put it in the same schedule with my university classes. But that's something that I'll add to my list.
    I've also tried for a short time pilates and that was great aswell.
    About teaching: I had the same feeling about going to classes. Sometimes the sole fact of having to change myself to go out, to force myself to listen and to talk a little... that used to help.

10. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Although I'm not the most indicated person to suggest this (as I have a very small circle), have you tried going to groups linked to an activity that you like, such as sports, reading/writing clubs, musical instruments, etc?

11. Hi! I have found that I oftentimes feel lonely when i`m depressed. I normally feel a lot better after spending some time with friends. Also working out often helps a little. And no matter how bad I feel i`m almost always able to read in a book or meditate. I should have been to a therapist by now actually but I just never find the courage to go.

12. Yeah and I almost forgot one thing I often do when I feel like nothing matters. I yust lie down on the bed and try to observe my feelings. I yust lie there and wait for a positive tought, and when it arrives then I can act on it.