1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

We Should Stop Cursing Too

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Estus, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Estus

Estus Banned

.... as well as yelling.

I've done well with the nofap challenge but I want to up the ante.

I think for true discipline one needs complete control of what they say.

That's why I'm going to stop foul language and raising my voice and I welcome anyone to join me.

If you play a lot of Xbox live or even in your choices of words around friends if you stopped and thought about how often and casually you sweared I'm sure most of you would be surprised.

Swearing for me is second nature. There is no resistance or filter unless I'm somewhere formal.

I want to build back up that resistance. I think it's a bad habit.

2. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Self control ties to all aspects of your being. Think about it this way, when you control what you eat and how often you eat, you'll find that your able to control other urges that may appear.

Our sexual urges are no different than our urges to indulge in excessive eating or bingeing on Netflix. They are all connected. Seeing as your 60 days PMO free, you may have come to the realization that there are other aspects about your life you want to control. This is a very good thing!

The main issue is we are living in a society that's telling you to be free and do whatever the hell makes you happy, unless it's harming someone else. The problem is you are harming someone, and that's yourself.

Let us stop being slaves to our bodies, but rather be masters of it!

3. I don't think I would want to limit myself to never swearing, but I did something similar to you a while ago and massively cut down on how much I swore as a result.

What actually helped me was the fact I run a YouTube channel. YouTube has an ad policy about what content is advertiser friendly etc, and if you make content that doesn't tick all the boxes, you're liable to get your videos demonetised and stop earning money from them. One of the things is offensive language. Now I don't believe they penalise you if all you use is one or two swear words here or there, but I'd rather not risk it..

...so I told myself I'm not allowed to swear in my videos, ever.

Now when I first started making my videos this was actually really difficult because I used to swear a lot. I remember in those early videos I would catch myself swearing so many times when I was going back and editing the videos, that I'd have to re-record whole sections.

Now though I think in the entire last year there was maybe one time when I accidentally said "oh shit" in a video, which I promptly edited out, and that was the worst of it.

Self control over the words you use is actually one of the most effective forms of building up will-power I think.

If you want a real challenge, try not to use any forms of self-reference for an entire week.

That means you're not allowed to say:
    - I
    - Me
    - Myself

etc.

So for example, if you went to the cinema yesterday and saw IT, and really liked it, you can't say "I went to watch IT yesterday, it was great", you'd have to say something else like "IT was awesome, you should go see it"

4. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Sounds like good goals, @Estus. The tongue is a difficult and slippery device to master. Definitely still working on my own similar issues.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Which is why Gluttony/delicacy and its twin Lust are classified as deadly sins. Unnecessary carnal desires that end up controlling us are detrimental, which is why doing carnally undesirable feats for morally superior reasons can be beneficial.

Dr. Jekyll and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Really? How are these two linked?

7. Plutonium

Plutonium Fapstronaut

We Should Stop Cursing Too Much

There. Fixed it for you. Ya c*nt.

witchhunt3r and Ash22 like this.
  8. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Cutting profanity does nothing to improve your physical or mental health, so why bother?

witchhunt3r likes this.
  9. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Agreed, OP. Bad habit of mine. Very unprofessional to swear at work, yet I do it all the time. . . and then proceed to judge others that do it themselves. Sigh.

Dr. Jekyll and Born_For_War like this.
  10. F7787552-4462-4D9D-876C-BD59744ACEBB.png

11. SolitaryScribe

The part of your brain that correlated with the appetite for certain foods, is closely connected with the part of your brain the stimulates sexual desires. This is why we often mix food with sex, like chocolates and strawberries.

Both of these are urges. When we don't control what our body eats, what makes you think you'll be able to control when you have an urge for sex.

try fasting from a certain food, like meat or cheese. It's much harder than people think.

MLMVSS likes this.
  12. Wow, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the insight.

MLMVSS likes this.
  13. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

I like the saying that goes something like, swearing is a sign of a limited vocabulary. One of the reasons I don't really swear is that it's a lazy way to express yourself.

14. Plutonium

Plutonium Fapstronaut

I'm not sure this rule is universally true. Many highly intelligent people swear like a trooper. F*ck I oughta know. ;)

And the only study I'm aware of from several years ago into music lyrics - found that Eminem, who I believe likes to let out the odd expletive every now and then, had the most extensive vocabulary of all the artists examined.

15. FriendlyCanadian

FriendlyCanadian Fapstronaut

The tongue is very powerful. It can be used either to build someone up or cut people down and have a negative impact. It's very wise to be careful with the words we choose to say especially in certain situations or around people who are more sensitive to swearing.

16. SolitaryScribe

I couldn't agree more.
    It brings to mind one of the sayings from the church fathers: "Often when I speak I have regretted it, but my silence I have never regretted."

17. It’s called prudence. If you have prudence then swearing will never be a problem.

So, in conclusion, swearing itself isn’t a bad thing. It’s the context and circumstances which change the nature of of the word.

This would definitely apply to slander, gossip, uncharitable speech, and etc but it wouldn’t always apply to foul language. Even the Apostle Paul used the word “shit” in his Epsitle to the Philippians 3:8. The Greek term Paul uses is skubala. This is a Greek word that is the equivalent to the modern English word "shit.” Skubala is a rare word, used only in Philippians 3:8 in the New Testament. Dung, rubbish, refuse, and a loss are various inaccurate translations of the Greek word. No translation accurately translates this term to its modern English equivalence: “shit.” The word means “excrement” either animal or human.“

This doesn’t surprise me though. Saint Paul was always a badass and to the point. Plus if you want to get super technical under Christian theology, you could say Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit to use skubala in his Epistle, which goes to show how much of a badass the Holy Spirit is too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  18. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Very few things are universally true. My experience is that people who swear a lot tend to be not so great at grasping abstract concepts. But my experience is not necessarily universally true, either.

There are a couple of studies on this I'm aware of. They're excellent examples of how easily you can construct a study to find whatever you want. ;)

19. SolitaryScribe

I agree with you, curse words in essence are just words. They don't mean anything. But what people don't understand is they do have an effect on our moods and personalities. People who tend to swear a lot tend to have little control over their anger, and tend to struggle when coming to express themselves through other methods than cursing..

I personally find it that people who swear constantly are less professional and lack certain class, not to be judgmental, it's just how I see it. If I were to meet a person who's language is clean, I'm more likely to trust him and befriend him easier than someone who's constantly swearing.

Spiff likes this.
  20. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut