1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Fasting

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by rafsan045, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rafsan045

rafsan045 Fapstronaut

Hi,
    guys i am going for water fasting for 21 days . i just saw that i am over weighted . i am in worst shape of my life ..also im very very demotiveted .. SO wish me luck .
    i need u all to give me some advice and motivate

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Good luck for sure. I do Intermittent Fasting pretty much every day. I may try a water fast after I get out of my 90 days. Trying to take one step at a time.

3. The advice would be not to do it if you just want to lose fat. In fasts longer than ~24 hours your body will break down muscle and organ tissue - not good. You'll do much better on a calorie deficit or intermittent fasting. And cut down sugar.

But if it's just for fun and lolz then go ahead.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  4. rafsan045

rafsan045 Fapstronaut

i already did . i dont eat salt , sugar , or any junk food but still iam over weight

5. Ketogenic diet or meat only diet, you get the exact same benefits of fasting but without actually starving yourself.

I repeat, THE EXACT same process of fasting is taking place in your body apart from a few minor differences.

BruceD likes this.
  6. rafsan045

rafsan045 Fapstronaut

THANKS FOR UR ADVICE ,
    I WILL TRY THEN

7. BruceD

BruceD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Keto diet is great, takes a lot of discipline for me to stay on it. I always seem to fall off but back at it.

8. Great! Fasting is super healthy. Intermittent fasting is great but the most deepest healing and detoxification happens during extended fast. Plus water fasting is a great way how to brake addictions. I just did 40 day water fast myself. It did got me rid of junk food addictions and helped nofap tremendously. I'm now on my 3rd week of re-feeding.
    Sure, you lose some muscle but nothing major. The less you move the less you lose. Ideally you would be 100% sedentary for minimum muscle loss and the most healing.

If you lift weights during extended water fast you lose the most muscle. This is because your body brakes it down but has no resources (food) to build it. If you are on ketogenic diet or short fasts (16 hours to 3 or 4 days) you should still be lifting weights to maintain muscle. Because your body will still have access to food and enough stored nutrition to repair damage properly. Assuming you are re-feeding with enough food after those 3 or 4 day fasts to not end up below maintenance at the end of a week.

Also the more fat you have less muscle you will lose. I lost no noticeable amount of muscle during my 40 days and I was below 10% body fat by the time I was done. Losing organ weight is even more ridiculous because that only happens when almost all of the muscles are gone (which they will not, unless the OP is already 5% body fat and is planning to do more than 40 days, which he is not) as the last resort for survival. The muscle loss is way too exaggerated and mainly happens because those people do put themselves in calorie deficit.
    If you can not afford to take 21 days long brake off from life you will most likely need to drink electrolytes during your fast. These are two types of salts: pink himalayan salt and potassium chloride supplement (sodium free salt - No Salt and Salt Free are good brands grocery store's salt section, or just order any potassium chloride supplement from Amazon or something). Otherwise you most likely feel extremely light headed and weak in the knees. Unless you sit or lie on couch all day this might be a problem. Supplementing with electrolytes in your water will prevent this.

Another important this is breaking the fast. There is such thing as re-feeding syndrome. Basically your body's digestive system shits down. And the longer you go without food more it shuts down. So breaking fast with too heavy food, or too much food at a time, can put you in a hospital or even kill you. This sounds way more dangerous than it actually is. Just make sure you do not ate, high fat foods, high protein foods or dry foods for first few days.

Start with very high water, easy digestible foods such as watermelon, steamed and blended zucchini/cauliflower or fruit juices. Start with small amount and up it over few days. Then after few days introduce more solid foods (still high water but slight more fiber) such as grapes, pears, tangerines, tomatoes, etc. Up the amount slowly over few days. Then introduce some easily digestible fat with high water content like avocados. And so on. Keep slowly increasing amount of food every day, decreasing water content of foods slowly every day, increasing protein content of foods and fat content of foods every day.

Doing this will most likely prevent re-feeding syndrome. After a week or two you should be back to your normal diet. As long as you do not do anything stupid (like breaking 21 day water fast with a pizza or a steak) you should be fine.
    This is not true. The differences are not minor, they are massive. If you are eating food you do not activate autophagy, which is where over 80% of the healing and detoxification benefits of the fast comes from.

Same goes for weight loss. Yes you do menage insulin better which leads to faster weight loss through ketogenic diet, but there is still calories consumed. So weight loss will not be as fast.

Ketogenic diet somewhat mimics fasting state, and due to that can also mimic some of the benefits. But it gives only fraction of massive results and benefits that fasting does.

rafsan045 likes this.