1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Torn between life goals

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SwedishViking, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Hello brothers!

I will give you a brief version and a relatively long version of this post. The brief version is the following: I have two life goals, one where the journey sucks but the destination probably is nice. And one where the journey is awesome and the destination probably is as well. Which path do I choose, any thoughts?

Now here is the longer version: I have the problematic situation of having two dreams. I have since long been set on becoming an astronomer. Space and science is something I am very interested in. Therefore I have not questioned whether it is the best option for me to become an astronomer til this day. Now I wonder if I really want to dive into on such a journey. They say the journey is better than the destination, and if that is the case. I am not sure If it would be worth it, because the journey so far seems to be hell. I will not go in depth of why that is.

On the other hand, I have another deep passion. Reading. And as a consequence, I have since childhood wanted to write a novel. I have been writing on and off and enjoyed doing it. I guess that's where the difference is. If I decided to write an epic fantasy series as I have always wanted to. I would enjoy the process. I know this since I like to watch online reading classes. I like to build worlds and plots. Getting better at grammar however... Meh, but it seems to be worth it. I would definitely love most of the process of becoming a successful author.

If there is anyone who has any wise thoughts about this, it would be deeply appreciated. I have been sitting down and thinking about this for a while now. Some perspective would be most welcome.

Gilgamex likes this.
  2. Gilgamex

Gilgamex Fapstronaut

I think you could do both. I am unsure of your age but undertaking astronomy takes a high degree of skill in schooling and math. If you are capable of becoming an astronomer I have no doubt that you could write a book. You would use some of your free time a couple times a week of writing and planning and failing and succeeding. Writing a good book can take years and if you become successful you can dedicate more time to writing books. You do not need to go to school to write an amazing book, but it could not hurt either. To write a book id plan out and envision on how you could go about writing a book over the course of a year or two. Spend a long time planning out and spider webbing your story until you think you can plot out and write some parts of the book. Ive never written much but I think that is how I would go about doing that.

SwedishViking likes this.
  3. Pick one to start with and go for it life is short do what you love

SwedishViking likes this.
  4. This is kind of what I have been thinking, to maybe do both things. However, I am unsure about astronomy, I want to get to the end goal but will the astronomer profession be as fun as I have imagined? Will the time I put into it be worth it? I have difficulties putting time into achieving this dream whereas with writing it is not difficult at all. It makes me wonder.

5. Gilgamex

Gilgamex Fapstronaut

I would look up what astronomers actually do. Its a lot of math, and graphing. Theory's, you are creating reports. It is not impossible, but it can be pretty difficult to get yourself a job at research teams on top of mountains with their massive telescopes. If that's all you want to do, see what it would take to get a spot up at those places.

6. Most of the authors never really make a lot of money, even if they get published. If you gonna choose a path as a novelist you will have very hard time making living, probably even if your work is world class. It's still hard to get recognized. So I think you better off focusing on a career that will land you a stable job and doing art on a side. If you get successful in art you can then switch focus and do that full time. But meanwhile you will need to pay bills. Plenty of starving, brilliant artists in the word. Having a backup plan is nice. So I also vote for doing both with a focus on astronomy.
    Depends how you define "fun"? Generally speaking it's a desk job sitting all day on computer analyzing graphs and doing a lot of math. Some people enjoy that stuff.