1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Things i've learned about meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I do meditation regularly for quite some time now and I want to share some tips for people who want to try meditation or are already doing it.

If you can breath, you can meditate.
    Meditation doesn't require a lot of time or special abilities. It's really beneficial and it won't take much of your time when you do it. You don't need a beautiful silent garden, a cushion, meditation apps or guided meditations.

Don't go into meditation with any expectation. Just let meditation be meditation.

Breath in slowly but deep, hold your breath for a little bit and push it out again slowly.

Focus on the effects of breathing, the energy that comes with it, the warm air when you breath in and the cold when you breath out. Focus on where the air goes and that you breath into your stomach.

If you get distracted easily it's helpful to keep the eyes closed while meditating. If you are the opposite and drift away easily with eyes closed, keep your eyes sligthly open while meditating. For some it can be helpful to face a wall while meditating.

There is a common misconception that meditation is about thinking nothing. That's false. You can't force yourself to think about nothing, the mind will always come up with something. If thoughts come up, realise that you're thinking and shift your focus back to your breathing. It's important to not follow your thoughts, if you focus on your breathing they will fade away. This will get easier with time and practice.

If you start to feel uncomfortable and it's hard to relax, stop the meditation. It's pointless to continue at this point because you will keep focusing on that. I use this method to know when I'm done meditating, I don't use any timers.

There are different ways to meditate. You can lay down, sit on a chair, sit on the ground with the legs crossed, full lotus, half lotus etc. Figure out what works for you. Keep in mind that laying down at night to meditate might result in sleep.

2. Feel free to share your own tips

3. Phineas Gage

Phineas Gage Fapstronaut

I'm a great believer in meditation, I have been using the Headspace app and I am quite a long way into it. If anything it hlps you clear your head and delve into your deepest thoughts while not being distracted away from them.

4. Nice to hear! I don't recommend using headspace but it can be helpful for those new to meditation

5. Harry Maclad

Harry Maclad Fapstronaut

True! It is also about being in the present!

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Meditation changed my life certainly. For new guys, just starting off, I would recommend brain sync and Kelly Howell's guided meditations.

Gekko

Phineas Gage and IntotheLight like this.