1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Self-Improvement - Detachment from the Self-Concept

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by shanmugam, May 20, 2017.

1. shanmugam

shanmugam Fapstronaut

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I just want to share my take on self-improvement, based on my own experience.

If you have learnt psychology, I think you may be familiar with Abraham Moslow's theory. He gave a model of self-improvement and said that the final goal of a person is self-actualization. Self-actualization is very close to the concept of self-realization which is the core of ancient mystic schools from various traditions.

When a person's physical, security, love and self-esteem needs are satisfied, the person naturally searches for a meaning for his life. Also, a person who is in-extreme suffering wants to get out of it and eventually starts to question the meaning of life. There is only one solution to these two problems. Detachment from a person's obsession over the self-concept. It is seeing the mind created illusion of 'individual self' for what it is..This gives an immense sense of freedom and peace. It is the 'individual illusionary self which wants to find a meaning, a purpose'. But in reality, there is no purpose for life. It is just a game. We can play it joyfully if we don't take it so seriously and personally.

My own story was a similar search to find out the meaning of life triggered my immense suffering that I went through. I can't post the link now since this is my first post.
    What are your thoughts about this? I welcome your comments..

2. Well I am a Buddhist so I am very much into enlightenment work. I think that's the most important type of self development there is. Some suffering was definitely involved for me to get till that conclusion. All tho I would not call it "immense". In fact, I think "suffering" is even too strong word, more like discomfort. Neither I could say that my physical, security, love and self-esteem needs were satisfied either. But I still I started to question life and search for the meaning. I think what mostly pushed me to do that was just natural curiosity.

shanmugam likes this.
  3. shanmugam

shanmugam Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing that Shugi Shugi.. May I know which county you are from? Have you met or know anybody who claim enlightenment?

4. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Very Interesting .

5. I'm from Latvia. No, never met anybody like that in person.

6. Mumm Ra

Mumm Ra Fapstronaut

As Free said, very interesting. I am currently reading Sam Harris' "Waking Up" and, whatever criticisms the people here may have for his strong atheist views, he also talks of the separation of the self. In understanding that the idea we each have of a self is an illusion, we can detach from the self, and see the world for what it really is, and not our interpretation of what we think it is.

I am not knowledgeable enough, and certainly not enlightened enough, to take a firm position on any of this. But it's an interesting concept that I plan on investigating further, and it doesn't seem too far off from what you mentioned.

shanmugam likes this.
  7. shanmugam

shanmugam Fapstronaut

Mumm Ra, Sam Harris book is an authentic source since it is based on science.. Many scientists are now interested in this thing... Especially in the last ten years, many research have been conducted on the brains of long term meditators and they have found that meditation rewires the brain. In my blog, I have a list of recommended books written by neuroscientists who show a lot of religious concepts in a scientific light.

8. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

Ever since I ditched the attachment to my identity / personality / story / ego / whatever you want to call it, and realized I am none of these labels, my life turned up-side-down for the greater! Never been happier in my existence!

My path is definitely spiritual (I don't care about whatever science has to say on it) but it's not fixed, but rather a mix of (Zen) Buddhism, Advaita Yoga and anything which promotes non-attachment, really. Once you let go of your attachment to mental constructs and specific outcomes of situations, you'll feel a remarkable sense of freedom. That's my experience, anyway.

shanmugam likes this.
  9. shanmugam

shanmugam Fapstronaut

10. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I think this is a bit of a dangerous idea. Buddhism often speaks of "non-attachment", but non-attachment doesn't mean detachment. Detachment more or less means "becoming attached to the idea of non-attachment", which is a form of attachment, too. That is the paradox: True non-attachment means letting go of the idea of non-attachment, too.

Regarding the "self" terminology I like the view of C.G. Jung who basically said that the I is the part of ourselves which we know (our conscious) and the self, which he believed to be a cosmic entity, consists of both our I and our unconscious. You might want to become non-attached to the I ("objectify" it), but identify with ("subjectify") the unknown, but transcendent subject.

This view is more compatible with the Hindu Advaita ("a-duality", as in "non-duality") philosophy as Buddhism denies the existence of a cosmic self (Atman), as far as I know.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this :( What you're saying here is pretty much the basic premise of existentialism. I think this state of mind is a symptom of our alienated society. If you lose all connection to the world and to nature, of course you'll end up thinking there is no purpose and it's just a game. Well, if it is a game, who created this game? Who made it up?

I'm all for questioning the meaning of life, and as such I welcome your thread (and welcome to you on this forum, too!). But don't fall for the easy answers! For how long have you been asking this sort of questions?

11. shanmugam

shanmugam Fapstronaut

@Headspace I didn't really think that there is such a subtle difference between the word 'detachment' and 'non-attachment'.. I actually meant the same thing.. It is just a choice of using which word is appropriate.. Yeah, if it sounds right, you can replace the word detachment with 'non-attachement'.

The Buddhist and Advaitic view is essentially the same; Only the terminology is different. I wrote a detailed article which is a synthesis of Buddhist and advaitic views here:https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.c...indfulness-bridging-science-and-spirituality/

I know that Buddhists and Advaitists were fighting with each others for centuries in India. But they were just fighting over the terminology... Whatever advaita calls as Illusory self (ahankara), is considered as 'non'existent' by Buddhists.. Advaita uses the word Brahman or your true-self for whatever that truly exists, and Buddhists, i think, use the word shunyata for that (or may be another word, not too sure)... In my experience, I don't see much conflict in both schools. People just use a different terminology for each schools which appear contradictory. I don't base the authority of what I am saying on scriptures but on my own experience of spiritual awakening.So,my words may also appear as a doctrine different than what advaita or Buddhism says, but actually it is not.

It is important not to get stuck at the level of words...These teachings should only be used as a model in working towards one's growth. If one doesn't feel that the buddhist terminology is not comfortable or as something that doesn't click with them, they can choose to see in advaitic way.. That is why it is said that words are only finger pointing to the moon;Tao that can be said is not true Tao... Words are only pointers.

Looking life as a game also exist in vedantic tradition. It is called leela, the play of divine... Looking life as a means to an end is actually a barrier. You can have a mission or task in your life, which is different.. A mission is just like a direction in which one keeps going until his death. For example, contributing to bridging science and religion is my mission. But I won't call it as a goal or a purpose for life.. A purpose or meaning is something that has to do with ego; treating life as a means to end only strengthens the identification with ego, doesn't render non-attachment from it..