The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by PMS, May 30, 2019.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
    PMS and Jackb97 like this.
  2. My top albums:

Ember - Breaking Benjamin: A popular band from my home state of Pennsylvania. By far their heaviest and catchiest album. Every song is a masterpiece

Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park: You can't talk about Linkin Park without bringing up this album. I've listened to it since it came out and it's still amazing.

One Fierce Beer Coaster - Bloodhound Gang: A more local band and even though each of their album covers could cause a relapse, this is my favorite album by them.

Songs For The Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age: I never grew tired of this album even after 15 years of its release.

The Marshall Mathers LP 2 - Eminem: What I believe to be a serious comeback album.

Signs of Life - Poets of the Fall: A band from Finland who are unknown in the States. It's hard to pick my favorite as they're all amazing.

PMS likes this.
  3. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

4. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I just stated in the post that DAMN is indeed a good album. But good doesn't get close to TPAB, and I would say that most die-hard kendrick fans would agree. GKMC is also a lot better than DAMN. It's just so uneven. Some songs are genius, some songs are just nothing like the level he was on previously. Those are all great albums. Enter the wu, ready to die and illmatic are all on my list. But just looking at the musical side of it, the experimentation in production, with all the crazy funk and jazz that's on TPAB, I think it takes the cake. Illmatic outshines it a bit just because of the poetry.
    Interesting. I'll check it out.
    Agreed.
    Breaking Benjamin and Linkin Park are really not my thing. It's just too much cheese for me. Bloodhound Gang I've never heard about. Marshall Mathers is a great record. QOTSA is classic.
    Ohh. What is this tasty nugget. I've head this name before "Death Grips" but I've got no idea what kind of music it is. Care to enlighten?

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

@wethebest And yeah you need to listen to Madvillainy. Madlib and DOOM are a match made in heaven, or hell, or wherever.

6. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Experimental hip hop I guess. They have an actual drummer which is cool too. What ever it is it's hardcore. All about paranoia. This album "exmilitary" has some cool samples too from pink floyed to black flag to david bowie and many more including a charles manson interview lol edgy. I almost had a heart attack listening this group walking home from my friends in the dark after smoking a little too much of the devlis lettuce. And for that it has a special place in my heart.

PMS likes this.
  7. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

So... On to the next one. This is a really strong album. The best one I've listened to so far from this thread. Although the other two were nothing to sneeze at. I want to say that it's better than Aja but it was such a long time since I listened to that record so I would have to give it another shot before making a determination. But. I do maintain that I believe it would have more of an emotional impact if it was less over-produced, though I do understand what @Max Fisher was saying about Steely Dan "doing it right". The album sounds a lot like a mix of Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder, but much more jammy than both. Kid Charlemagne is a real hit. The songs with a little more grove in them, like the fOnk on this one, serves the record well and cancels out a bit of that over-produced "esteem" that they have going on. The two following songs are also brilliant, Caves of Altamira and Don't Take Me Alive. And the album remains incredibly consistent all the way through. The mouth-guitar on Haitian Divorce is really cool. Lots of different sounds on this. Brilliant musicianship all the way through. Opened my eyes to these guys I have to say.
    Well I'm def giving them a shot for sure. I used to partake in the devils lettuce quite obsessively before, and his flour, and his sugar.

Deleted Account and Jackb97 like this.
  8. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Yeah, these guys are just awesome. The guitar solo on Kid Charlemagne and solos on Don't take me alive are by Larry Carlton. His contribution on the opening track is regarded as an outstanding performance in contemporary music. See this explanation for details... Start at 07:29 if you just want to hear about the Larry Carlton guitar solos.

^The sound quality isn't so good on this, but he focuses on Larry Carlton's guitar solos.

The use of the talk-box on Haitian Divorce is so good! It is played by Dean Parks, who played on Innervisions btw. Oh yeah, and Rick Beato agrees with you and I that The Royal Scam is a better record than Aja. Yes, Aja is ultra smoth or as you would say, overproduced. To my ears, This album is just perfect. I also like the songs better. Sheer genius to me. 'Nuff said.

Deleted Account and PMS like this.
  9. OMG, a BB fan here! :) This day is getting better and better!

PMS likes this.
  10. Strength And Light

Strength And Light Fapstronaut

That trinity makes sense to me, although for whatever reason I personally don't think of those bands as sad. I'm a little older than you, so when I think indie rock I think of Dinosaur Jr and Sonic Youth and then probably BTS and Modest Mouse. I guess I mean indie rock as in the spirit of the music, not in any reference to record label status.

Odgens Nut Gone Flake is so good. Whenever I think of it, I immediately think of this.

It's not that I dislike the songs on Marquee Moon, it's that I don't necessarily love them. At your request I went back and gave it another listen. See No Evil is like Talking Heads covering the Rolling Stones. I have no problems with it, it just doesn't hit me on a cellular level for whatever reason. For a BTS album recommendation, for the average Joe I'd suggest Keep It Like A Secret because it's the more polished and catchy one. But for you, since I know you have the pallet, I'll suggest Perfect From Now One. It's a little more vast and experimental, sort of like a director's cut.

11. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

All the musicians on the album are so impressive that it all just melds together for me. Nice video, really highlights a great performance. It seems like kind of a guitar tutorial :)
    Yes the talk-box is very well used. I knew there was something very innervisionsy about this album, I had a feeling. Yes that is the same feeling I get. This hits a good level in the production while Aja really filled my cheese-meter. Agreed. Very good record.
    So the question is. Lonesome Crowded West or Moon And Antarctica? I'm on Crowded West all day.
    I can't watch the video as I have blocked YouTube for disciplinary purposes. But yes, it is indeed a great record. Truly one-of-a-kind.
    Alright I'll go Perfect From Now On. It seems that Marquee Moon just doesn't connect with you yet. It happens. I have the same problem with Radiohead.
    I'm doing this next. If anyone wants to join in on this listening project I would not mind. I tried to listen to the Pantera album and it is just not something that I'm going to manage to get through atm. So if anyone wants to have a crack at that one, go ahead.

12. I'm a big Sonic Youth fan. I agree they pioneered the indie sound to a large extent. Indie rock with out Pavement is blasphemy! But we talked about this and I'm willing to concede you are wrong in your opinion.

On our second ever mutual friend outing with my wife before we started dating we went to an abandoned house in the neighborhood and and picked through a bunch or stuff the previous tenants left hanging around. We broke stuff and laughed and had a good time. Amongst the junk was a cassette copy of Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind...I'll always remember that album as that outing. :)

Strength And Light and PMS like this.
  13. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

That's quite the anecdote. I haven't listened to Dinosaur Jr, yet. I came close once. Should probably get on with it.

14. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

As I have gotten so many recommendations I'm going to take the liberty of recommending myself. The best album to come out of Brazil:
    Acabou Chorare by Novos Baianos (1972)
    [​IMG]

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. Love that song, but my top favorite is The Dark of You

Symbol of Peace likes this.
  16. Strength And Light

Strength And Light Fapstronaut

Funny because I was actually thinking about this last week. Lonesome is one of my favorite albums ever. Like ever ever. But man, Moon And Antarctica is really fucking brilliant too. It’s easy to dismiss it because it reached a much bigger audience, so it doesn’t seem as much of a secret hidden gem, but there are some seriously amazing songs on that album. How about we spilt the difference between the two albums and go with the song Night On The Sun? It’s kind of a Lonesome/Moon hybrid.

PMS likes this.
  17. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I have never heard that song. What album is it on? Personally I think TLCW is def the better of the two. But the opening three tracks on Antarctica are strong af.

18. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

Now this one is also really good. The opening song is a real burst of energy that fits the subject-matter really well. You really feel like you can get up and do whatever the fuck you want, right now. The ending of the song is such a heavy groove, just lovely. Through the album, the bass-playing is really pronounced, great sound with the picked style. S&M serves the album well as a change of pace with it's funky guitar but pales a bit in comparison to the rest of the songs. The best song on the album has got to be the last one. The introduction of a little Irish folk with the guitars is HUGE, really gives the song that fantastical feel. Generally I feel that the album could have used more songs like the last one. When you get to about "Get Out Of Here", it starts repeating itself as that song is quite similar to the first. The display of creative bravery in the last song would have helped the middle of the album a lot.

Best songs: Do Anything You Want, Got To Give It Up, Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) A Rock Legend.

Rating: 3.5/5

19. [​IMG]
    The Speakers - En El Maravilloso Mundo de Ingesón (1968)

[​IMG]
    Génesis - Yakta Mama (1975) -- I would include every album from this band if it was for me

[​IMG]
    Los Streaks - Operación A Go-Go (1967)

[​IMG]
    Los Yetis - 40 éxitos del Festival de Ancón

[​IMG]
    Ana y Jaime - Es Largo El Camino (1968)

[​IMG]
    Humberto Monroy - Sol y Luna (1975)

[​IMG]
    Sociedad Anónima - El Álbum De Menor Venta En La Historia Del Disco (1989)

[​IMG]
    Traphico - Traphico (1980)

[​IMG]
    Ladies WC - Ladies WC (1969)

All of these are from Colombia, except the last that is from Venezuela and is a pretty good Psychedelic Rock album.

PMS and Deleted Account like this.