The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by PMS, May 30, 2019.

1. Tyght! I held off from Weezer for a long time despite people telling me I should listen, so I can relate. Then you give it an honest try and are sad you didn't own them earlier.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I've always heard that the Blue Album and Pinkerton is like "the good Weezer" and that the rest is pretty forgettable. What's your take on that? But I also have not gotten into them yet.
    So I finished listening to the album. It's on the whole very enjoyable. Classic face-melting shred-metal. They really have a knack for great riffs on this. Electric Eye, Riding on the Wind and You've Got Another Thing Coming (Which I still know all the words to since it was on Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 back in the day) are highlights. My other take-away form this is that I have a hard time to relate to the lyrics. There is so much drama. Like "Screaming For Vengeance!", who really does that in real life? You plot revenge yes. But screaming for vengeance seems like something Mel Gibson does in Braveheart. I realize that it's probably a metaphor.

Good record. Been a long time since I've listened to some good metal.

3. Strength And Light

Strength And Light Fapstronaut

A very respectable Top 100 list. Not exactly what mine would be, but I wouldn't expect that as everyone has different criteria and perspectives, plus the ocean of music out there is vast.

Just to keep the conversation rolling, I'll say I'd nix the Television album altogether since outside of Marquee Moon (the song - a very, very good one at that) I can't find any other gems. Instead I'd sub in a Built To Spill album. Probably either "Perfect From Now On" or "Keep It Like A Secret".

I thought including Kamasi Washington was a nice touch.

4. Stitch 626

Stitch 626 Fapstronaut

I'd say they're heavier and faster than Accept, but the facemelt is certain. The only thing I'd change about that album os switching position of tracks #1 and #2. Start with "A New Level", then "Mouth For War", then the rest.

llortaton and PMS like this.
  5. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

I'm not even going to start on how much you need to listen to Marquee Moon again. Every song on that album is an absolute classic. But as you say, we're all different. You don't even like See No Evil? Damn Built To Spill, I'm checking them now and it seems like something that has completely flown under my radar. Huge rec mate, thanks a lot. Kamasi was included because he and his epic band are legends. I'll definitely get back to you on Built To Spill. If you would chose one of the albums I will listen to that one.
    I wasn't actually aware that Balls To The Wall was a song by Accept. Just meant facemelt in general :D But now that I think of it I remember that song.
    I'll listen to the album and let you know my friend.

6. llortaton

llortaton Fapstronaut

My Journal

Good song! It a classic!

Jackb97 likes this.
  7. True. There aren't any albums I would wholeheartedly recommend in their entirety, but they still make some great songs. And the whole concept of an animated band is pretty neat.

Ah, I wouldn't dare to say it was, they are both great albums. In fact if I hadn't recommended Untitled I would have recommended Ágætis Byrjun. Would highly recommend getting into them, they are well worth the effort. They have a distinct ethereal, haunting, sighing sound that's just unforgettable.

In Search of the Lost Chord is a concept album as well, around the theme of searching and discovery. It was their first album, I believe, to include their choral work, which is one of their signatures and what I primarily love about them.
    Unfamiliar to me. A 60s band? I might have to check them out!
    No haha, that's not the Moody Blues. They do do spoken word interludes, but its understandable, usually poetic introductions to the following song.
    Benevento/Russo Duo is an alt rock band from the noughts (2000s). Keyboard and drums. They play in weird time signatures. Lots of overdriven keyboard riffs, strange noise effects, and a ton of very technical drumming. Not very well known, though they did tour with Phish once. Play Pause Stop is probably their best known song.

Mum is an Icelandic experimental band in a similar vein as Sigur Ros. They have their own distinct sound though. More playful than Sigur Ros, who can get very serious with their music. Here's an example:

Lucky Dube was a South African reggae artist. Incredibly talented, he's got a voice range like Freddy Mercury. Sings about typical reggae stuff: love, peace, racial justice. He was doing this during apartheid however, his albums were banned by the government. The only Reggae artist I've gotten into besides Bob. Also he's the only reggae artist I know of who didn't partake in the herb :p

Mutemath was an alt rock band from New Orleans who was active during the noughts (maybe still active, but I haven't followed them). They use a lot of vintage instrumentation and draw a lot of their style from the 60s and 70s. A tad religious in a tasteful way, if that's not an issue, definitely would recommend giving them a listen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
    Deleted Account and PMS like this.
  8. Also, two more recs! If you like Godspeed You Black Emporer! you will probably also like Explosions in the Sky. Check out All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone.

Also, Sufian Steven's Illinois. A concept album about different places in the US state of Illinois. Hard to make a concept album on a theme like that, but he pulled it off. This is the best known song from that album:

9. Wow man that is so awesome that you actually listened to it all and gave your own review. Amazing. You are one of a kind sir. Respect.

PMS likes this.
  10. That's about right.

PMS likes this.
  11. The indie rock Holy Trinity for me is Built to Spill, Pavement and Sebadoh. In heaven they would headline a festival for sad jams.

PMS and Strength And Light like this.
  12. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I don't like them, lol. :D

13. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Well he lives just a few miles from me in the same city. I was parked outside of said residence (enjoying an ice cream), he came out of his house and virtually brushed past me with his towel and onto the beach! :eek: It was kind of surreal tbh. This is the picture I took that day.
    upload_2019-5-31_19-51-31.png

PMS and Deleted Account like this.
  14. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

8)
    Yeah the animations are awesome. I really wish that Gorillaz was more even. Their sound is just awesome, the mix of genres and their best songs are top-notch. Also I really like Damon Albarn. Blur is great. Stand-up guy.
    Yeah, been looking forward to it for a while. So which one would you chose if I was to listen to them for the first time?
    Sounds good. I'll give it a listen.
    Small faces was rivaling The Who in Britain during The Who's early days. Not that they sound anything like The Who. Odgens Nut Gone Flake is their magnum opus but it wasn't received well upon release because of what I assume is it's weirdness and instrumental stuff. It was a reaction to Sgt. Pepper, like The Zombies' "Odyssey And Oracle". Small Faces would eventually become just "Faces" together with Rod Stewart. But small faces isn't anything like Rod Stewart, guaranteed. Great band, definitely recommend them.
    Yeah the spoken word stuff is why it reminded me so much of the Small Faces record.
    Interesting sound on this. Thanks for the rec.
    Sounds really interesting. Are you Icelandic by any chance? Or you just into Icelandic music?
    Wow, nice voice on this guy. I'll look into it. It seems that the best reggae records are the compilations? At least that's the case with Bob.
    Religious or not doesn't really bother me.
    Sufjan Stevens as been the rave for some time in my circles. Was thinking about him lately but decided to listen to Fatboy Slim instead. I'll take a look at this. This Explosions in the Sky I haven't heard of. But if it's anything like Godspeed it's one hell of a rec.

Great posts friendo!
    It was my pleasure my friend. Thanks for the recommendation. Kind of opened my eye to metal a bit. Need to cover all my musical bases you know :)
    Have never heard of Sebadoh. Are they super depressing?
    Wow that is freaking amazing. The most famous person I've ever seen on a street is Swedish Eurovision contestant Danny Saucedo. Nice house he got there. Unsurprisingly.
    I'm going to listen to this one next. Probably post on it tomorrow.

15. Nah, not too bad. :)

PMS likes this.
  16. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

Can you think of any records that are just too sad to listen to? In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is really sad but it is so in a hauntingly beautiful kind of way. Dylan's Blood On The Tracks is much the same, tragically beautiful.

17. The saddest album I listened to in a while was David Bazan's Curse Your Branches. He use to be a big Christian and made music as Pedro the Lion (even that was pretty sad). Then he lost his faith and Curse Your Branches was the album where he deals with that. I found it depressing, but not every song is a bummer.

PMS likes this.
  18. PMS

PMS Fapstronaut

Sometimes I find it hard to listen to Bowie's Blackstar, just because it's so god damn sad that he's gone. The genius. What a way to go out that album is though. To completely reinvent yourself just as you're dying, to let your final effort be the most brave. Now that takes balls. Or just an "I don't give a shit" attitude.

19. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Oh right. Twice I met Gary Moore [RIP] - the lead guitarist on the Thin Lizzy album Black Rose I recommended. He also lived in my city. He is buried here, too.

llortaton and Deleted Account like this.
  20. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

I always chromecast this at parties :emoji_ok_hand: