1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gillette ad that people are rightly pissed about.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ra's Al Ghul, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

as I said to castielle, I was stating a fact not making a judgement.

Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  2. I see. So what is your judgement then? Do you think that's a good thing, or something we should try to lessen because we are a civilized people, not animals? Because I dont really see the point in simply stating an observation about how males will act if left alone for too long. I'm also not sure I even agree with that statement. Where are you getting your evidence for that?

3. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Boys will be boys. Men will be Men.
    Absolutely. I just yawn now and stick up my middle finger. Dont wanna hear the sjw war on males crap.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Hahaha yeah. They wont be happy until every man becomes an effete soyboy with no balls. Way easier to control when these pathetic fucks are constantly apologizing for themselves for everything. Lol smh

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. How is encouraging men to better themsleves, for their own benefit, a war on males? If they really wanted to destroy men, they wouldn't bother telling them all this stuff. Let them continue in their harmful ways and be their own demise.

You say you're a Christian, so you must be familiar with the idea that God reprimands those he loves, because He isnt just going to let you sit around sinning all the time without calling it out. Because it's for your own benefit, so you can see the error of your ways and improve and have a better life. That's the same thing that's happening here. And if you have enough humility to admit that some of these things are actually problems -- not even necessarily problems for you, but problems for other men -- then maybe you could actually make a difference and make life better for the poor boys who grow up being taught such harmful things about themselves, that they're just a bundle of hormones and can't control themsleves, and that they shouldnt have feelings or they're weak. "Toxic masculinity," if that's what we want to call these things, is setting these boys up for failure and for a much tougher life than is necessary.

6. To be clear, that last message isnt really for you, Ra's. Clearly you dont have any interest in listening to other people's opinions or questioning your own in any way. But maybe it will ring true with someone else reading this.

7. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Youre being too logical and rational for people who can't see through the propaganda. As Mark Twain said, its easier to fool people than convince people they have been fooled.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  8. brilliantidiot

There is no single judgment to make. Are you asking me about war or a single fist fight? I'll assume the ladder, and I don't think its the end of the world (I don't think its a good thing per say either). I don't think we should focus too much on reducing a little street fighting, there are bigger issues that could use more attention. A lot of this whole thing comes out of overreacting to anything that could possibly be taken to threaten traditional masculinity, because masculinity is being attacked by liberals and there is naturally a rebound.

Defining masculinity is important and relevant. Here is a good definition:
    "Fierce in battle which he does not seek". I don't think men should try, for the sake of being masculine, to swagger around the streets harassing girls and fighting each other. But I also do not want men to be "feminized" by the gender equality movement.

9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Definitely, I agree. There are those who inject the same poison the radical feminist movement did. There are people who legitimately hate men, and as time goes by, it’s becoming a more accepted belief.

But I also do think people are overreacting to “sexual assault is bad”, which, to me, plays into the radical feminist agenda, which was why I stated about the feminist talking point earlier. Sexual assault and sexual harassment ARE bad, and men are better than that. It’s not a war on masculinity to admit that.

Yes. Men should be men, but that shouldn’t be an excuse to brush off or even condone violence or sexual assault. That thinking just shows that men are uncontrollable and cannot think for themselves, which is far from the truth.

To me, masculinity isn’t inherently good or inherently bad. It’s a powerful tool that CAN be used for either good or bad, like a hammer or a gun can, which is why I reject the “toxic masculinity” crap. Masculinity, when used for good, is why we enjoy the freedoms we do.

10. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

So when the message is supposedly "sexual assault is bad" well no shit! Is there something profound about the ad that I may be missing?

"Become better men", well no shit! self improvement is good for everyone not just men.

No, this ad just like that American Psychological association article is just more propaganda to attack traditional masculinity.

11. Arent you kind of the one who isnt seeing through the propaganda? You're so focused on "ew, gross, feminism, yuck" that you cant even listen to the message being presented to you. Ideintiy politics at its finest.

Well I dont think anyone is acting like it's the end of the world. They're just saying hey, maybe y'all should work on this a bit.

We are in agreement on that. This ad is trying to accomplish the former, which you seem to agree with, so I dont see what the issue is. The post you quoted said several things in its definition of masculinity that "toxic masculinity" would disagree with. I.e., that men can cry, that men can be afraid, that men are gentlemanly and dont seek out violence. Those are all qualities that are threatened by "toxic masculinity."

Yes, exactly. I think both sides can be far too close minded. The conservative side gets so caught up in not wanting to demonize men that they start to defend actual problems and act like men are perfect just as they are and have nothing they need to improve on. Its ridiculous. This is why I hate people identifying do strongly with a certain political ideology, because they lose their minds and can no longer even listen to reasonable points from the opposite side. I mean if liberals told some of these guys the sky is blue, they would probably start shrieking that its green.

Amen, well said.

12. brilliantidiot

This is kind of what I was trying to communicate.

13. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I'm not saying ew gross feminism at all as most rational people already recognize that modern feminism is a joke. Charlie Kirk already debunked this.

14. Well that we can agree on, and I think the ad expresses that as well. When people say they want to get rid of "toxic masculinity" they arent saying they want to get rid of "masculinity." Just the parts that are damaging.

In the same way, we could say there are aspects of "toxic femininity." There are a lot of good things about femininity, and there are also some damaging ones, like being a doormat, not being assertive enough, not standing up for yourself, etc. Its not an affront to all of femininity to admit that some aspects of it arent so great.

Christian Fox likes this.
  15. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I take issue with the fact that the ad is conveying the message that a man pursuing a woman is on the same parallel as sexual assault.

They want to turn modern women all into man hating Art Hoes and unfortunately they are succeeding.

16. They didnt say that at all. First of all, it was more than just him approaching her, but the way he was approaching her. And secondly, it would be harassment at most, not assault.

17. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Okay, harassers; the perception is no better. Message=men are no good dirtbags.

18. brilliantidiot

That is where I think you are wrong (well, it depends on who is saying it). The feminist culture would love to eliminate all masculinity. They hate the fact that there is a physically dominant sex. I believe the term "toxic masculinity" is pretty much a scapegoat to attack all masculinity. Why not just call it "rape" or "harassment" or "abuse"? Instead they dump it on men.

19. K, I'm done talking to you. I've already explained several times, very clearly, how that isnt the case, but you have turned your ears off a long time ago.

CTRL + DEL and MLMVSS like this.
  20. It does depend on who is saying it, yes. But we are talking initially about this ad, which doesnt seem to be attacking other positive aspects of masculinity. Just the negative ones.

Because these things are predominantly male issues and effect young men far more than young women. We dont teach young women to stifle their feelings and man up, or to establish dominance by settling problems with their fists, or that its okay to make sexually suggestive remarks to men on the street. Sure, some women do those things, but it's just not something women are taught all throughout their growing up like young men are. It honestly doesn't have to be offensive unless you take it that way. There are plenty of men who have no problem recognizing that this is predominantly a male problem. It just takes some humility to accept that there are some problems in the world that are predominantly male, just as there are some problems in the world that are predominantly female. It's just the truth.

Jennica, Gotham Outlaw and MLMVSS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.