1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gifts We Receive From (all) Religion

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Nightbynight

Nightbynight Fapstronaut

Pleasantries to my fellow believers and non believers alike, I hope you are all streaking well right now.
    There have been quite a few threads on god lately with a few made by myself.
    As can be expected the debates that revolve around religion can become quite tense and in the end we spend so much time arguing semantics that we forget the majority of us have the same core goal, a happier life in a better world.
    As such I think it would be nice for each of us to post something we like about religion no matter which faith it's from, bonus points if the faith you mention is not yours. Is there a practice you admire? A quote of a text you find beautiful? Just name something positive you like about a faith.

Me personally I think the Greeting, "Asalamu alaikum" and the consequential reply "Asalamu alaikum wa rehmatullah wa barakatu" to be a rather beautiful way to greet someone. It translates as "Gods peace, mercy and blessings be apon you."

2. Your name is an awesome Steely Dan song. One of my favorites.

Nightbynight likes this.
  3. Nightbynight

Nightbynight Fapstronaut

Pfff yes. but its my name now and... Well, I don't really care.... if it's wrong... or if it's right But until my ship comes in, ILL LIVE NIGHT BY NIGHT!!!

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Oh hell yeah!

Nightbynight likes this.
  5. FGHTFRLF

FGHTFRLF Fapstronaut

What I do like about my faith (Islam) is Ramadan. It helped me a lot in terms of dieting and mood. However, what I liked most about it was at how everyone around me had changed, as well as me. All fights seemed to just disappear, and everyone just wanted to help one another. I know it’s just fasting, but sometimes you have to do less to see more.

6. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

As an agnostic, the faith I admire most is Judaism. They do not seek others to change their point of view, they do not accept people into their religion. If you want to be a member of Judaism you have to prove that you belong. You have to show dedication to change your life and you have to study and be thoroughly tested to ensure you actually understand the Bible and it's teachings.

Nightbynight likes this.
  7. They do.

8. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

What I should have said was, they don't proselytise.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  9. You might be right. The podcast Unorthodox did an interesting show on people who converted to Judaism. It should be said there are three different types of Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed), and each has it's own way of looking at things. I do like the way Judaism looks at the Bible compared to Christians and they seem to be able to handle different opinions better than Christians.