1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The cure to loneliness

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Kman20, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Ever feel empty or even more lonely after talking to someone? Ever just think “god I’m lonely I just need someone to talk to”? Then after talking to someone you actually don’t feel any less lonely? I believe this is because of howww we interact with people. The interactions themselves aren’t enough to quell our loneliness. It’s how we do it that really matters.

What I’m talking about is that we need to be vulnerable in our interactions. That is the only way we can feel close to someone, through vulnerability. I feel like the word vulnerable is synonymous with real. Now I’m not saying to spill our life stories and deepest insecurities with someone from the get go. But gradually work towards that. Think about it, you won’t feel lonely with someone who knows you entirely inside out and you’ll get to the point where you could just sit in silence with that person for hours and it’d just feel nice. No ones guard is up. You’re just two human beings enjoying each other’s company and there’s no mystery or doubt with each other because you’ve both been vulnerable with each other. You can say whatevers on your mind to this person and just completely be yourself. It’s connection.

For examples I think to start out would be to talk slightly about yourself and “from yourself”. What I mean by that is to speak truly what you feel in your conversations. Don’t be rude though. What I mean is to say something that truly comes from you now and then that could be controversial or has potential for rejection. And anything that comes from the real you has potential for rejections. That’s why I believe it’s so hard for people to be themselves (and why social media with all it’s fakeness only adds to our loneliness, this is why I believe it makes sense now that we’re more lonely than ever because through social media everyone is becoming less and less real). I mean ANY kind of rejection, a joke that could not be seen as funny, you’re opinion on something that could get you laughed at. We’re all unique and interesting people it’s just that some of us are too afraid to show ourselves because of the fear of rejection.

I ramble on in my posts so I kind of forgot the main idea of what warranted me to write this. But whoever knows what I’m talking about and has read the book Models by Mark Manson can probably see the influence. Read it if you haven’t. It’s the best book on dating there is and ever will be.The point is we all need to be vulnerable and honest with each other. If you feel a certain way about something express it, it’s not weak to say “hey I feel pretty insecure about this” or “I strongly believe that is wrong” you’re a god damn human and we need to show that. And showing that makes it easy for other people to show themselves as well. This is what’s called a “connection”.

It’s important to not be judgemental when someone opens up to you though because this will actually have the opposite affect in forming closeness. Treat someone how you would want to be treated if you were showing your real self with someone. It’s scary. And hard. So be nurturing. And accepting. Then we can truly connect with one another. Just one person is enough to quell our loneliness because the quality of that connection will beat out the shallow 100s of connections where you just talk about the weather. Good luck everyone. I hope you take this advice and maybe even add to it.

Buddhabro, P-Free, koolpal and 5 others like this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Point out the elephant in the room. Point out how you feel. Your desires. What you're really thinking. Do the things you really want to do and say the things you really want to say. Without a need for a specific outcome. Just for the simple joy of living and stating your truth.

Too often we hide expressing the truth and our honest self expression out of fear, but a lot of the time it's also a missed opportunity to express something that someone would actually appreciate.

Some people will like your bold and daring honesty. Some won't. Either way, it's your choice to share that with others. Life's too short to hide yourself from others.

P-Free, vxlccm, koolpal and 2 others like this.
  3. HansFarhan

HansFarhan Fapstronaut

I’ll take this advice. Thank you so much brother. Quality over quantity is all over you meant

P-Free and Kman20 like this.
  4. AUTiger7222

AUTiger7222 Fapstronaut

Completely agree with you @Kman20. You nailed it. I actually open up too quickly and it's led to me getting hurt. I need to better control the pace at which I open up so I don't come on too strong and scare her off.

P-Free and Kman20 like this.
  5. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Yes watch how you be vulnerable. You might not want to tell someone you just met you have severe depression. You have to look at how you would react if you were listening to yourself. Its off putting. I hope more people will see this thread.

P-Free, horny nerd and AUTiger7222 like this.
  6. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Decent point there @Kman20 but I like the basic concept of @elevate's which is honesty and aren't we always telling people coping with negative thoughts to reach out?

I think there's different levels of connection. Smiling at someone on the random at the store will get you a certain kind of connection. But, heart-to-heart takes more investment in a relationship. It's atwo-way street, so worry first about what you bring to the table and make it meaningful to others. Maybe they like going to a game or walking in the park or grabbing a soda. Friendships can be very fulfilling.

Don't need to overburden any one person, either. Make several friends in turns or seasons and do what happens naturally. Participating in social life sure does beat virtual media non-life!

P-Free, koolpal, Kman20 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kman20

Kman20 Fapstronaut

Hmm I kind of agree with this. The people I’m addressing however are the ones that make no commitment to get close to people and complain about being lonely. They have to show themselves in order to get close.

And we are telling people with negative thoughts to reach out. But they should be to the right people. The ones they’re close to or therapists to really feel heard. Granted some people who are strangers to you will still connect with these people but from what I’ve seen especially online everyone is just very lonely and are looking for some quick fix.

P-Free and vxlccm like this.
  8. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Ah, interesting.

Quick is the enemy of sincerity.

Good vibes, man. Thanks for your time :)

P-Free likes this.
  9. horny nerd

horny nerd Fapstronaut

Thanks so much Kman. This is just what I needed. Now I know why I feel so lonely even with some friends.

Kman20 and P-Free like this.
  10. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

This thread is GOLD. Thank you so much, @Kman20!

Kman20 and horny nerd like this.