1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The COMPREHENSIVE Reboot (it's more than just not touching yourself)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by dointhisforfun, Jun 26, 2019.

1. dointhisforfun

dointhisforfun Fapstronaut

The COMPREHENSIVE Reboot-What Helped Me
    [​IMG]
    We're here because we think (no, we know) that PMO is a terrible medium. There's no question that PMO addiction has the potential to destroy marriages, relationships, and lives. At the very least, it keeps us from achieving our full potential as human beings. People talk about how PMO keeps them insecure, lethargic, and unable to reach out of their comfort zones. It's odd that one thing, PMO, can have such a far-reaching impact on our lives.

What if I told you, though, that it's not just PMO? I'm sure that some of us are already aware of this, but it's worth mentioning, especially as we all devote so much time to eradicating this one habit. There's no pot of gold at the end of day 90, and you shouldn't expect one. Not if you aren't eating healthy, getting a good amount of sleep, and exercising regularly. This post is just a reminder that if you want your life to be comprehensively better, you need to make comprehensive changes (that is to say, focusing your efforts on NoFap AND walking 10,000 steps each day will be better for you than just focusing your efforts on NoFap). The more widespread the changes you make are, the more widespread your results will be.

NoFap is a great community, and it's what's gotten me through multiple 90-day runs, 100-day runs, and beyond, but sometimes I feel like it misses this necessary component of our journey. We call this a reboot, right? Let's reboot the whole computer, not just the caps lock button.

Some people very close to me told me the same thing I'm telling you now back when I was a sophomore in high school (two years ago). In that time, I went from relapsing almost weekly to really being able to say that PMO isn't a part of my life anymore. My progress has been immense since implementing this mindset. The reason for this acceleration in progress is that it's a lot harder to not masturbate when you're just sitting in your room than it is to abstain when you're jogging, reconnecting with old friends, or learning to cook a new meal (which doesn't consist of Doritos).

I personally took up distance running as my first project to work on along with nofap, mainly because you can chart gradual development. With nofap, charts tend to look like "relapsed, didn't relapse, didn't relapse, didn't relapse, relapsed, didn't relapse," so it can be hard to gauge progress over time. With distance running, though, you can see how much faster you get every single day. But you can do that with plenty of things. If you're trying to straighten out your diet, you can track the number of calories you're taking in each day with plenty of different apps. You can talk to strangers more and more each day to push yourself out of your comfort zone, etc.

So my charge to all of you is to pick one other thing in your life that you want to work on ALONG WITH nofap. Don't overload yourself, because you might burnout and be no better off for it, but try one additional habit that you'd like to build. This will drastically increase your chances of success. And if you slip up, treat it like you would a relapse here. Feel bad for a little bit, figure out what went wrong, and get back up. You're fighting to reclaim your life here, so don't give up.

Another thing that REALLY helps is an accountability partner, someone or some people close to you who can keep you from slacking when you want to. Gym partners are great, friends with similar goals in any department will help tremendously. If you don't know anyone in real life who you'd trust with this, there are accountability groups online that can get you in touch with people who have similar goals. I helped start a discord server for people who could be benefitted by an accountability group. We have members from plenty of different backgrounds, religions, and countries, all with the similar goal of self-development. I don't wanna explicitly promo here because it's not the point of this post, but dm me if you want an invite link. You can complete this task with or without it.

So, pick one thing that you want to get better at. Take out a piece of paper and chart out the next fifteen days. Draw two boxes for each day, one for nofap and one for the new thing that you're doing. Log your progress in each department every day. Write notes on how you can improve your approach if you fail on a given day. I'd suggest posting this paper on your bedroom wall or something, but not everyone likes to have a "days I didn't relapse" calendar on their wall (and tbh that's perfectly reasonable). Fold the paper and put it in your pocket, right next to your phone, so you feel it every time you reach for your phone.