Suggest your best 3 books.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Win_for_life, Apr 15, 2018.

1. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut

1. Revolt against the Modern World
    2. The Genealogy of Morals

I don’t have a third right now.

2. dontdiechikelele

dontdiechikelele Fapstronaut

Really helpful. Thanks so much for the suggestion. But, just wanted to ask how to develop this habit of reading ? Please suggest

3. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

4. Datme

Datme Fapstronaut

Nice article about Napoleon Hill. I have to admit I haven't read the whole article (it's REALLY long) but I get the idea. Yes, he might be a conman but his books do contain some truths. Having the right mindset and the believe that you can actually do things will give you much higher success rate then people who are always thinking pessimistic.

Affirmations also do help which he emphasizes a lot in his book.

We have nice examples in the martial arts world like: Conor Mcgregor, Muhammed Ali, Bruce Lee, ...

They all had a very deep believe in themselves even if they weren't successful yet. They also used lots of affirmations in interviews and in their daily lives. They were actually thinking themselves into success.

As Bruce Lee said "If you think a thing is impossible, you’ll only make it impossible.". Sounds a lot what Napoleon Hill would say as well and guess what it's true!

But yes it's a shame that Napoleon Hill was doing these occult practices and that he conned a lot of people but at the same time he wrote a good book with useful stuff.

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

JustinX likes this.
  5. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

I understand where you're coming from. Even though he might be a crook, it doesn't mean he can't speak the truth. I just find it disturbing that people will regard his book so highly, when the man who wrote it was a scam artist. His book was written to sell-itself to people who were exploitable.

His book can be summed up with a really simple story, maybe you've heard of it. The Little Engine That Could.

It's a nice sentiment, but it'd be more useful to spend your time reading something else with actual substance.

I think you discredit the martial artists you mentioned when you place so much of their success on affirmations. It's not simply because they had affirmations that they would succeed. It's because of all the hard work and effort they put into their dreams, that they had the confidence that they would succeed.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times"

Things are impossible if you don't put in the work and effort.

Arc12 and Datme like this.
  6. Datme

Datme Fapstronaut

You are right! Of course they put lots work and time into their craft. I didn't want to discredit them. What I meant was that it comes from a mindset that you have the ability to do big things in life and this will snowball into better habits that will lead to success.

Again thank you for sharing the article and your opinion it did changed my mind about Napoleon Hill.

Arc12 likes this.
  7. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

I still struggling with habit of reading as I was never book reader and didnt read books in years until the first 3 books.
    The first 3 books were so insightful that I basically read them in one go each in less then a week time. That basically taught me that self-development books have a real value for me. However it is hard to compete reading with watching movies or playing games. The way how I do is read small amount but continuously.

For example when you taking a shit read just 3 pages. In two months you have full book already done (in reality it will be less then month because at some point it caught your attention and you will read more then 3 pages. But start with 3 only.
    Or when you commute to work only 10 minutes on underground every day and you can read 6-12 books in a year and that would make a real difference.

EDIT: If you want start reading No More Mr Nice Guy online free right now on this link (https://archive.org/details/RobertGloverNoMoreMrNiceGuy) read just 2 page intro and first chapter (it can be done in no time) and if it doesnt catch your attention by then you dont need to read that book at all. But if it does, I guarantee that you finish book in couple of days, because that's how it works with almost everybody who read it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

I cant agree more with this. Pure truth. The worst thing is to read only one book and take it as a bible that everything it says is correct. I read several books, sometimes even they contradict each other (what is actually good to see things from various perspectives) so you can then choose what is right for you and discard what is not. Then you create your own perspective and how the things works based on multiple sources that enrich you not just one. Believe yourself, you will be able to do that, you just need to start.

Datme likes this.
  9. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

I have been recommended that book literally 100’s of time, its just i’m kinda busy with college books these days. But it is definitely on my reading list.

10. MonkeyDo

MonkeyDo Fapstronaut

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, my first recommendation is:

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

Win_for_life likes this.
  11. ReclaimedLife

ReclaimedLife Fapstronaut

1) Rollo Tomassi - The Rational Male (relationship with wamen knowledge, most eye opening book i've ever read)
    2) Kate Northrup - Money, a Love Story (personal growth, basic money expertise)
    3) Dale Carnegie - How to win friends and influence people (massively increasing communication skills)

Honorable mentions:

Robert Kiyosaki - Rich Dad Poor Dad (finance)
    Allan & Barbara Pease - The definite Book abouts Body Language
    Eckhart Tolle - The Power of now (Being present in the moment instead of lingering in thoughts)
    Mingyur Rinpoche - The Joy of Living (Buddhism, Meditation)

All of the above mentioned Books influenced my life positively, with the first three having the biggest actual impact where i reaped the most benefits from.
    Each of those books are "Re-readers, meaning i will have to continuously go back to them.

Win_for_life likes this.
  12. Win_for_life

Win_for_life Fapstronaut

Subtle art of not giving a f### by mark manson

Coffee Candy likes this.
  13. ? ? ?

? ? ? Fapstronaut

1 . " Loose that man and let him go " By: T.D. Jakes
    2 . " The Alchemist " By: Paulo Coelho
    3. " The seven spiritual laws of success " By: Deepak Chopra

14. Mr R.R

Mr R.R Fapstronaut