Started learning to play guitar

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by wwtl, May 28, 2019.

1. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

It seems, that with every larger streak I pick up a new musical instrument. While in 2014 on my half-year NoP streak I restarted piano (and stuck with it even after relapsing), now with NoPMO I feel bold enough to learn playing the guitar from scratch. Yesterday I borrowed an old classical guitar together with a few starter books from a friendly family member and got right into practice.

Day 1: My fingertips hurt like hell.

2. Dakshinamurti

Dakshinamurti Fapstronaut

Awesome! I've been playing the drums and guitar more lately, getting into a mental groove with an instrument is great. I'm experiencing a lot of frustration as my limbs won't move as fast as what I'm hearing in my head, but even playing sporadically I'm noticing rapid improvement. Calluses build quite quickly :)

adamdamn and wwtl like this.
  3. adamdamn

adamdamn Fapstronaut

Picking up instruments again or even learning one from scratch is a great thing anyway, never mind as a substitute when we're doing what we're doing here. I've played guitar for a few years but always wanted to learn the Piano, and I was gifted a Saxophone a while back too. Since I started this journey a couple months back I started teaching myself the piano and I'm really pleased with how it's coming on, starting to feel the pull of the Saxophone now too but I think I need lessons for that, I don't even know how to hold it! hopefully this is the challenge I need to stay on track this time too!

lofi and wwtl like this.
  4. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

No pain, no gain. As with anything...

5. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

Exactly. And having a clear PMO-free mind helps tremendously with the learning.

adamdamn likes this.
  6. adamdamn

adamdamn Fapstronaut

Indeed and the better you get on an instrument the more it occupies your mind and the more chemical reward you get. It's a very healthy spiral of events! Just have to keep that motivation and notice when your progress plateaus that you need to find another lesson on YouTube or something, don't feel negative about yourself again as that can cause a relapse.

wwtl likes this.
  7. Mao Zedong

Mao Zedong Fapstronaut

Hey man, I have played guitar for 6 years, I stopped after that.
    Well, I played a bit last year but not that much...
    I'm planning to practise everyday know, and I played 1 hour today.
    I wish you the best and great fun !

lofi and wwtl like this.
  8. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

I hoped my thread would be inspirational. Best wishes back!

9. RedAppleAle

RedAppleAle Fapstronaut

Hey, I've started learning guitar as well! As of yesterday, I'm aiming to practice at least 30 minutes a day. Started really basic by playing along to Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. What's your approach? Are there any particular songs you'd like to be able to play? My fingers killed yesterday as well haha.

10. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

Congratulations.

I like to get into free playing and improvising, which is one of the reasons I picked up guitar. My piano habits focus to much on sheet music and memorized pieces and it's hard to break out of that on the same instrument.

I might accompany worship songs at some point and hope that some of the stuff learned transfers back to piano.

RedAppleAle likes this.
  11. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

Day 3: First day I actually manage to change chords on a rhythm. Sounds like crap, but it feels like playing an instrument for the first time and not just trying out something.

Fingertips feel like needles day and night, but the pain doesn't increase anymore when playing, that's progress. Still no calluses of course.

Dakshinamurti and RedAppleAle like this.
  12. SirErnest

SirErnest Fapstronaut

It takes a while for the fingers to settle down. Play most days as opposed to occasionally.
    Welcome to one of the most popular instruments in the world..
    And play things that make you feel good.

wwtl likes this.
  13. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

I know, I practice daily in multiple short sessions with long pauses (hours) in between.

Isn't this the piano? ;) j/k

14. SirErnest

SirErnest Fapstronaut

Sorry, you probably didn't need the advise. Btw, most people expect guitarists to be able to sing.. They want Rocket Man, not Bach on the whole.
    Cool that the guitar can do both.

wwtl likes this.
  15. wwtl

wwtl Fapstronaut

I need all the advice I can get. :) My practice schedule I copied from my piano reboot, where it was highly effective.

I'm learning to sing as well. That just happens when you go to worship on a weekly basis.

16. SirErnest

SirErnest Fapstronaut

Yeah Christians do have that. I had to sing hymns at school (I'm an atheist) but I now really appreciate it. Abide With Me gets me sobbing!
    On the guitar front: The Beatles..

wwtl likes this.
  17. Latvian Saiyan

Latvian Saiyan Fapstronaut

I started drumming year ago. Can play a lot of Metallica stuff. Maybe not perfectly, but I feel rhytm and I don't fuck up. GNR is also easy to play. Well, yeah... Music is a lovely thing. Wish you the best with it.

wwtl likes this.
  18. SirErnest

SirErnest Fapstronaut

Two great bands. Keep going...

Latvian Saiyan and wwtl like this.
  19. Latvian Saiyan

Latvian Saiyan Fapstronaut

Yeah man! These two are legends. I also want to learn more of Slipknot, Pantera and some more heaaaaaaavy stuff.

wwtl likes this.
  20. SirErnest

SirErnest Fapstronaut

Yes.
    Good. And Slayer/Megadeth/Maiden etc

wwtl likes this.