1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek talk anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Garris Sherman, Sep 5, 2018.

1. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Watched an episode with Dwight Schultz (Reg Barclay) in it. I'm always waiting for him to go Mad Dog Murdoch crazy, but his Star Trek character is basically the polar opposite. Still crazy, but in a different way.

Just an observation from an 80's TV fan, and general crazy person.

GigglingTrout likes this.
  2. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

Murdoch and Barclay have similar personalities except Barclay is introverted and Murdoch is extroverted.

LEPAGE likes this.
  3. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Saw the last episode of DS9 again the other day. They really had a lot to close out in those last two episodes. I'm always surprised that there are no Jadzia scenes during Worf's flashback. They really didn't want to put Terry Ferrell on the screen at all at that point.

4. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

Is there any character or species that you wish had more focus?

I liked the DS9 episode "Paradise" with the Skrerans. I wanted to know more about their aftermath. Did they establish a succesful colony? How did they handle the Cardassian/Klingon/Dominion conflicts? Did they ever emigrate to Bajor?

LEPAGE likes this.
  5. I always wanted more focus on Cardassian society outside of the military. We saw snippets of it, the legal system which says you are immediately guilty because the people demand it. What did the general populace thing of the occupation, of Gul Dukat, of the Obsidian Order? That is Star Trek's biggest flaw, in my opinion, the monoculture of it all.

That and the stupid line in First Contact "money doesn't exist in the 24th Century". That's great, but it goes against 30 years (at the time) of cannon which implies that it does - oh and I know about Kirk's line about not using money - he was being asked to pay for food with 20th Century cash.

6. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

This has always annoyed me as well. Even in DS9 where Sisko on numerous accounts demanded Quark to pay for any damages done to the station. Isn’t there a huge starfleet crew aboard who does everything for free? It’s like with Spider Man these days how Marvel can’t decide weather his spider web ability is a result of the spider bite or artificial means. I feel they don’t really know how to integrate the Federation’s philosophy of no currency within Star Trek lore when there are countless doezens of Star Trek species that use currency.

KS1994 and LEPAGE like this.
  7. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

I too really enjoyed that episode. Even when I was first making my way through the series I was hoping they would focus on the Skrerans again. I feel like they put a lot of thought and effort into Skrerams only for them to be ntroduced once in the series.

8. ok first of the new mpvies are not star trek but star wars.
    Star trek was never about space fights but more about diplomacy and morality.
    Second i skimmed threw most of the threds and no memtiin of the orville. In my opinion the orville is better then discovery and a throw back to the next generation with humor sprinkled here and there.

Also eneterprise after the first terrible seson the last two were tight and very good but viewers already left by then

9. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

I don't think any trek fans take the new movies seriously, they're just good for entertainment. I have only seen one episode of The Orville but I like it too:).

10. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

I for one enjoyed the newer movies for the most part. I especially enjoyed In to Darkness. I felt Benedict Cumberbatch played a mean fucking Khan. As for the Orville I really really enjoyed that show and thought it was great. I hope it continues. I agree that it’s ten times better than Discovery. I can’t find it in me to even finish the first season.

11. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Just watched that episode again yesterday. It did seem as though they put a lot of effort into developing the species, with no follow up. I like to think they made it.

12. I dislike Janeway for the sole fact that they constantly have to remind you that she is a woman, in command of a ship, as if that is something special, in the 23rd century. There are female Captains now, and by the 23rd century it should even be mentioned.

Like how they played LaForge. They played up his blindness instead of his race. I thought that was well done because it says "black people being on a bridge crew/Engeneering Officer is so common it's not worth mentioning."

KS1994 and Atlanticus like this.
  13. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I can't say I dislike Janeway, but I see what you're saying. They also had the second in command be a Native American character. They were pushing new things.

And then in season 4 they got Jeri Ryan, after which everything was OK.

KS1994 likes this.
  14. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

Alright. Just got out of a very cold shower, and now its time to watch Doctor Bashir, I Presume?.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  15. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Great episode. One of the best from DS9 in my opinion.

LEPAGE likes this.
  16. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

The Star Trek channel here in Canada has forgone their usual programming in favor of movie marathons over the holidays. I'm disappointed. Marathons are nice if you are a fan of what they are showing. I'd rather watch Trek than Harry Potter. Looks like next week is a total bust as well.

17. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

18. KS1994

KS1994 Fapstronaut

Just bought Star Trek Discovery on DVD.

19. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

It's amazing it's even a discussion. Captain Kirk is so epic and awesome it's like no one could ever fill his shoes. Yet somehow Picard had his own epic awesomeness. I don't think you can really say one is better than the other they are both great!

KS1994 and Deleted Account like this.
  20. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I've watched a few episodes of Enterprise now and I have to say it isn't too bad. I kind of regret not watching it at the time.