1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Social Dynamics from a different view. ( Trigger Warning)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AnxietyDude, May 29, 2019.

1. AnxietyDude

AnxietyDude Fapstronaut

Social Dynamics from a different view. ( Trigger Warning).
    I know my way around computers the Internet and software and have her decades, I knew back in Windows 3.1 about the backdoor access within DOS and the operating system itself. Even today many people are not aware that that exists in every OS since then. In fact now we have hardware itself that allows this access in the examples of Intel
    Anyway, I wanted to share something that many of you may not be here where of. Many of the Internet access portholes that we use, such as Google, and other social media.
    Now many of you may be aware and understand that your privacy is not 100% when using these devices. When you are not aware if you happen to own a smart phone that has a droid operating system with Google attached to it. Every piece of information you access is sent to Google. Even if you have airplane mode, and data transfer turned off. Unless your phone has been modified everything that you do. Even if the phone is turned off is sent to Google people think when they power their phone down that the phone is no longer working. The minute you turn the phone on everything that has been done with that phone, as and where has it been how long it stayed somewhere. Is recorded its even more so when the phone is turned on even if you have location and other things turned off on your phone in everything you do is recorded and sent to Google. Either live streamed to them or when your phone is turned on and the Wi-Fi or cell activated the information is sent to them. This is not some dark secret and is actually public knowledge for those that go ahead and look it up. We are not aware also is every thing you do on Facebook or other social media is out there for the taking. Their are safety precautions on social media but they are waxed to the point that just about anybody can access the information that they know what they're doing.

So why is this a trigger to some of you and why did I even bring this up in this debtor form. If you're not paranoid you should be, especially if you use a smart phone to access PMO material. As nothing that you are doing with that even if you happen to have the VPN, the information is still routed back unless you have it blocked, in that VPN. There obviously ways that a person can work to block off the information sent however the average person is not aware that everything you're doing is being sent and documented . Did you know you have your droid phone turned off from data, and airplane mode that Google still is tracking where you were how long you stayed with you drove or walked is all out there even though you think you've turned off that access is recording that and the minute you turn on the data it sends it immediately to Google so you never turned your phone on again for Wi-Fi or data then you would be perfectly fine but most was not keep our phones turned off and don't do anything with them. So it's important to understand that most PC operating systems, and many of our cell phone operating systems our recording and sending your data. The particular operating systems on most PCs is documenting based on the fact that the IP address and the registered user of that software. This is often cross-referenced with other suppliers of information to whether or not you may have your computer and firewall blocked, using other websites to PMO, will eventually be triangulated to your exact computer and it who you are, or who is the registered owner of that computer.

Of course if you have, modified your droid phone, or have set up for browsers and certain other types of devices on your computer to block access you may limit this or possibly eliminated. But the average user is not aware enough on their usage to bother with these interruptions. Because often times online banking and all the other access you will use on a normal day will have to be turned on and turned off making it not practical for the average person.

So perhaps this will help you as a motivator, to understand that nothing that you are doing on the Internet is kept private and each day the collection of our data is becoming more and more detailed on the amount of information that is collected. Once only an IP address and possibly an e-mail was kept. Now they're able to track you even if you are off the Internet and off your data plan. Let that sink in for a minute you actually think your phone is turned off when you're using it and it's not, and anything you are accessing when you think the data and Wi-Fi is turned off is still being recorded.

So hopefully that'll make you think about this as a motivator to realize that technology is getting smarter year after year and the amount of information they have on each individual. There are workarounds as I mentioned however the average person most likely doesn't use that process.

recon117 likes this.
  2. nef

nef Fapstronaut

This is why I love Apple

3. AnxietyDude

AnxietyDude Fapstronaut

Yea for the most part it is a less intrusive OS system, like Linux, Unix. But none are
    truly safe. Just better at it Id say. Apple has access as well, but impossible to find any trail.
    But the original Macintosh with Network did sent information back to Apple. So did they stop that practice? Or just hide it well ?

nef and recon117 like this.
  4. recon117

recon117 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

would you get an Iphone or a new Android?

5. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Android is a Linux distribution. Apple still uses one of the pre-Linux versions of Unix, called BSD. I doubt the OS makes any major difference in what data is sent where, rather it is the creator of the software (Android, iOS) that will create the programs to send whatever data is wanted/needed and where.

With that in mind, there are two huge differences between Apple/Microsoft and Google/Facebook.

Apple makes money off hardware and software. Microsoft makes money off enterprise software. They do not have an incentive to track you, because advertising and selling of private data is not their core business.

Google and Facebook are advertising giants and so they depend on a constant stream of ‘user profiles’ to which advertising can be targeted. They don’t make money off software or hardware, they make money from taking a cut of advertising revenues when the ‘user profile’ is being used by an advertiser; that is their core business.

So i’ll stick to Apple and Microsoft for the time being. They’re the least damaging to privacy than almost everyone else. In fact, I trust Microsoft’s and Apple’s software products when it comes to privacy far more than any other software creator.

I would recommend to watch presentations and to read the books of Jaron Lanier, who’s campaigning against social media and has pretty strong arguments.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    recon117 likes this.
  6. AnxietyDude

AnxietyDude Fapstronaut

Honestly, what I used until two years ago was Blackberry based and good old flip phones. That basically only had one thing that all phones have it could roughly triangulate by the closest cell tower. So given a choicer I would go neither.

Actually the OS matters, as tests have shown that data sent by these varied OS's was dependent on how it was used. Two identical droids could give out different data, even if they have the same app. It appears by tests done the OS and data varied by the user end. Its as if they know you are using your phone in a way that XYZ data is more pertinent. The rabbit hole is much deeper then many understand, its not simply that you own a phone and some data is shared. From the moment you turn on that new phone it is being customized to the individual use.

If yo are wondering why I am so sure? I worked as a security consultant, on a Major email program and got very intimate on how OS's of varied formats transfer data. When you sent email actually near everything about that email is saved and identified, but it goes deeper to where all data associated with one person is gathered for years, building a profile that probably knows us better then we know ourselves. I cant write a book in the forum, so rest assured even Apple is not limited, not nearly enough to be a alternative either is Microsoft. A easy way to think about it is, imagine how bad you think your data is compromised. Then multiply that by 1000 thats closer to what is really going on, and began along time ago.

7. AnxietyDude

AnxietyDude Fapstronaut

BTW, no one has to listen to the advice. If you think you are safe, OK.

I just figure by sharing this people might think about using all these intrusive OS's, Software and Hardware and us PMO on them thinking they are private, when by all accounts its not.

8. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Ah sure my ISPs (mobile and cable) know more about me than I know!! Plus all other companies that we don't see tracking our online habits. I'm sure a lot of advertising companies know our PMO stuff better than us :D and what fetishes we have, and how depressed we are

9. AnxietyDude

AnxietyDude Fapstronaut

Among the mega-corporations that surveil you, your cellphone carrier has always been one of the keenest monitors, in constant contact with the one small device you keep on you at almost every moment. A confidential Facebook document reviewed by The Intercept shows that the social network courts carriers, along with phone makers — some 100 different companies in 50 countries — by offering the use of even more surveillance data, pulled straight from your smartphone by Facebook itself.

Offered to select Facebook partners, the data includes not just technical information about Facebook members’ devices and use of Wi-Fi and cellular networks, but also their past locations, interests, and even their social groups. This data is sourced not just from the company’s main iOS and Android apps, but from Instagram and Messenger as well. The data has been used by Facebook partners to assess their standing against competitors, including customers lost to and won from them, but also for more controversial uses like racially targeted ads.

Some experts are particularly alarmed that Facebook has marketed the use of the information — and appears to have helped directly facilitate its use, along with other Facebook data — for the purpose of screening customers on the basis of likely creditworthiness. Such use could potentially run afoul of federal law, which tightly governs credit assessments.

Facebook said it does not provide creditworthiness services and that the data it provides to cellphone carriers and makers does not go beyond what it was already collecting for other uses.

Facebook’s cellphone partnerships are particularly worrisome because of the extensive surveillance powers already enjoyed by carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile: Just as your internet service provider is capable of watching the data that bounces between your home and the wider world, telecommunications companies have a privileged vantage point from which they can glean a great deal of information about how, when, and where you’re using your phone. AT&T, for example, states plainly in its privacy policy that it collects and stores information “about the websites you visit and the mobile applications you use on our networks.” Paired with carriers’ calling and texting oversight, that accounts for just about everything you’d do on your smartphone.

There is way more then most know about, this is just the tip pf the ice burg.