1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

So...being a strong man is a disorder now.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Slick Willie, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

For the first time ever, the APA has issued a set of guidelines for how to approach men and boys, specifically, within a counseling practice. The new APA protocols for mental health professionals working with men and boys--released in August and available to read in their entirety in a document titled APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice with Boys and Men--were recently summed up on the APA’s website by the statement that “research finds that traditional masculinity is, on the whole, harmful.”

2. A lack of strong men is the reason for this whole mess. We can't convince them, so I guess our only option is to show them :)

3. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

THIIIIIISSS!!!

Peace467 and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Sickening. I'm going to read the whole thing, I may print it off. I've been contemplating getting a graduate degree in counseling for some time now, and it looks like this is going to make the decision for me, in other words NO. I knew the field was going this way and that's why I've hesitated. Glad I didn't commit to it. Now I can chart a different path. Thanks for posting this

5. so the apa wants to counsel men to be soyboys. smh

6. More like brainwash. We still ARE REAL MEN. We've just forgotten it.

7. jwitcher

jwitcher Fapstronaut

This is bullshit.
    Men are supposed to be men. Like, honestly, I'm not agreeing with the whole idea of "men = brutes because most of them are tough and have narrow views", but I'm not agreeing on making men less than they are, either.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Strong Masculinity has been the enemy of cultural marxists for many years now. Why do you think beta male soy boys are En Vogue. The reason is because they are deemed no longer a threat.

9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

This is what motivated me to political activism, the epitome of soyboy beta is barrack obama, ironically I thank him for waking me up and making me angry. He also had a lot to do with why Trump won, since he's insufferable and sanctimonious.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Woodcutter74 and 0111zerozero11 like this.
  10. So many of these idiots don't realize that men are kind of on both ends of this spectrum. They'll complain to male heroes (like police) to protect them from toxic masculinity (like criminals). wut

11. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Eh, I'm not really sure that's what the APA meant. I didn't read everything, but the article says that while traditional masculinity allows men to reach high positions in work, it'll also causes the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, 80% of homicides are caused by men.
    So I don't think they're planning to completely prohibit masculinity, but to help men become more in touch with their emotions. Consider this: Roughly, traditional masculinity means that a guy is this unfeeling, uncaring individual. And if you don't care about anyone or anything else, then, yeah, it could escalate to murder. And that's obviously not a good state of mind.

12. That's what I mean by both ends of the spectrum. Are you saying that heroes arn't part of that traditional masculinity? Yeah, there are more male criminals, but also more male police officers.

13. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

this is another reason to vote republican.

14. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that people are looking for ways to at the very least, lessen the number of homicides. So yes, some negative aspects of traditional masculinity need to be dealt with.

Woodcutter74 likes this.
  15. 0111zerozero11

0111zerozero11 Fapstronaut

Can't stop laughing :emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

That's hilarious. I should use that somewhere just for the heck of it.

17. I've skimmed over it. It's written by using leftist terminology and philosophies. But when I looked into guidelines themselves and rationale for them it kind of makes sense to me.

Too much masculinity is not good. Especially in certain areas like rising children. It leads to aggression, discrimination, etc. And often men are forced to hide their emotions to appear though, which I don't think is healthy.

Same goes for femininity; too much of it is not good. It's leads to having people with weak characters, leads to authoritarianism, censorship, etc. People end up too fragile and incapable of taking personal responsibly for their actions.

They are fast to recognize the dark side of masculinity, because it fits their political agenda, but of course too biased to recognize the dark side of femininity. When you read APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Girls and Women none of it is mentioned. While in guidelines about men it's pretty much the center focus of it.

There needs to be balance between masculinity and femininity. Patriarchy in the past led to some bad things. These days we have a problem of too much femininity in control. Some of it is because of females in wrong positions of power and some of it is because of one-sided feminine ideologies that are not balanced with masculine ideologies brainwashing people.

18. Or...maybe it has something to do with the fact that the average man is literally stronger than 99% of women.

In any case, masculinity isn't an idea, it's a biological physiological thing. It's innate, not a cultural phenomenon. You can't teach yourself to be more or less masculine, you either are or aren't.

19. I agree completely. It's a yin and yang dynamic. One can't exist without the other. The problem though, is the yin is becoming yang and the yang is becoming yin. The gender roles are reversing and it's creating chaos. There's nothing wrong with being real men or real women.

20. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

But it also has psychological roots.
    In any case, is it better to tell people "be yourself"? What if "yourself" wants to go out and kill people? That's something that needs to be dealt with.