1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I try being friends with ex-girlfriend? :/

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by stickydude, May 10, 2015.

1. ForgetFapping

ForgetFapping Fapstronaut

2. Verhart

Verhart Fapstronaut

@MrMomandAddicted

But do you truly believe that is what people mean when they say "be yourself"? Maybe I lack positive attitude, but I doubt it.
    Anyway, although the idea seems great, we're influenced by others since we have been born. We've been raised by our parents, we've spent time with our friends. I'd much rather believe that who we are is what world gave us to experience - empiricism. In my opinion we should take advice we think is good for us and let this advice shape us.

NoBrainer likes this.
  3. JustADude

JustADude Fapstronaut

I doubt very many mature adults say "Be yourself" and intend for the statement to be interpreted to mean you should not improve yourself. Rather, they mean that there are things about "you" that define who "you" are, and that you should not change those things. You should not hide those things from a future mate because you are afraid you will be seen as weak. For example... if you are an introvert, you should probably not fight your internal desire to be introverted, even though much of society encourages you to be an extrovert. Or, you might be an emotional person that cries during sad movies. Or... you might be a free spirit who drifts through life from one adventure to the next.

I agree. But... we should not take our desire to replicate other people's behavior so far that we lose sight of what makes us special. We must take the best of the world and incorporate those things as best we can into ourselves, but, we must also nurture and foster the inherent traits/quirks/propensities that define us as an individual.

4. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Okay, it's been a while... Sorry I didn't respond to your posts earlier @MrMomandAddicted. I get your point. All of your advice is sound and fair. I had not considered that Corey Wayne might be interpreted as a misogynist, but I see where you're coming from. I certainly hadn't regarded anything he said as misogynistic before I read your posts.

What I liked about Corey Wayne is that he gave specific pieces of advice to consider. Instead of following this advice, perhaps I need to learn from my own mistakes and for the time being, try to be at peace with being alone indefinitely.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  5. Mensis

Mensis New Fapstronaut

Just googled "Corey Wayne misoginy" and fell right into this forum post, so I'd like to clarify some things.
    First off, you need to take not only Corey's work but everyone's work on the dating coaching market with a grain of salt. His conceptions, worldview and life perspective have to be analyzed before being applied to your life, in order for you to get what you want.
    This said, I found several problems in @JustADude analysis, all caused by criticizing something that he has only had a narrow contact with. Corey Wayne's work is mainly focused on giving advice on how to get a great relationship, lasting and loving. He even states that his motivation to do so came from his childhood, and from the perception that his parents' marriage lacked love. So, he is definitely not a 'pick up artist', just worried about "casually getting laid". Even if it was the case, there is absolutelly nothing wrong with casual sex. The sooner you realize that, the better.
    This said, Corey Wayne's view can be classified as misogynistic because he thinks that the male has to "lead" the relationship at all times, and stabilish strict patriarchal gender roles, that women seek to be led by the male in the relationship, because that is the feminine energy. This is the most explicitly misogynistic view that he expresses, but putting it aside he adopts a very respectful, freedom oriented approach on women: give them space, don't pressure them into commitiment (to the point that he argues a man should never bring up being exclusive; if the woman likes him enough, she will do that herself). He is absolutely not against being in a serious relationship, seeking a lasting partner to establish an emotional connection with; but he considers that the best way to do so is to be able to set up romantic dates. That is because when guys go out seeking an emotional connection with a woman they barely know, even before getting into a romantic date, is perceived as needy, clingy behaviour that deviates from romantic courtship, can be confused with friendship and often push guys into the friendzone.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017