1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Service Work

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Skins23, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Skins23

Skins23 Fapstronaut

Hi all,
    I was curious if anyone has had any positive service or volunteering experience? I know 12 step pushes this within their groups but I’d like to pay back in other ways. Thought I’d start a chat on the subject as I’m looking for some fresh ideas.
    Thanks!

2. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Hey @Skins23 , I hope you're still around - it looks like you haven't been on in a bit.

I was thinking about this the other day, and to be honest I wonder if people are either too focused on a formal role like a certain position at a recovery meeting or just don't do anything.

To be honest, I think a volunteer 'job' can only go so far - though obviously it's great if someone is starting to think about this instead of just what's in it for me, or in the limited context of an AP group.

I think what's really needed and a very minute percentage of the population will actually take seriously is to listen to people. To be honest, people may also take that for granted. Ideally people are not only heard but they arrive at an understanding and are able to work on their situation, but I think the unfortunate reality at least around where I live is people need to pay someone, that is a therapist and the quality of that both in terms of listening and the insight is not at all guaranteed. I don't want to be pessimistic but it should really be something human beings do naturally, but we don't. Even on here people may give advice, and it's a relatively simple back and forth, and I don't think we can honestly say we end up getting to know each other as people.

I think a lot of recovery people mean while, but for me I feel they don't necessarily have the depth, or it requires a big learning curve and you have to speak that lingo and I honestly have reservations about the framework that people work from, because there are certain assumptions.

Long story short ... we should take an interest in other people and their lives. Hanging out and spending time may start getting into that a LITTLE, and it's natural for it to take time, but beyond those 3-5 minute shares at meetings I feel we need to get real, like a LOT more. That would serve people IMO, and other service roles while good for what they are cannot encompass the whole human experience.