1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking a Passion

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by champion42, Jun 19, 2019.

1. champion42

champion42 Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

my name is David and I'm 20 years old. I'm having trouble finding a hobby I'm passionate about. Do you guys have any advice?

2. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Get a sheet of paper and write down on two columns:
    - things I like
    - things I don't like

List anything, colours, objects, situations etc. This will help you know yourself a little better.

Then from this list, create another one with:
    - things I like to do
    - things I don't like to do

Then try and do some of the things you like to do; they may lead you to a passion or a hobby. Just as example, if you like cleaning your flat (sic!), you may find that you'd probably like to teach other men how to do a good job at it; you may like teaching others, and then teaching others about something may become your passion.

Hope it helps!

george53 likes this.
  3. champion42

champion42 Fapstronaut

4. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

Good advice, i will try that!

5. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

So many options man... Although some hobbies require more $, this can then be an incentive to get more $ and you end up being more productive and having more fun in your free time!

Tennis and mountain biking are great fun and relatively cheap.

Fixing a car and taking it to a cruise is not cheap, but very fulfilling if you're a car guy.

Cooking and reading are underrated too I might add. What's your favourite meal? Try cooking it at home... And books really are a great way to get back to basic living away from distractions, while learning.

These are all simple things... But just examples of everyday things that people who live a balanced life get excited about!

george53 likes this.
  6. Chilllidog

Chilllidog Fapstronaut

I’m having the same problem.
    I’m finding that my mind is trying to find a hobby that will re-invent me as a person, something big and ambitious, and I come up blank.
    Small modest hobbies seem to get pushed out by self doubt “what would my mates think if they found out I’m trying to learn a language!!?”

I’m really shocked to discover how hard it is to fill the void. The battle to validate the use of spare time with something new is crippling, yet what I was doing with my time prior, was a waste anyway...

I’ve learned to do the rubix cube, my kids loved it, my ex wife scoffed at me for playing with toys.

I’ve tried to read but I get restless, the gym is good.
    All my friends love art, music, and wide range of movies - I just can’t click with any of it. But they are right! The huge yellow painting does look amazing, but my lack of enthusiasm couldn’t see it. Does this make them better than me??

I’ve quickly learnt that my lack of hobbies is fast making me uninteresting, and I start to seriously self-doubt my worth to my friends and peers, and this has helped fuel the addiction.

Please let me know what you decide to take up for a hobbie, I need ideas too!

7. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

@Chilllidog
    I think you shouldnt start with something too ambitious, knowing how to solve a rubiks cube is pretty cool (i am still struggling with the bottom part :/), if you want to learn a language, just do it. Try duolingo, its an amazing app and actually quite fun compared to lessons in school and it will raise your confidence to put together more and more complex sentences in a foreign language. And dont worry too much about what others think. Your exwife was an asshole for putting you down for doing something you like to do! (I dont know her, so i wont make further judgments, but there are lots of people who like to put others down, so they dont feel as bad themselves, you shouldnt worry about what they think!)
    I would also reccomend some meditation, you will learn to be more focused and it will allow you to read with less Effort.
    Once you get started doing something, you might find more and more things that you find interesting and eventually you will find your passion!
    And doing something you like is never a waste of time, you can get something out of everything!

8. champion42

champion42 Fapstronaut

Wow, that's great advice! @backtolife42. I've tried the piano last week but I'm not enthusiastic about it as much this week. So... on to the next possible hobby!

9. backtolife42

backtolife42 Fapstronaut

Thats good, try out new things, but i would also reccomend coming back to things you already tried from time to time, maybe you can rediscover the things that made you passionate about them in the first place. I know that learning piano can be frustrating once you feel like you are not making any more progress, but maybe try it once a week, revisite previous lessons and see if you can enjoy playing a simple piece of music again.

10. You are gonna die one day, and it is impossible that this perfect universe works at every seconde by chance. This has to be your most important preocupation, instead of temporary entertainemnts. Once you will find the right path, then seek for something else in your free time

DaveHana likes this.
  11. champion42

champion42 Fapstronaut

Wow, it becomes deep when you put it like that @Yep u do I'll definitely keep that in mind. @backtolife42, I'm actually taking your advice because the next thing on my list of possible hobbies is writing, which I had a passion for in high school. I'm gonna see what types of writing genres and opportunities are out there. Maybe if I end up loving it I can make some money from writing as a side hustle.

Yep u do likes this.