1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of learning things in front of others?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by LongWayToGo, Apr 1, 2019.

Do you find yourself comfortable to learn online, when people look at your laptop/desktop?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Hello fellow fapstronauts,

I need to get rid of a problem. Please suggest your thoughts.

I am scared of learning things in front of my room mates, and colleagues in my office. We don't have a separate cubicle where we can do whatever we want on our computers and no other colleague will notice.

I have an annual subscription of a popular online learning platform. But, I haven't made use of this so far to learn things. I feel vulnerable to watch basic programming videos, then practicing it on my laptop at home.

Everytime someone looks at my laptop, on what am I doing, I think they shouldn't see. I am working in IT for over 6 years now and have merely survived it.

Seems to me that I am governed by the circumstances and surroundings, rather than doing what I supposed to do. Please suggest how can I get rid of this?

2. PJT

PJT Fapstronaut

Have you tried to put on some headphones? This way, you are concentrating on what is being said and what is on the screen as opposed to the outside stimulus. I have the same problem when it comes to skateboarding. Im damn near 35 yrs old and just trying to find an activity to do but skating is tough and you can fall and look real bad and I live in a congested part of a big city. I literally walk out of my apt with the board in my hand as opposed to under my feet bc I am instantly paranoid/scared to ride and fall or look bad. But then I walk a few steps, put my ear phones in get to a less crowded place drop the board and ride. And try to not make any eye contact with people. I still get nervous and hop off at times when I feel like there is too many people around, but the headphones do help.

LongWayToGo likes this.
  3. Thanks @PJT for sharing how you deal with this. Yes, headphone do work, when I am home, and none of my roommates really disturb at that time.

Situation is difficult at my workplace, where we don't have cubicles anymore. So everyone can see what other colleagues are doing on their desktop/laptop. One of my manager sits diagonally opposite to me. Putting on headphone seems like I am avoiding my colleagues sitting next to me. There are a couple of colleagues who asks a lot of questions such as what you are doing? What is this website? Have you taken subscription? They all know all these things but still they ask such questions which really annoys me. People are more interested to know what's happening in others life. I don't feel I should answer their questions. May be they can go back and search for what I was browsing on my desktop when they are free, rather than asking me.

When I browse the basics of some topics, I wonder what would the people around me will think...that this guy is incompetent, he doesn't even know basics... I am surrounded by some seniors and juniors as well. Every time I try to learn something online, I feel very vulnerable and exposed, so to speak.

PJT likes this.
  4. PJT

PJT Fapstronaut

What's wrong with learning something new? Is it a thing where you might lose your job if you are learning something that your senior managers may think you already need to know? But most importantly, I feel like maybe if someone does inquire about what you are looking at and they inevitably ask you the question..just take a deep breath or two and answer in kind and in the affirmative as opposed to asking with nervousness. Try and spin the inquiries to a positive, the aids online aren't the only way to learn. Maybe one or two of these guys can help you out or be another brain to pick?

We should always try and make our weaknesses into our strengths. The way I see it, you trying to learn something is more productive than just shooting the breeze. I would be more drawn to that type of energy and I think productive people would be too. I personally would respect what you are trying to do and may interject here and there to see if you making progress and try and encourage. I'm not saying all people would be like this and most likely the people you work with aren't. BUT you never know. Maybe your coworkers can surprise you.

Reborn16 and LongWayToGo like this.
  5. There's nothing wrong with learning something new.
    @PJT you have asked the right question to me.
    But yeah, what I am usually learning are things my senior managers would expect me to know already, considering that I had been around in the organisation and industry for over 6 years. I had ignored what I should be learning for past 6+ years, which ultimately boils down to PMO. I should be skilled in the technologies I am working on, but clearly lack it.

I need to be humble and loose the eye of skepticism for the colleagues, may be they can help me get better, instead.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions @PJT :)

PJT likes this.
  6. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

I would say learn it at home, make the sacrifice and spend 30 mins or an hour on it each evening.

That way nobody will look over your shoulder, you won't feel guilty not working at your job, and nobody will ever know you just did a pro catch up. :)

I am sensing an underlying issue though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems you place more emphasis on how others see you than how you view yourself?

You see, at the office you may need to make a trade off and stay on task. But at home, your room mates should really mind their own business if you're studying on your laptop.

It's not as big a deal as you imagine I guarantee you. I would recommend reading 'the subtle art of not giving a f*ck' by Mark Manson. I'm no different some days, but it's usually just our own imagination, and people are more worried about their own lives to worry about ours...

LongWayToGo and PJT like this.
  7. @Reborn16, you have hit the bull's bye. I never thought it this way. I am more worried people will judge me for what I am doing. Rather, I should focus on getting better.
    Learning at home is definitely a safer option, thanks for that. But I should learn to learn wherever I am, I won't get the luxury to go and study at home, specially when I am too tired.

My roommates are supportive and don't really sneak into what others are doing.
    Thanks for your suggestions @Reborn16, I will check the book.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Reborn16 likes this.
  8. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

Sure thing, it's worth having a good look into. Basing our actions around other people means we please others rather than pursue our goals. It's a lot more efficient and natural to have our interest first, but also be a gentleman and not the polar opposite of trying to please everyone.

My big issue was talking in front of groups. I still don't find it easy, but I don't place such an importance on what my audience thinks about me. Which as a result allows me to relax and perform better than when nervous. Best of luck!

LongWayToGo likes this.
  9. Thanks @Reborn16! I will apply your suggestions and share how my learning experience turns out to be.

Thanks for sharing your experience of how you are tackling public speaking as well.

Reborn16 likes this.
  10. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

Not sure if this is your issue, I can remember throughout life not liking learning certain things next to others. Wherever it came from, it was the fear of making mistakes and having others witness them. It was crippling actually.

11. Thanks for sharing your experience and views @Minsc.

I realize now, that my ego is having a hard time accepting the fact that I suck at things and I should learn the basics again. And this learning can't happen in the Himalayas, because I need to earn my bread, everyday to survive. I don't have the luxury to quit my job and not face the reality and fix things. It is high time and life would not give me another chance to fix myself and get better.

In order to operate within this framework of life, on this beautiful Earth, I can't expect that special moment when nobody (out of 7 billion) would be around me, to see what I am learning and what mistake I am making. People would be there, for sure.

We are human and a social animal and will remain surrounded by people, no matter what.
    If I remain scared of learning things and making mistakes in front of others, I won't grow.

12. Newlife33

Newlife33 Fapstronaut

That's why I liked yoga and playing casual rec sports. I could mess up and fail in a low pressure situation. Then I got use to feeling humble and learning and it grew into more high pressure situations like work or relationships.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    LongWayToGo and Reborn16 like this.