1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

SAA Group Questions

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by Hawkeye71, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Hawkeye71

Hawkeye71 New Fapstronaut

So, I'm new here and always looking for ways to strengthen my recovery.

To this end, I've been seeing a therapist I find effective, I've journaled like crazy, I've watched TED talks and vlogs from therapists and recovering addicts, I've read Carnes and Weiss et al. That's all good, so far.

What I'm thinking of adding: participation in my local SAA group.

I reached out and they called, and we set up some kind of "intake interview" to see if we're all a good fit. We meet tomorrow.

I want to be open-minded, but I have reservations. Notions like "higher power" and admitting I'm "powerless" forever don't exactly offend me, but they don't make obvious sense either. It'll take a lot to get me on board with the full 12, is what I'm saying.

Here's what I'm asking, I guess: is wary skepticism the right approach with the whole 12 Step thing? Is there anything about it that is disqualifying as a good addition to my recovery program?

FWIW, the fact that my therapist does not absolutely require any group work, as some do, was a factor in my choice of mental health professional. Also, I work in a very public-facing job that takes me into high schools and in front of groups of students and parents. I'm in a small upper Midwestern city where my daily life brings me randomly into contact with lots of those same people. I get the whole anonymity thing, but I'm nervous.

Now I feel like I'm overexplaining. Can you share some thoughts about this topic, please?

2. Ayjaydubya

Ayjaydubya Fapstronaut

I have been in and out of therapy over many years, involved in a couple of SAA groups, and have read some of Carnes material. I'm also somewhat of a public figure because of my "job" and was hesitant to join an SAA group (fortunately it was not a problem). So far, I've gotten more from this forum than any of the above. I encourage you to start a journal here and get an accountability partner.

"The difference between the master and the beginner is that the master has failed more times than the beginner has ever tried."

3. luckybeard

luckybeard Fapstronaut

Dude, just go to a meeting, it won't hurt!