1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Running stuff

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Iwannaquitplz, May 25, 2018.

1. Iwannaquitplz

Iwannaquitplz Fapstronaut

I run on the treadmill but now I am going onto the roads where there is no water, keys and phone holder. This morning I woke up at 7 and went for a 4km run.

If anyone is into running, I'd love to know what equipment you use.
    Thinking about getting some kind of health tracker, maybe one of those watched?
    Do you use those arm band things to hold your phone and key etc?

Also, maybe a few quick tips for a beginner, please?
    I'd love to know when you run, how long you run for and how far you run and if you just do the same circuits near where you live?

2. I run at night or early morning. I listen to my body to know how far to run. Only equipment I use is a pair of jeans + bare feet.

Quick Tips:
    Always listen to your body. Pain tells you something's wrong. Work on getting your movement patterns more in harmony with gravity and bio-mechanics (using something like Tai Chi, Yoga, Feldenkrais, or Alexander Technique).

kilometrico and Iwannaquitplz like this.
  3. I'm an ultra-runner.

Don't worry about equipment. I once got distracted with numbers, times, fancy watches and whatever else is out there. That stuff just ruins running. As @lackingabettername says, listen to your body. When you have a fancy watch and all this equipment, the sound of your body is drowned out.

Running is a simple as covering ground on your feet quickly. You should enjoy it. If you want to run faster, run faster, if you want to run further, run further. Very quickly you will figure out what you like about running and when to have fun and when to push yourself. Pro tip: 80% of your workouts should be pretty easy.

That being said, some equipment is really nice. The first thing I ever got was a water bottle with a handle and a little pouch for my keys. That was all I needed for years and years.

Iwannaquitplz likes this.
  4. Iwannaquitplz

thanks guys!
    Ok, so i'll get a arm pocket thing for my keys - ran this morning with my keys in my hand.

And thanks for the tips too, I've started some yoga from like a week ago and I am super inflexible, I'll have to work on it a lot!

Do you have any advice on breathing? This morning I found I was out of breath before my legs were even starting to feel anything. I think I run about 1 km without stopping but then I am out of breath and need to stop.

5. Well I am not the greatest runner but I know from experience to work on your form and the rest will follow youtube has a lot of videos on good running form.

6. The Yoga or whatever will overtime help with the breathing. But spend some time just being aware of your breathing. Just pay attention. Do you use one lung more than the other? Where does the air go? What parts of your body expand and contract? Does one side move more than the other? What happens with your spine? With your pelvis? Any unnecessary tension? Are you keeping stale air in your lungs? When running, what's the rhythm like; is there a point in your stride you hold or interrupt your breathing? If there is slow down and analyze why. Learn a different, more effective, way of moving. Pay attention and keep doing yoga (or a similar discipline—personally I think yoga is overrated).

7. Iwannaquitplz

thanks, i'll focus on that.
    What would you recommend if not yoga?

8. With yoga you can see a lot of people struggling to hit a pose and nothing helping them learn functional movement.

I personally like The Alexander Technique and especially Feldenkrais (Awareness Through Movement), the stress is on learning new options for movement and behaviour. It's based more on neurology and gravity than a concept like "chi" (which can become a barrier to entry: "I don't have chi, so what's the point?")... I also think Tai Chi is better than Yoga because it really stresses slow, quality movement patterns, and therefore should transfer to your daily life better. Don't get me wrong though, yoga can (and does) "work" for a lot of people—just be mindful of how you practice it; don't put the end goal (the pose) ahead of the means whereby (your movement and the feedback you get from your body... it should feel good).

Message me if you're interested in this type of stuff... It's a bit of an obsession of mine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018