1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

run fapper run!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by monkotto, Sep 17, 2014.

1. thepersonathome

thepersonathome Fapstronaut

I love cold showers after exercise. I think cold showers are necessary for a runner. Like someone mentionned to be a good runner you need your brain. Cold showers teaches discipline and is uncomforting to get through a cold shower you need a strong will. The more cold showers you take the stronger your will. When running a long distance you will need a strong will.

2. Hey guys, a question about rest days! For now, I'm running about 5km/30min, 5 times a week. My two rest days are Tuesday and Wednesday. I was able to run 40min today (supra slow, but I wasn't dead exhausted at the end, and I've ran only 26mins yesterday), and I'm wondering if I could start introducing a bit of speedwork and long run in my routine. What would be the best day for my long run for you? I was thinking of Sunday, but I fear I'd be too exhausted on my Monday run. I also have the possibility to change my rest days. Thank you very much in advance for your insight :eek:

Oh and while we're at it, I have a second question: if 5k is my usual run, what would consider a "long run"? 7k, 10k, 15?... I'm totally not have the fitness level to run 10 - for now!

3. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

hi anne,

now we have advanced-stage-runners here (for example yorokobi). :)

8k yesterday - today i make a rest - tomorrow 7k.

i need rest. sometimes one day sometimes two days. i try to run at least three times in the week.

in my opinion a long run for you would be 8k (several times 8k afterwards 10k). try to run very slow - and look how it works.

4. Yes thank you, I was thinking about 8k too! Definitely going to try this out, but I want to make sure I'm really comfortable with 5k before. I'm terrified of overtraining.

By the way sorry, I mistook, my rest days are Tuesday and FRIDAY, not Wednesday, which changes a lot the game.

5. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

your body (especially your legs) will give you signs.

when you feel pain take a rest. sometimes i have a bit pain in my knees. that is the sign for me to take a rest.

6. It's hard to recognize a sore from a pain, a real injury. I've never exercised in my life for the very reason that pain is my hugest phobia, so having sore legs and feet is completely new from me. The balance between rationalization and overtraining is very thin.

So is it better to have a "pattern" of rest days / run days, or just to go berzerk, train when you're feeling good, and rest when you're feeling not good? Loads of questions today sorry :)

7. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

@anne

last year i ran 21 days (every day 7k) in a row. without rest-days. that was really hard for the body.

that was a kind of berserktrain. it is feasible but too intense.

better to have always one day rest between the runs - this is my experience.

:)

8. monvoyage

monvoyage Fapstronaut

Hey Anne

I'm in similar situation like you.. I've been running for 15 minutes everyday, but reduced it now to five times a week, with progressive longer runs so that i'll be running a 10k 8 weeks from now.
    I have the longest run of the week always on Sunday, Saturday is a rest day. The second rest day is tuesday.
    - i'll just attach a picture of my plan, it's pretty much self explaining. I think i found a good mix of short/long runs and rest days. Peut-être ça peut t'aider un peu.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-25 um 21.40.20.jpg

Aaand i have question: Do you think it's realistic to train for a semi-marathon? I have like 4-5 months to train for it. The longest i've run so far is a 5k in 27 min.

9. Hey Anne,

first of all: i like your attitude towards runnings. you seem to have plenty of emotional capital if you want to run 5 times a week! The good news is that you can do that without overtraining (injuring yourself). For example, your running week could look like this:

Sunday: slow 'n long run
    Monday: s-l-o-w regeneration run (luxury blood flow) = you can add some technique drills at the end*
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday:5k with a few sprints (1 sprint = 100 meters of constant acceleration)
    Thursday: 5k at your normal speed
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 5k including 4 x 500 meters with the pace you'd like to run in a race (after each 500m slow down until you're ready for the next round)

of cause, this is just an example. what i want to show with it is that in order to run 5 times a week you should mix up your running sessions. doing 5k at full speed 5 times a week will probably hurt sooner or later...

as for sore leg and feet: stretching is super important (just stretch a few minutes before going to bed, this habit will benefit you a lot!)http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

another aspect is the conditioning of your muscles and tendons. in the beginning your feed (especially the middle part) get's sore 'cause your not used to run (that much) but if you're really sore just take one more day off - good recovery is training too and it's better to "miss" one day of running due to rest than a few weeks due to injury.

if you want some quality advice for your running visit your local library and look for books form Hebert Steffny and Dieter Baumann.

i hope my response was somewhat helpful.
    all the best!

* something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HKaTPD7ZE

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  10. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

@monvoyage

not sure if you asked anne or me.

here my two cents...

your plan is very good. 10k will be the basis for your half-marathon.

(example: 10k - 12k - 15k - 18k - half marathon)

4-5 months is enough time for the preparation - that is realistic.

11. Thank you for your answer guys, super interesting and helpful!!

Yeah monkotto, that's what I'd like to avoid, and take it easier. Anyway I don't think I'm mentally strong enough to do this :eek: Oh and I'm also stealing your advice to monvoyage :p

monvoyage, merci beaucoup ça m'aide vraiment! Je pense que je vais faire comme toi, et essayer de courir un 10k dans 8 semaines! Bon courage à nous :D Your plan is extremely interesting. It seems feasible to me. Progressive enough. NHS's Couch 2 5K program was perfect for me so I guess this will be good. It's really about slow but definite progress.

Yorokobi, thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate you finding that my attitude is good, because it's by far the most important for me. I don't forget that I'm doing this first and foremost for me, but I also do it for my mom. So it's capital for me to organize my motivation well.

I love your plan too. The way you included sprints and drills seems perfectly realistic for me. I think that it's exactly what I need to smoothly pass to the superior level of training. I think I'm going to combine your plan and monvoyage's one.

"Doing 5k at full speed 5 times a week will probably hurt sooner or later...": ya, that's exactly what I'm doing now, and as I'm running on concrete anyway, I'm beginning to feel it quite a bit. Definitely am going to adapt. Yesterday was a very good experience. I justtt started stretching and I am honestly wondering how stupid I was not to do it before. I'm still in the habit building phase though, and I'm waiting for my dad to bring me my yoga mat to be able to stretch really properly. I've found that I quite naturally find the relevant stretches so I guess I got that for me which is nice! Yes, thank you for reminding me of the importance of recovery, as I also try to lose some weight I tend to forget that recovery is capital and that progress doesn't come in one day. My issue is that I usually take long walks (15 - 20km) during rest days because hey, that's not running at least! But I know it's flawed reasoning and I'm going to stop doing this right now. I read a Mo Farah's interview in Runners World the other day and he talks with more insight about how himself take rest days and it's basically "do nothing". That suits me :eek: Definitely going to look for these books, thank you!! Haha this thread gave me more reading wills than any other thing in my life XD

Again, one question, sorry XD : let's say I want to run a 10k in 8 weeks. I would be very interested to follow Yorokobi's plan, but I love the way monvoyage progressively increases the distance. So here's what I'm thinking of: following Yorokobi's plan, but using monvoyage technic's for long run days. What I want to say is: during the week, usual 5k, as Yorokobi said, but on Sunday's, for my long run day, I will add a kilometre each week. Which means that the first three weeks I'll still be running 5k, but mentally preparing myself that this is long run day - perhaps even trying just some endurance, to test, but in my mind it will be 5k; and each week afterwards, I'll smoothly add 1k to my running track, so that by the end of week 8, I'll naturally and gently run 10k. Is it too much? It seems doable to me, but I haven't got much experience. This way I could both improve my endurance (= Sundays) and speed. I'm very slow.

12. I don't see any reason why your plan should not work. 8 Weeks is more than enough time to go from 5k to 10k!

You say that you are slow. How much time do you need for 5k? I am asking 'cause if you want to get faster - who doesn't? - you're (most likely) unconsciously running too fast. If you compare yourself to others you may think that your slow BUT unless you are competing in a race there is only one indicator that'll tell you if you are too fast/slow and that is your heart rate!

unless you're doing sprints or intervals you should train at 60-70% of your max. heart rate = comfortable, conversational pace (it means your are able to hold a conversation for the whole distance). When i started to keep track of my running i noticed that after a few weeks i was able to run my 10k with the same heart rate but almost 2 minutes faster. of cause if you run at 80% or higher you are much faster but you also need longer to recover, that's why athletes spend most training time/kilometers at a lower heart rate and then turn it up when they run a race...

If you can/want to spend the money, a runners watch with HRM is a good investment if you're running up to 5 times a week. It certainly helped me a lot to dial it down a notch in the beginning... if the heart rate is not too high adding extra kilometers won't a problem. Speed will come to those who are patient with themselves.

13. I'm sorry to answer only now!!! I just remembered this haha! Well, at the fittest I've ever, ever been, I ran a 5k around 28mins. Now, I run it in about 30-32mins, including the circulation fires waiting time, and as I run by the canal, the times when I'm forced to slow down.

Actually I've run about 6,9km today - long run day, including warm up so about 6,5km in total of running, following your plan. I ran it in 45mins. Quite hilly. Yeah, sometimes I can definitely feel I'm going too fast, but I find it harder to go slow actually. It hurts in joints rather than in breathe and hurt. Plus it takes more time so my feet get fatigued earlier for my fitness level. I'm soon entering a race though :D

I've thought about it, and I think than I may try to run 10k before 8 weeks. Let's try 5 weeks. If I follow your plan, it should be good. Tried doing the increases at "race pace" yesterday, but it was hard, as I've never raced so my goal only is to complete the race, without any PB. So it looked more like sprints. It was challenging though.

Oh God. I'm poor as dirt, but I think I'm gonna ask for a watch for Christmas. I seriously am more and more thinking about doing this... For life? I've always thought I'd just run a marathon and stop, but it's getting addicting. Becoming healthy is as addictive as PMO, damn.

I'll try to sing songs while running. I really think I run to fast, but I feel that I'm so slow!! Every person that runs near me surpass me at a rate of 40km per hour. Besides, I'm really short, with reallllly short legs, so I don't think that my strides - is that the word? my steps? - are very effective.

Thank you so much for your answer!!!

14. you're welcome,

please don't overthink this whole running thing. For the rest of this year just get comfortable with running 10k. don't worry too much about speed and technique now. Run regularly and enjoy it!

to avoid pain in joints and tendons: 1) stretch and 2) don't try to make bigger strides (at least not now). Unless you have a very good technique bigger steps will make you overstride = you run with heel strikes and that will hurt your knees.

So again, don't worry! run slow and consistently. Condition your body for this new commitment, if your patient you won't get hurt and your body will adapt and deliver results.

15. Erboinq

Erboinq Fapstronaut

I'm loving this thread. I've been running semi-regularly for about 12 years. Like some others here, I do it because I enjoy it. I find it theraputic and a good opportunity to think.

My big challenge right now is that I'm just too comfortable running. I don't push myself. I just go out and run at a leisurely pace until I don't feel like running any more, which can be anywhere from 5 to 20 kilometres, depending on how I'm feeling. The result is that I can run for a long time, but not particularly fast, and often finish with tired limbs yet a completely untested cardiovascular system. Lately I've been trying to set a defined route before I even leave the house, so that I can work on pacing myself and pushing myself to do it as fast as I can. I just started doing timed races as well. Right now I'm at about 20 minutes for a 5K. If I keep pushing myself I'm hoping I can get that down to 18 minutes or so by the end of the year.

And +1 for the cold showers. But even better after a run, I find, is a cold bath. It's so refreshing and feels amazing on your muscles. Not something I would recommend to those who aren't used to it, though. Having grown up in a cold climate and now having showered/bathed exclusively in cold water since June, I may be somewhat more accustomed to the cold than others!

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Fapstronaut

Hello, everybody!
    And... awesome thread!!!

I've been occasionally running since 10 y.o. Since 2012 I've been running long-distance.

On September 21st I finished Moscow Marathon in 3 h. 48 min. Woke up in the middle of next night because of pain in knee. What a bummer. I know the reason: lack of training+concrete surface. So now, expectably, I've been swimming for 2 weeks.

The day after tomorrow I will start 7 months preparation for my first ultramarathon - 100 km (62.14 miles). Really inspired by books of Haruki Murakami "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" and Chris McDougall "Born to Run".

(Btw, have you read the book by one of the main characters of "Born to Run" - Scott Jurek's "Eat&Run"?
    Just wonderful book!!! Among other features Scott shares his vision about why former addicts start running long-distance).

Anyway, I am a little scared by the distance I want to run:) However, I know that I simply want to finish. No speed. Just endurance. That is not gonna be difficult if you run about 600+ km each month.

So, what do you think, guys?
    Who's with me? :)

I am happy that I found such cool thread on NoFap! Gonna stick to it.
    Run for your life!!!

P.S. I think many of you know it, but in case you don't, here are some articles about running's influence on brain:
    -http://m.runnersworld.com/health/5-ways-running-boosts-brain-power?page=single
    -http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/your-brain-long-runs
    -http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_high

I guess, in these articles are the answers, why former addicts start running.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

600k each month??? that is insane!

i thought i am superman because i ran 78k in august - you ruined my little running-world! :mad:

:)

18. Andy_M

Andy_M Fapstronaut

You are superman, monkotto! Everyone at this thread are super-awesome-people, cause most of the people can not even make themselves to get up from couch and run for couple of miles.

Before marathon I was running about 12-14 km each day. That is about 1 h. 10-15 min./daily.
    If you want to run marathon, you will need 3-4 months of such trainings + when you ready enough (maybe after 1-2 months), start running long-distance, like 2-3 hours/20-30 km once per each 1-2 weeks (I usually do it, as majority of other marathoners, - on Saturdays). And, of course, do not forget to eat carbohydrates starting 3-4 days before marathon + take 2-3 days rest. That is the formula. Quite easy.

Speaking about my "crazy intention", as I said, I am not quite sure I can do it :) The most long distance I ran in my life was 50 km, that was pretty tough. Anyway, hope persistent trainings and various motivational sources will help me. Such motivational sources like this video (check it out):

[video=youtube;2Wj2WvWx7OI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wj2WvWx7OI[/video]

19. monkotto

monkotto Fapstronaut

that is really impressive andy!

right i am superman - i need a cloak and a pyjama. :)

like i said many times in this thread i am focusing on 5k and 10k. i am a cosy-runner. between 15k and 20k each week.

when you finish your 100k race you will be the grandmaster of runners here.

the video is very motivating. wonderful nature there.

20. Guys, just a question, some of you may know the answer, I prefer to be safe than sorry - is it ok to run if I'm under antibiotics? I got dental problems so I'll need to take amoxicilin for a week. Today I'm going to have a forced rest day, which pisses me off to infinity and beyond as it's the first training day I miss since a month, but I slept so bad because of the pain I'm just fainting. I fear that my body struggling against the infection interferes with my training, for both parts.

Andy, you're incredible. Wish you the best in this, this is definitely an admirable goal, huge respect for you!