1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Role models

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Senecathestoic, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Senecathestoic

Senecathestoic Fapstronaut

Do people have any role models who they use as examples in their life?

What qualities do they have? What do you admire in them?

2. TheCatholicCommando

TheCatholicCommando Fapstronaut

Without a doubt Teddy Roosevelt.

26th US President.

This was a guy who had vigor and energy and did had some incredible adventures. He was a writer, a statesman, a hunter, a naturalist, an explorer, NYC Police Comissioner, Governor of NY, Cavalry Colonel in the Spanish American War (posthumously awarded the Medal Of Honor in 2001 for leading the charge at the Battle of San Juan Hill in Cuba) afterwards he became Vice President and then President when President William McKinley was mortally shot. While in office, he went to Panama to oversee the construction of the Panama canal and after he left office, he went on hunting expeditions to Africa and the Amazon.

So yeah, pretty impressive guy. His whole philosophy for life was about being high in energy and self reliant. He grew up with asthma and made a conscious effort to build himself up.

He says in his autobiography that he never had a natural talent for anything, (despite his resumè) but he would compensate by training himself vigorously in anything he decided he wanted to be good at.

So yeah. If you want an inspiring role model. Teddy Roosevelt your man. And I say this as someone who disagreed with an awful lot of his policies in office.

AncestralWarrior and DaveHana like this.
  3. ReclaimedLife

ReclaimedLife Fapstronaut

Les Brown

Public Motivational Speaker, was deemed mentally retarded at school, got adopted at a young age, and all of his speeches address something new or re-ignites my flame for life. He just hits the spot for motivation for me.
    I know we are the sum of the people we spend the most time with. But sometimes, real role-models are just not available to meet in person. But thanks to youtube, amazing people like Les Brown, Tony Robbins, Jim Rohn, Alan Watts and yes, also Will Smith give amazing advice for Life and keep me going throught a full workout, home cleaning, sometimes through the whole day.
    I identify way more with them then i do with my friends. My friends are mostly people who don't have higher goals in life and don't want to be the best version of themselves.
    But it doesn't matter, i still like to hang out with them once in a while. But i do spend a shitload of time listening to those inspiring speeches that help me to keep me going.
    Much of the advice i got were things i wasnt even aware of. Things that i did (totally) wrong without knowing.

I am really grateful that i live in a time where i can listen to those amazing people with my phone, almost wherever i am.
    It is really a blessing.
    I am thankful for all of them, sharing their wisdom for free and giving me the opportunity to grow like this.

4. https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7-it-is-not-the-critic-who-counts-not-the-man

5. AncestralWarrior

AncestralWarrior Fapstronaut

I've got lots of them. What I love doing is dividing what they represent to me in different parts of life. Here're my models:

Masculinity: Clint Eastwood
    Charisma: Chris Hemsworth
    Fitness: Leonidas I, any Ancient Greece bodybuilders
    Wit: Robert Downey Jr
    Intellect: Jordan Peterson
    Courage: Leo Major
    Curiosity/Exploration: T.E Lawrence
    Happiness: Les Brown
    Mental Endurance: Tupac Shakur

These are just a few I can point out. I highly recommended looking into their stories and learning more about them.