1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and ego.. and flat earth

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IggyIshness, Sep 18, 2017.

1. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

I just thought of something.. People use religion to escape the fact that they are insignificant in this huge universe. They use it to comfort themselves, and to make themselves feel better about death and all. These "Flat Earthers" Really underestimate the size of earth, And it really shows that they just cant accept the fact that they are just insignificant. I honestly see being on a flat earth trapped depressing and sad, And a universe adventurous and beautiful..

2. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

People "use" all sorts of things to escape the fact that they are insignificant. I don't think religion is uniquely suited to this. Politics is a great example of this. Or any number of pet causes, such as "saving the planet". In fact, i'd argue that you'll find more egomaniacs (people who have an inflated sense of their personal significance) outside of religion than inside religion. After all, one of the core pillars of most world religions is humility, which is a proper understanding of ones position w/r/t an all-powerful God.

3. Holy shit!!! I can't believe no ones thought of this stupid idea yet...oh wait...it has been thought up and it's utterly ridiculous.

Which is easier to cope with:
    1. The belief that nothing happens after death. No eternal consequences for our actions. Just lights out
    2. Immediately after your death you're taken to a judgment seat and you have to render account for everything you've done and have failed to do. Keeping in mind your eternal reward or punishment will be decided by your adherents to a set of commandments.
    Hmmmm. Yeah option 2 is way more comforting....umm NOT!

Also as noonoon pointed out, religions require their follows to practice humility, which in the most basic terms is accepting your insignificance in relation to God.

Flat Earthers are just obsessed with conspiracies. They believe everyone and everything is lying to them, even despite the fact they can't give a motive for why they're being lied to.

4. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

You offended me, Im going to blame my parents now.

You dont think its egoistic to believe that we live in a world made for us?

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Religions are made for humans. Humans are not made for religions..

noonoon and Deleted Account like this.
  6. Some people may use religion for that but I don't think you can say that about everyone who's religious. People believe what they believe for a range of reason and I don't think you can summarise it in 79 worded post.

7. Sure, I believe that would be egotistical; however, that's not what the major religions believe. They believe humans were created to be stewards of the world. Meaning, they believe they were created to take care of the world which is why humans have the ability to create, harness, and to some degree control certain aspects of nature.

I know you think this word play is clever and profound, but it's just a huge cliché. Religion is not only made for man, but man is perfectly designed for religion since we have an intellect and a will. A desire to know truth and conform to it. Religions purpose is to bind man to the type of truth which could only be revealed aka purpose. You see revealed truths are where man finds the answeres to "why" and observable truths are where man finds the answers to "how".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  8. And what's the practical defination of religion!! To divide among humans. I have faced religious racism many times and only a person like me will know the pain of it..

9. That would be incorrect. The practical definition of religion is to bind...

IMG_0719.jpg

I'm sorry you've faced that and there's no excuse for that type of treatment towards others, but one must not allow the abuse of some to distort the true meaning and purpose of religion.

This would be like being an American and hating the constitution because of the abuse, corruption, and perversion of those who have been in power.

10. EddyFriend

EddyFriend Fapstronaut

I know that I am insignificant.
    What am I really in universe?
    NOTHING
    Religious am I nevertheless.

11. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

Hmm....I hear a big debate coming. I apparently haven't had a debate in about a year, so let me gather my ammo. Are you ready,@EddyFriend ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Deleted Account and EddyFriend like this.
  12. EddyFriend

EddyFriend Fapstronaut

Hahaha. Lets e go

13. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

Let's start.

Your opinion doesn't matter here.

Your opinion doesn't matter here.

Yes, I agree. Flat earthers don't accept scientific facts.

14. He's not saying flat earthers are necessarily religious, but that they are similar to religious people because he incorrectly equates being religious with the need to escape ones own insignificance. The irony here is he's accusing religion for this mentally when religion actually requires its followers to accept their insignificance in order to grow.

15. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

I know right. I wonder why do some atheists need to always make up daft claims to just attack religion.

16. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Why are flat-earthers even worth talking about? Do you know any, personally? I do not.

I know there are websites devoted to it -- that is, genuinely devoted to promoting the idea -- but I'm guessing it's a very tiny group of people who subscribe to that foolishness.

17. I don't really agree with the notion that religious people "use" religion as a coping mechanism. I'm sure some people do. But I just care about what's true, not what "feels" good. I don't believe in God because it "feels" better to believe in God. I believe in God because it's logical to me. In a lot of ways, it's easier to live a life without religion. Believing in a higher power that holds you morally accountable for your actions isn't always sunshine and rainbows.

Son of a Bitch and Septimus like this.
  18. Haha I read this post without seeing who wrote it, and I was like "yes! Seriously! Exactly! Who wrote this??" And then I read your name and was like, "oh, well duh, that guy's always right."

Son of a Bitch likes this.
  19. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

Then why are you here, mister?

20. Third_Eye

Third_Eye Guest

Same for people who contribute to believing everything the media says. Flat earth is definitely not the only thing that "truthers" know about.