1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

'Rejection Therapy'... Moving beyond our comfort and into life.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by indiana., Jan 16, 2015.

1. indiana.

indiana. Fapstronaut

Rejection, that cold feeling that makes you want to run back home and hide under the covers.

I started having a hard time with rejection around the same time I got involved with PMO and it compounded over the coming years. At the worst times, I had no friends, only a few people to call, I had nowhere to go. I had isolated from the world and just stayed in my 'hole'. A few years back, I started forcing myself to interact socially, I couldn't take living so disconnected so I would put myself out there. I would invite folks out to lunch or a cup of coffee, go to public places, f someone asked me to get together I'd say yes, etc.. I was trying to heal my life, I still didn't get the addiction aspect behind all this and carried so much shame everywhere I went.

Cut to this morning. I woke up, browsed around on facebook, ad came across this NPR article on 'Rejection Therapy'. It's a great listen, only five minutes long, and may be a lot of help to everyone on here. Basically it's about a guy who got divorced, stopped socially interacting, then found a way to overcome his fear of rejection and how he regained his social connections.

I hope it helps! let me know what y'all think.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150116

2. bandanana

bandanana Fapstronaut

I am honestly intrigued and interested in trying this out. Rejection's one of my biggest fears right now, and since our practicum's coming along, I might as well get used to rejection! :p

3. Geyser

Geyser Fapstronaut

Thanks for the link Indiana. Great Story.

I think most of us here suffer from this on some level. Will have to keep this in mind for after my 30 days. One challenge at a time.

4. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I have a long history of rejection. I can't imagine how many times women told or did things that hurt me to the core. I've been lied to, left behind, turned down on possible hangouts or even dates. What am I doing wrong? Why is this happening to me?? After picking up the pieces of my heart and putting it together again, I went through a phase and at the same time I found nofap. The problem was me. After so much support and some very constructive criticism, I realized the truth about myself: I was insecure, I obviously lacked confidence in my myself, and I was too needy. Not that I didn't deserve to be with another woman or a girlfriend, but I wasn't ready. Theses wonderful supporters told me to focus on MYSELF. Success and confidence doesn't happen overnight. Although rejection therapy sounds good, I don't think it's necessary. I think I've been rejected so many times I'm smart enough not to try again. Not now at least. But I'm finishing school this year and I have a new job waiting for me. I'm focusing on things that make me happy and preoccupied . Sooner or later that special someone will come to me. It's a waste of time for me to keep doing what I was doing before. I think you guys should at least give yourselves a lot of credit for trying. It took me years to get over my rejections but it made me smarter and more cautious . Although getting rejected hurts like a bitch, the pain doesn't last forever and that something else will take its place.