1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Refuge Recovery

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

1. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

How many have looked into it or been to meetings? I've seen a few mentions so was wondering.

SomeRandomNatty and trev like this.
  2. asbgca

asbgca Fapstronaut

I've been to a few meetings. The meditations and format are great. Most people were dealing with substance addictions, so I found it hard to relate. The meetings were quite heavy at times.

The literature's been very helpful. It's a very accessible in to Buddhism for me b/c it's so hands-on and practical. I enjoy these guided meditations: https://refugerecoverypdx.wordpress.com/guidedmeditation/

SomeRandomNatty likes this.
  3. Bit Maestro

Bit Maestro Fapstronaut

Nay.

Heard about it.

I am at a place where I feel addiction is wayward greed and lack of self-discipline and requires one to change themselves.

I would encourage others to check it out if they feel lonely and need support.

4. Nekkhamma

Nekkhamma Fapstronaut

Ive read it, been to a meeting but it was in a place where it wasn't taking off yet and then I moved. I think it's going to help a lot of people, as it's a powerful practice and even though it does seem to incline towards substance abuse, the general format seems to be pretty wide open and inclusive, like "Here's a Buddhist meditative path of recovery for all addictions." It'll be interesting to see how it grows amidst the stuff going on with Noah, but I think it'll pull through as a helpful recovery path for many people. Just my two cents. Thanks for throwing this out there!

5. One thing to realize about these types of recovery groups is that there's an immense variation among individual meetings, even within a single tradition. I attended a few Refuge Recovery meetings, but frankly, I didn't find them all that helpful. As other people have pointed out here, the meetings tend to be dominated by folks with substance addictions. Moreover, very few of them new much about the dharma or were very committed to the Buddhist path. Most of them were young kids who were like "I need help with this addiction, and I don't like the religious vibe of 12-step groups, so I'll check out this Refuge Recovery stuff." But that was just how I experienced the particular group in my city, so I don't want to discourage anyone from reading the books, attending the meetings, and see if it helps.