1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery Work - Frequency & Time Spent

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by HonestyMatters, Jan 9, 2019.

1. HonestyMatters

HonestyMatters Fapstronaut

For those PA's who are serious about their Recovery Work, I'm interested to know what you consider to be enough time spent. I know many of you would be working full time, have kids etc..... Do you still do it daily and on average how many hours do you spend in total on recovery work per week?

2. Rock_Star

Rock_Star Fapstronaut

I'm just going to list everything I do for my recovery.
    • meditate in the morning 20 min daily
    • Call my sponsor on my way to work 30 minute phone call
    • Journal most days 10-30 minutes
    • I do 3 daily's , 30 min
    - tell 2 feelings
    - give 2 compliments
    - and 1 hope for the future
    • I read or listen to an audio book for 30 min a day
    • I do my recovery workbook homework 20-40 min
    • I sometimes help kenzi with hers and also help as a sponsor to other IAs.
    All this time I still have time to spend with my kids and do work around the house, and I still go to work everyday.
    It's about 3 hours daily that I am actively doing recovery work. (this doesn't include date nights) there is no excuse for why anybody should not be working towards recovery. the only reason is because they are refusing to make the effort.

3. HonestyMatters

Thanks @Rock_Star , you certainly are committed and have a great variety of work. You’re a great example of what’s possible if you really want it!!

4. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

I’m lucky if I put in 3 hours per week. There is always room for more, for sure. I’m am certainly not a rockstar like @Rock_Star. That time is split between group sessions and retrospective with the wife. I feel it is more than that though (does NoFap count?). I am not at a point of good work, life, recovery balance. Hoping to make changes there.

Trappist likes this.
  5. HonestyMatters

I think NoFap counts. There's a lot of good information here and it's a source of inspiration. Can I ask what are group sessions? I've seen others mention it before?

6. Now we know why RS is RS.
    • I go to 4 SAA mtgs a week. Take commitments.
    • Most work days up between 4-4:30 to work out 30min
    • Meditate 20 min TM.
    • Meditate 2x if too tired to wo.
    • Pray during day as needed.
    • Mid day or later 20 min meditation, as possible.
    • Pray and or visit local house of worship as needed.
    • NF several hours a week
    • Misc phone calls and talks with program people.
    • Varies on weekend, read, write or meet and talk.
    • recovery activities always morphing
    Writing it down
    is an interesting exercise.

Edit; this work grew
    with things I’ve found
    or was guided to.

Seems there are many ways home.
    Changes will continue,
    Until further notice.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Nugget9 and HonestyMatters like this.
  7. NF4L

NF4L Fapstronaut

I go to couple of different SA groups, but there is also SAA like @Trappist goes to and even SLAA. There are even CSAT groups as well, usually divided in men and women or for the betrayed or addict.

Trappist likes this.
  8. HonestyMatters

Ok, so different meetings etc... I was thinking perhaps some members had formed small groups of their own here (on NF) to help each other out.

9. HonestyMatters

This is great @Trappist . I think it's wonderful that some of you have set schedules / routines that you are following each week. This is what I have suggested to my husband to do up as well to keep himself on track.

I think seeing others routines like this will help inspire him to create one of his own too. Thanks so much for sharing.

Nugget9 and Trappist like this.
  10. I’m told there are committed groups that meet together with CSATs.
    There are 12 step retreats.
    Inpatient...
    Mine is the lower cost version.

Edit. Grateful to have 2 accountability partners, too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    HonestyMatters likes this.
  11. HonestyMatters

Yes, I think the accountability partners are a great idea. My husband wants me to be / and views me as his accountability partner. This I don't mind except it is sometimes very difficult for me because it's hard to support him when I am struggling with my betrayal trauma and distrust of him. Also, like I said to him recently, me being his accountability partner only works when it suits him. If we are having issues, he doesn't listen to anything I say. So it's like he can just brush me aside whenever he pleases.

TryingHard2Change and Trappist like this.
  12. At NF I have a couple of APs who we chat about our struggles and recovery. This has worked well. I’ve learned from them and they remind me the path is narrow and how we can thrive on it.

I’ve worked with newcomers face to face in SAA. I see some of the denial, self-deception, unwillingness that is so common in addiction.
    Also see the struggle and willingness too, along with recovery in action. And some that don’t and leave. It is so valuable to see this and try to help them as this helps me.

My sponsor wants work from me
    and is from a long line of hard ass sponsors. I think that is best.

But this would seem so destructive to a spouse. It seems like it would be damaging to a relationship on one hand for a PAs spouse to say “that’s bullshit, quit lying to yourself and me.” I know a sponsor, if not doing it exactly right, is asking the newcomer to admit he does not know it all.
    So often.

Firing a sponsee may be a necessary and a growing experience.
    Firing a spouse requires a lawyer.

I try to bring my best and also humility to my SO.
    She lets me be the best man I can,
    in spite of my failings. I’m so grateful for her kindness and love.

I talk to my SO and answer
    what she wants.
    She can read here, but doesn’t,
    I think.
    She is an accountability partner maybe.
    Am accountable to her
    and share what I learn here.

We need all of these
    accountability structures, maybe?

Anyway that’s what
    I think I know today.

13. HonestyMatters

Yes, I think he probably needs both as well. An accountability partner on NF that he can relate to and who understands exactly what he's going through and help keep him on the straight and narrow. And then me, as a different kind of accountability partner, one he can be honest and open with, share his feelings and what he's learning with, be there for him with love and affection and try and keep him accountable on the devices he's using.

Trappist likes this.
  14. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

My hubby spends 30-60 minutes per night (tries to do it minimum of 5 nights per week), a weekly SA meeting with daily calls to his sponsor, and therapy at least twice a month.

Trappist and HonestyMatters like this.
  15. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

I think it's important to note that this time spent on recovery activities didn't happen right away. In fact, it took quite a bit of time for him to get to this point. He started attending SA about 15 months after Dday. That was his first real move towards recovery. Before that he was rationalizing, pretending, still lying (to both me and himself), and trying to hang onto any shred of his addiction that he thought he could get away with. He thought that if he could just pacify me enough, he wouldn't really have to change.

It is a process, and a slow one at that. Real positive changes won't happen until the lightbulb goes off in an addict's head exactly how detrimental the addiction is - to themselves and those around him.

HonestyMatters and Trappist like this.
  16. Someone at a meeting
    said this exact thing last night.

This may be the slow building of wisdom like small LED elements eventually appearing as a string of Christmas lights?

EyesWideOpen likes this.
  17. HonestyMatters

I've been wanting him to make a planner of some sort to keep him on track which he's struggled to do so this morning I made this up on excel so he can print it, and pin it up somewhere. The idea is just tick off and note the minutes on the things he's chosen to do on that day. It'll also inform me approximately the time he's putting in and on what, as it's a boundary of mine that he do a minimum amount of recovery work each week. Any thoughts/feedback?

upload_2019-1-12_10-44-37.png

18. HonestyMatters

No problem! What a great idea! :p

Jennica and Trappist like this.
  19. What a sweet thing you
    made for your hubby.
    I think.

@AnonymousAnnaXOXO
    Might use as much?

Nice list, mine are hand written except for basic meetings I keep.

Buy in is important, edited to fit?

I know my activities were slow to become what they are. They change as I’ve grown into this.

I love parts of it that note cuddling.
    Like a card that is a coupon for such.

:)

Funny, I wondered if these could be a check list
    to do at least some number per day. A la carte...

20. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

This looks great! I hope he appreciates it. My husband has a few different spreadsheets for various areas of his recovery. Excel is a wonderful thing.

Trappist and HonestyMatters like this.